Subject: FAQ - answers to Unbroken rule questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out Unbroken: solo game of survival and revenge.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been receiving several questions from folks enjoying the Print and Play as well as the Table Top Simulator versions. I am providing the answers to these below in case it would be helpful. The questions and suggestions will be very helpful for the next iteration of the rulebook / instructions.

Q: The Heroic Perseverance, Grim Determination, and Inventive skills state that if the action is used in battle, another action can be performed immediately afterwards. Does this allow me to attack with my weapon? Or is it limited to general/combat actions?

A: After taking this action you can either make an attack or another action. Wording as it is currently is not accurate and will be updated to “can take another turn” following this action.

Q: If a monster (e.g. the Ogre) rolls "Defend" (monster ignores your next attack), can I skip my following turn and then successfully attack on the turn after that?

A: Defend effects allow the monster to ignore your next attack, whenever it takes place, so skipping a turn would not let the Defend effect “expire”.

Q: Dangerous Idea has no downside; even when you're on level 4, it's a 2-to-1 chance you'll gain time in a roll. Rules as written allow her to use it as often as you want in the Travel Phase.

A: You can only use Character abilities a number of times equal to current Level (once on Level 1, twice on Level 2 etc.). At the beginning of each round, place tokens on the character sheet to note remaining number of ability uses. Remove a token every time you use a character’s ability.

Q: The Gremlin's ambush effect says lose Cunning x2. It doesn't tell me to lose effort if I don't have cunning, like most effects do; does this mean nothing happens if I don't have cunning?

A: Correct, if an effect instructs you to lose a resource you do not have and no alternative effect is listed – nothing happens.

Q: Regarding the Sneak's ability "Take a Peak": May I choose to use this after revealing the first two encounter cards during exploration step? Or do I have to spend the ability before revealing any encounter cards?

A: “Take a Peek” is a Travel Action. These can only be taken during the Preparation Step of the Travel phase. So first you decide if you use it or not, then proceed to reveal the number of cards modified by any actions / other effects.

Q: Does the Amnesia condition (spend two small effort when using a skill) affect the characters' innate abilities?

A: No, Amnesia only affects Skills, not Character Abilities.

Q: When winning, is it allowed to eat less than 4 food and take the effort penalty even if I have 4+ food, in order to score higher?

A: Absolutely. Not eating a Food that you have is an option during any Hunger phase.

Q: May I use the "Berserk" power to deal +1 damage to a monster's armor? (It simply reads "the power of your attacks is +1 on your next turn", while most effects specify wounds).

A: No. Berserk skill only applies to attacks inflicting wounds, not breaking armor. The text should read “power of your attacks inflicting wounds” instead.

Q: The Gnolls number six (6) ability says lose knife/chalice/wood/food or two SE. What happens if i have one or more of those but not all of them? Do i just lose 2 SE because i don't have them all? or do i lose 2 SE per item i don't have?

A: If the Gnoll rolls a 6 you must lose one unit of either Metal, Treasure, Wood or Food. If you have none of these resources – you lose 2 Small Effort instead.

Q: Can I take a general action along with an attack during combat? For example, when fighting the Kobold, could I spend 8 small effort to get 2 medium effort, and then use that to deal 3 damage and defeat the Kobold?

A: No, taking a general action consumes your turn. You would need 2 rounds to focus and then 1 round to use the Bare Hands attack to inflict 3 wounds. Scouting a monster helps plan such things in advance so that you could know that you’ll need two Medium Efforts and have these prepared before combat starts.

Q: During combat, do I get to attack OR perform an action? Or can I do both? Can I perform multiple actions? Are there restrictions on the timing of actions performed?

A: You may either make an attack or take an action. Some skills (e.g. Inventive) will allow you to take an action and then take another turn. Some skills (e.g. Brawler’s “I’ve Seen Worse” or the Resistant skill) specifically refer to the timing of when you use these.

Q: For the “Patient” skill, do I have to have some time left over before the battle in order to use this? Or does the time spent get taken off from the next level (so if I used it once, I would start the next level with one fewer time)?

A: Once combat begins you set the Time tracker to the starting point of the next Level (or remove it completely if you are fighting a Level IV monster). If any effect causes you to lose/spend Time during the combat – you lose it from the Time allotted for the next level. For Level 4 fights – since there is no longer a Time tracker – you lose 1 Small Effort every time you would lose a Time.

Q: Does the extra cost to attack the Gremlin only apply if you have a Treasure at the beginning of the fight?

A: No. The “extra attack and +1 to attacks” effect applies if the player has a Treasure at the beginning of the fight. The extra Cunning cost of weapon attacks applies regardless of whether you have a Treasure or not.

If you have any other rule questions - please do not hesitate to ask and I will provide a clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Todd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wittier Remark
badge
Wittiest Remark
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm writing this as I play. Part feedback, part questions!

Questions!

Q1. When revealing encounters, what if you can't apply the effects of either card as you don't have the resources? Is it a forced rest?

