Popular Tags: organized [+] [View All]
Jason Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been playing the base set a bit, and are enjoying it quite a bit.

While we probably need another run through of this campaign to try out the other character classes, this is our first LCG. (Am familiar with CCGs though.) However, I am having trouble understanding where we need to go from here.

It seems that getting a second base set might be a good starting point, but beyond that are the newer sets in Arkham counting on you to have the older ones in-between it?

I get that the bigger boxes have new campaigns, but what do the small sets offer?

Thank you,
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the "small sets" are serial continuations of one or the other of the campaigns in the boxed expansions, and also include new player cards that can be added to any deck (subject to character restrictions and experience expenditure).

The two or three exceptions are "Scenario Packs" that are stand-alone adventures, eligible for putting into other campaigns or playing on their own. They don't have any new player cards.

See the BGG wiki breaking down the expansion series on the game's main page, and/or look at the FFG website, where the relationships between the expansions are all detailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The deluxe expansions (Dunwich Legacy, Path to Carcosa) have more player cards, and two new adventures per pack, which are then continued in the smaller packs of each cycle. All in all, each cycle has 8 adventures, 2 in the deluxe pack and then one in each of the 6 mythos packs.

You can start with Dunwich, or hop straight into Carcosa if that sounds more interesting to you.

My advice would be to get Dunwich, since you get more player cards in that box, plus two new adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible to buy anything next, but if you want a coherent story, getting a full Campaign (one big box, six small packs, all marked either Dunwich or Carcosa) is a great (not cheap) purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's just the two of you, I'd go with the next narrative cycles. The standalone scenarios are fun (i've only played carnivale and rougarou) but really hard. At least they were for me solo.

The narrative cycles each include a deluxe box (2 scenarios) followed by six adventure packs (1 scenario each) that continue that story to it's conclusion. Each expansion box and pack also includes new player cards, though only the deluxe boxes include new investigators. Each cycle is self contained. So only the packs within that cycle require the associated deluxe box to play. The cycles themselves can be played in any order you wish. Though it's possible that purchasing a newer expansion (and subsequently making those player cards available) could make the older scenarios easier.

EDIT: Just my personal opinion, but I'd say one core set is good enough for just the two of you. My gf and I play this together as well without much problem. We try to play complementary investigators (if she is high combat, I play high investigation) so there is hardly any overlap among the cards we want to play. Each expansion adds new content to the player card pool, so the "limited" number of cards will soon become a non-issue.

Dunwich Legacy
D. Dunwich Legacy deluxe expansion
1. Miskatonic Museum adventure pack
2. The Essex County Express adventure pack
3. Blood on the Altar adventure pack
4. Undimensioned and Unseen adventure pack
5. Where Doom Awaits adventure pack
6. Lost in Time and Space adventure pack

The Path to Carcosa
D. The Path to Carcosa deluxe expanson
1. Echoes of the Past adventure pack
2. The Unspeakable Oath adventure pack
3. A Phantom of Truth adventure pack (pre-order)
4. The Pallid Mask adventure pack (pre-order)
5. Black Stars Rise adventure pack (pre-order)
6. Dim Carcosa adventure pack (pre-order)

Stand-Alone Scenarios
1. Curse of the Rougarou
2. Carnevale of Horrors
3. The Labyrinths of Lunacy (pre-order)

More details on the products can be found on FFG's website here:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:

See the BGG wiki breaking down the expansion series on the game's main page, and/or look at the FFG website, where the relationships between the expansions are all detailed.

Thank you very much, I was looking in the forums & at the FFG website, but was having a hard time understanding the relationship, other than that they were grouped together. In my search for a guide I completely overlooked the BGG Wiki. blush

Thank you all for the very helpful responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.M. Diller
United States
North Street
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rican919 wrote:

EDIT: Just my personal opinion, but I'd say one core set is good enough for just the two of you. My gf and I play this together as well without much problem. We try to play complementary investigators (if she is high combat, I play high investigation) so there is hardly any overlap among the cards we want to play. Each expansion adds new content to the player card pool, so the "limited" number of cards will soon become a non-issue.

Agreed. If you're going to buy more content you'll soon have plenty of cards. I suppose a 2nd set would be good if you were fixed on playing the same class, but otherwise not needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the subject of whether to buy a 2nd core - it really depends.

If you want to start constructing your own decks, then you may find you want that 2nd core, because many of the core set player cards are very useful and things you want to be able to draw consistently.

However, if you sleeve your cards, a compromise solution to begin with is to proxy the cards you want duplicates of. This allows you to experiment with deck construction and to figure out if a 2nd core is a worthwhile investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Last night we went to our FLGS and picked up The Dunwich Legacy & and the mythos packs for it.

We decided to hold off on the second base set for now.

Now we just have to figure out how to store all of these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

(BCW "shoebox" and ArtBin bobbin box)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, I have the little plastic hobby boxes already, so this works out perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also use BCW, but opted for the bigger size (3200 count) so it will last a while. In the meantime, a playmat also happens to fit perfectly in one of the lanes.

The stuff in the bags are extra bling, bases and path markers for making the "maps" easier to follow. It helps my gf remember where she can travel from one location to another.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1850262/deluxe-path-markers...

The box itself is only $4 USD at coolstuff. Might be able to find them at a FLGS.
https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/146005
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell me what the dividers are in your box? On the left hand side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For dividers, you need to "shop" the BGG files area. There's a cornucopia of free dividers in different styles for printing there (including the ones pictured).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Well, I can't think you all enough. Such an amazing community! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jholder29 wrote:
Can you tell me what the dividers are in your box? On the left hand side?

Ryno initially created them for Lord of the Rings LCG and Arkham Horror LCG, but has since gone pretty quiet.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/142433/arkham-horror-lcg-...

Fortunately, another user, Malarick, has since picked up where Ryno left off and continued creating dividers.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/155987/arkham-horror-lcg-...

I suggest printing them on 60lb card stock. It's also pretty inexpensve. I use these:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Georgia-Pacific-White-Cardstock-P...

I will say that the dividers stand taller than the box itself. So to prevent the lid from crushing the dividers, I cut out pieces of cardboard (from other shipping boxes) to the same height of the dividers and attached them to the the BCW lanes like support struts for the lid to sit on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also printed and glued the investigator tuckboxes from templates created by SirWilli:
http://sirwillibald.com/games/descent-2nd-edition/arkham-hor...

They are pretty handy for keeping track of our decks in-between scenarios and look really nice. I also use them to store the investigator specific cards.

SirWilli's work has been pretty amazing all of these years. I also use his tuckboxes to store my X-Wing and Armada stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had no height problems in my shoebox for the "Arkhamesque" vertical dividers.

Arkhamesque Vertical Dividers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jholder29 wrote:
Great. Well, I can't think you all enough. Such an amazing community! :-)

Happy to help! It's a great game, and the community creates such useful (and affordable) solutions for organizing and making the gameplay more accessible. My gf is normally not into rules-heavy, fiddly games that have lots of nuance, but this was one she really enjoyed. And I attribute much of her interest to fan-made content, since it allows her to focus on the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
I've had no height problems in my shoebox for the "Arkhamesque" vertical dividers.

I think the height for your shoebox is taller than the 3200 count shoebox. Ideal for any dividers it appears. I can tell the lane partitions are flush with the top of the box in the 3200 count box, but your box seems to extend taller than the partitions. I didn't know BCW had designed the boxes that differently. Good to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rican919 wrote:
I think the height for your shoebox is taller than the 3200 count shoebox. Ideal for any dividers it appears. I can tell the lane partitions are flush with the top of the box in the 3200 count box, but your box seems to extend taller than the partitions. I didn't know BCW had designed the boxes that differently. Good to know.

Ah! I think you're right. I initially chose to go with the 1600-count size (despite expecting to outgrow it eventually) because my plan is to keep one shoebox with player cards and the current campaign cycle (or two). I expect as my collection grows, it will have some cycles "mothballed" in a second box of basically inactive cards. I still haven't outgrown the first box, although I'm sure it would be pretty full if I sleeved everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Pyne
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you supper into it. Get second cheap used copy of the core set if you play with 3-4. Then go for a campaign cycle. It is a bit pricy, but going though by local store with membership discount makes it feasible. And I'm very into it, probably played each campaign 7-10 times. There is a lot or deployability via different characters, players, player counts, and difficulties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to mention I keep my rulebooks and scenario inserts in a binder, each in their own binder sleeve. Then when I want a particular scenario, I just flip to it in the binder. Multipage scenario inserts (the ones that come in the adventure packs) I'll will cut into separate pages if they are more than one. Also to make it easier to read the narratives aloud and then describe the objectives/rules of the scenario.

I also photocopy the campaign logs for the cycles and keep those in the binder as well. A thin piece of cardboard separates them from the rules so that writing on the logs won't damage the rules. This is also for ease of access so that the gf and I can quickly pick up where we left off, and so that we can see how we did in previous campaigns compared to subsequent replays. I take note of the pros/cons of our decks in each particular scenario, as well as any interesting emergent stories that occurred. Just something fun to look back on to memorialize any craziness that happened.

Sounds like a lot of work. But once it's put together, getting a game together on the table is pretty quick.

Sheet protectors: $6.88 for 100 sheet protectors
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3ROXI6/ref=oh_aui_deta...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As shown above, I still just keep rules documents and campaign logs in the original game box. That's been no problem so far, although once we get to the third or fourth cycle I might want a binder -- in which I'd also put decklists for current and past characters with comments on their performance, etc. That's the system I eventually used for Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I started putting the scenarios in a binder as suggested, as well as ordered the box to hold the cards.

We should be all set once the weekend gets here for a new campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.