Q2. What if you can't apply the monsters ambush effect? Do you just apply as much as possible?

Q3. If i kill the monster during my turn, does it get to take its turn? Likewise in hard mode when the monster goes first, if it kills me do i still get to take my turn? The fact that the Battle Outcome step comes after implies everyone gets a turn before the result is determined, but the special effect of the cave bear (cave bear attacks after being defeated) implies they don't!

Q4. Are skills spent when used? Presumably not.

Feedback

F1. The effort icons could do with being clearer. In particular, the medium effort icon actually looks like more effort than the large effort icon to me.

F2. The cunning icon doesn't look "foxy" enough!

F3. Placing markers on the 0 of the monsters wounds and armor track - i prefer to have these set to the values on the monsters card instead and then tick down, rather than ticking up from 0. I think that reduces the chances of making a mistake.

F4. If there was an option to have dials instead of tokens and tracks I'd bite your hand off. Personal preference but I find the tokens too fiddly.

F5. Congratulations on what I found to be a very logically laid out rulebook. I would find a turn summary appendix useful for quick reference if there is the possibility of having one, or even an additional reference card for the table.

F6. It would be cool to be able to improve your armor in a similar way to your weapons.

F7. Finally, I'm excited about this. Looking forward to the Kickstarter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
thesalmon wrote:
Q3. If i kill the monster during my turn, does it get to take its turn? Likewise in hard mode when the monster goes first, if it kills me do i still get to take my turn? The fact that the Battle Outcome step comes after implies everyone gets a turn before the result is determined, but the special effect of the cave bear (cave bear attacks after being defeated) implies they don't!

The bear goes down ripping you apart with its huge paw.
Aside from that, how can you fight back if you're dead already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Simon thanks for asking the questions! (and good to connect on Twitter!)

Q1. When revealing encounters, what if you can't apply the effects of either card as you don't have the resources? Is it a forced rest?

A: Yes, you must rest for the duration of one of the cards as you can't take advantage of the encounter on either.

Q2. What if you can't apply the monsters ambush effect? Do you just apply as much as possible?

A: Yes, you must apply as much as possible. E.g. if you have no cunning and the Gremlin ambushes you (Ambush: Lose 2 Cunning) - nothing happens. If you have 2 Food and the Troll ambushes you (Lose 3 Food, Troll attacks once for each Food you could not lose) - you lose your 2 Food and the Troll attacks you once.

A: You die as soon as you have to spend Effort and can't.
The monster is defeated as soon as you have inflicted number of wounds equal to their health. Battle Outcome is not a step in itself (not labeled as such) but rather a description of what happens if either of these conditions is met during the Battle Step. The Cave Bear's Special effect is an exception to this rule for the reasons Raz colourfully (and correctly) describes above.

Q4. Are skills spent when used? Presumably not.

A: Skills remain with you unless an effect specifically instructs you to lose one.

Thanks so much for your suggestions - I am keeping track of these to see what kind of things people are having issues with. The armor system was in place in the earlier versions but was discarded because it was making things more complex than they needed to be. Perhaps it will make a comeback in an expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felonious Tub
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Get off my face!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Simon on all of his feedback. I always play by setting the armour and health on the number instead of 0 and I would also love to see dials as trackers too. So much easier than tokens.

By the way, I'm really enjoying this game. Still haven't won but come close a couple of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lindley
United Kingdom
Larkfield, Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: If the monster has armour and I don't have the resources to break it (e.g. carrying a knife but have no cunning), does that mean I'm unable to beat the monster?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatNiceMan wrote:
Q: If the monster has armour and I don't have the resources to break it (e.g. carrying a knife but have no cunning), does that mean I'm unable to beat the monster?

1.Unless you have skill that bypasses armor you'd have to downgrade your weapon and hope it doesn't need cunning. (Appendix A)

2. You can use a general action to focus Small effort into cunning.

Both these actions will eat up your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lindley
United Kingdom
Larkfield, Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thesalmon wrote:

F4. If there was an option to have dials instead of tokens and tracks I'd bite your hand off. Personal preference but I find the tokens too fiddly.

Dials - assuming like King of Tokyo or X-Wing Miniatures - are fine if you're altering them occasionally but if you're doing it after each encounter then you have to pick up your stat board each time.

Personally, I'd love for it to be recessed or a cutout like with Scythe where your cubes sit in a box rather than on an area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatNiceMan wrote:
Personally, I'd love for it to be recessed or a cutout like with Scythe where your cubes sit in a box rather than on an area.

That was our $95k stretch-goal so good news for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
[q] You can only use Character abilities a number of times equal to current Level (once on Level 1, twice on Level 2 etc.). At the beginning of each round, place tokens on the character sheet to note remaining number of ability uses. Remove a token every time you use a character’s ability.
/q]
I see where it refers to putting the skill indicators each round, but I don't see in the rulebook where it says that you spend them to take those actions. What section is it under?

[q="kladan"]
Q: During combat, do I get to attack OR perform an action? Or can I do both? Can I perform multiple actions? Are there restrictions on the timing of actions performed?

A: You may either make an attack or take an action. Some skills (e.g. Inventive) will allow you to take an action and then take another turn. Some skills (e.g. Brawler’s “I’ve Seen Worse” or the Resistant skill) specifically refer to the timing of when you use these.

/q]

Just to clarify here, this isn't an action that's specifically taken right? It's just kind of a passive effect that uses a skill token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Appendix B : Characters

"Each character has several unique abilities listed on their character sheet. In each level, you can use your character’s abilities a number of times equal to the current level. This is tracked by removing a token from your character sheet each time you use the ability"

There is no reason why this core rules should have been hidden in the Appendix. It will be better highlighted in the final version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terrence Miltner

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May have missed this else where. But if I roll a 6 against the Shrieking Fungus and add two for the ambush, do I call that a 6 again? That makes 4 5 6 all sixes and a lot of rerolls.

Or did I miss something in the FAQ or elsewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you got it. Just try to not be ambushed. The 6 is only a reroll if it grants you a condition you already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kalodoukas
msg tools
Question
If you dont have enought time to spent for the encounter you choose the time goes to 0 but you get the reward of the encounter ? And then you are ambushed or you dont get the reward and you are immedietly ambushed ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnyb1994 wrote:
Question
If you dont have enought time to spent for the encounter you choose the time goes to 0 but you get the reward of the encounter ? And then you are ambushed or you dont get the reward and you are immedietly ambushed ?

If you are ambushed and should get below 0 time you still get the benefits of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jona Nelson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
I also came across an interesting combo which lead me to a question:

Skill Berserk:
Can you use the skill on a rolled 5 or even 6?

Combination with Brawlers "I've seen worse": Can you use the Berserk skill on the first roll and, reroll it with the Brawler's Ive seen worse, use the second skill and still profit form the +1 on your next attack?

Seems a bit strange to me, but there is nothing that says otherwise...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can use it on a roll of 5 or 6. A combat action roll cannot be modified beyond a 6 so in both these cases it would be considered a 6.

Berserk skill would apply to whichever result you chose to keep after using the Brawlers "I've seen worse" ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jona Nelson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
So, when applying the Berserk and the I've seen worse ability at the same time, the Berserk skill would have to be applied to the roll I use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
constantine deligiorgis
msg tools
Concentraition skill plus grim determination make infinite effort or i do something wrong in the rules
Oh corect it, can't play skill actions on travel just general and travel actions ok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Constantine

You are correct and it will be fixed in time for release.
For now to fix it please treat the action on the Concentrate skill as a Combat action only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kalodoukas
msg tools
Playing more more rule questions came up
1) the memorize skill of sage can be used agter i reveal the ecounter card or before. I know that says after the encounter step but this is the effect , my question is when do have to spent the skill point to use this action .
2) do multiple actions -skills stack ? For exqple xn i use orienteer 2 times before the ecounter step so i would reveal 6 cards . Or can i use to skill points or more i have to the flexible skill of sneqk so i reveal 4 skill cards etc.
3)when monster cards state omething about attacks this i for weapon attack only or skills included . Ex: ingnores your next attack . Is there anyway i can deal dmg ? Or anything i do ,for example with e combat action skill will be ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@John

1. The Sage's Memorize Skill is used after you finish an encounter (or rest). If you have a character ability use remaining (you start each level with # equal to that level - for example 2 uses of her abilities on level 2) - you can use one of these to place one of the cards you did not use back on top of the Encounter deck - that will be the card you will encounter next.

2. Yes they do unless noted otherwise.

3. Monster cards will specify whether restrictions apply to attacks or to both attacks and actions. Most of the restrictions only apply to the attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jona Nelson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
To make 3) a little clearer:

When a monster ingnores your next attack, you can still deal damage through actions. For example using cunning to poison the monster (I don't know the name of the skill at the moment) would still deal damage.

HOWEVER since the monsters effect just states, it ignores your next attack, this is still in place. So for example if you come across a monster, that has "ignores your next attack" as a special ability and you do 2 actions to deal damage, your first attack would still be ignored.

Follow up question:
If a monster ingnores my attack, do I have to spend resources? And is breaking armor considered an attack in this example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veghana wrote:
To make 3) a little clearer:

When a monster ingnores your next attack, you can still deal damage through actions. For example using cunning to poison the monster (I don't know the name of the skill at the moment) would still deal damage.

HOWEVER since the monsters effect just states, it ignores your next attack, this is still in place. So for example if you come across a monster, that has "ignores your next attack" as a special ability and you do 2 actions to deal damage, your first attack would still be ignored.

Follow up question:
If a monster ingnores my attack, do I have to spend resources? And is breaking armor considered an attack in this example?

Attacks are actions that are used through your weapons (including bare hands). So Armor breaking would count.
You still have to pay the cost in resources.

Skill actions that do damage won't get ignored by the monster indeed, but you'll have to remember to ignore the first attack you do after you rolled the ignore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.