Popular Tags: [View All]
Darin LaGarry
United States
Massena
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see some solo variants popping up here. This is one I came up with that balances several things including keeping the town from being destroyed. My first few playthoughs have been nail biters. Comments are welcome.

Enchanters Solo Variant v1.03
by Darin LaGarry

Note that throughout:
monster = dragon or monster

Setup: same as a 2 player game. Prepare the deck as usual. Deal the initial enchantments and items, then:
> Give the town 30 health. You can use crystal tokens to track remaining health on the town. I put the tokens right on the town card.

Play as usual with the following exceptions:
> After each of your turns, roll a six sided die and discard the corresponding card from play (1=card next to the town). If there is no card at that position (because the deck is exhausted) then there is no effect. If you roll a 1 and there is a monster at that position, there is no effect. If a card is removed, move all the other cards over as usual and deal a new card to position 6.
> If a monster is not defeated before it gets to the town (position 1), then deal damage to the town equaling the attack value of the monster at the END of each full turn the monster remains there. Note that the six-sided die roll counts as a turn also! So if a monster remains at the end of your turn it will do more damage to the town during the dice roll unless the villagers kill it (see below).
> Additionally, the townsfolk do 1 damage to the monster each full turn the monster remains there. Use the health tokens to track damage to the monster. Note that this decreases the monster defense value. If the townsfolk kill the monster before you, then discard it.
> Do NOT remove the attacking monster during a rest action... instead remove the card at position 2.
> If the town health reaches 0 then you have lost.
> Cards that affect other players health will affect the town also. For example, the giant "attacks all players" will also attack the town. The town has 0 defense.
> You can during your turn spend X crystals to heal the town X points if your health is -10 or better. This counts as a major action similar to resting. You must discard a card when doing this similar to resting.

Scoring: count your score as usual, then add the remaining health of the town as additional points. If your score is above 0 you win! See below to see how well you did:

001-020: Wiggly Worm
021-040: Apprentice
041-060: Journeyman
061-080: Adept
081-100: Master
101-120: Grandmaster
121+ : Archmage

For something a little more challenging:
> Use a town health to 20 instead of 30.
> When resting, rather than removing the card at position 2 when there is a monster present in position 1, remove the first non-monster card starting from position 2. If there are no non-monster cards in the journey track, then nothing is removed for this rest action. This creates a dangerous, nasty line of concentrated monsters. I prefer this option when I play.

2-Player Variant
----------------
This variant uses the same rules above but for two players, creating a coop/vs balanced variant. Players must cooperate to keep the town from being overrun while competing for the highest overall score.

Setup: Same setup as the solo variant

Play changes:
> Instead of rolling a six sided, the 2nd player will take a turn.
> If the town takes any damage from a monster and the monster is defeated by a player, the other player must discard a monster from their personal stack to atone for their shame. If the town defeats the monster then all players must discard a monster from their pile. If the monster never attacks the town then there is no penalty.
> As above both players lose if the town is destroyed.

Scoring:
> Score the same way as the solo version. The player with the highest score above 0 wins!

Change Log
----------
1.01: Added more "challenge" options.
1.02: Added 2-Player Variant.
1.03: Minor wording changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin LaGarry
United States
Massena
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a 2-Player variant that uses the solo rules. I played it a few times and we really enjoyed it! In both cases the town was almost destroyed and our scores were close!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lap Tran
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ddlagarry wrote:
Glad to see some solo variants popping up here. This is one I came up with that balances several things including keeping the town from being destroyed. My first few playthoughs have been nail biters. Comments are welcome.

Enchanters Solo Variant v1.03
by Darin LaGarry

Note that throughout:
monster = dragon or monster

Setup: same as a 2 player game. Prepare the deck as usual. Deal the initial enchantments and items, then:
> Give the town 30 health. You can use crystal tokens to track remaining health on the town. I put the tokens right on the town card.

Play as usual with the following exceptions:
> After each of your turns, roll a six sided die and discard the corresponding card from play (1=card next to the town). If there is no card at that position (because the deck is exhausted) then there is no effect. If you roll a 1 and there is a monster at that position, there is no effect. If a card is removed, move all the other cards over as usual and deal a new card to position 6.
> If a monster is not defeated before it gets to the town (position 1), then deal damage to the town equaling the attack value of the monster at the END of each full turn the monster remains there. Note that the six-sided die roll counts as a turn also! So if a monster remains at the end of your turn it will do more damage to the town during the dice roll unless the villagers kill it (see below).
> Additionally, the townsfolk do 1 damage to the monster each full turn the monster remains there. Use the health tokens to track damage to the monster. Note that this decreases the monster defense value. If the townsfolk kill the monster before you, then discard it.
> Do NOT remove the attacking monster during a rest action... instead remove the card at position 2.
> If the town health reaches 0 then you have lost.
> Cards that affect other players health will affect the town also. For example, the giant "attacks all players" will also attack the town. The town has 0 defense.
> You can during your turn spend X crystals to heal the town X points if your health is -10 or better. This counts as a major action similar to resting. You must discard a card when doing this similar to resting.

Scoring: count your score as usual, then add the remaining health of the town as additional points. If your score is above 0 you win! See below to see how well you did:

001-020: Wiggly Worm
021-040: Apprentice
041-060: Journeyman
061-080: Adept
081-100: Master
101-120: Grandmaster
121+ : Archmage

For something a little more challenging:
> Use a town health to 20 instead of 30.
> When resting, rather than removing the card at position 2 when there is a monster present in position 1, remove the first non-monster card starting from position 2. If there are no non-monster cards in the journey track, then nothing is removed for this rest action. This creates a dangerous, nasty line of concentrated monsters. I prefer this option when I play.

2-Player Variant
----------------
This variant uses the same rules above but for two players, creating a coop/vs balanced variant. Players must cooperate to keep the town from being overrun while competing for the highest overall score.

Setup: Same setup as the solo variant

Play changes:
> Instead of rolling a six sided, the 2nd player will take a turn.
> If the town takes any damage from a monster and the monster is defeated by a player, the other player must discard a monster from their personal stack to atone for their shame. If the town defeats the monster then all players must discard a monster from their pile. If the monster never attacks the town then there is no penalty.
> As above both players lose if the town is destroyed.

Scoring:
> Score the same way as the solo version. The player with the highest score above 0 wins!

Change Log
----------
1.01: Added more "challenge" options.
1.02: Added 2-Player Variant.
1.03: Minor wording changes.

Thanks for this write-up. Love the game, but the thematic element of protecting the village felt missing from our play throughs. We tried cycling to a new village whenever a monster hits the village, but we kept losing at even 10 villages. The idea of hit points for the village may be what we needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin LaGarry
United States
Massena
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes... this particular variant adds some "peril" to the gameplay which makes a huge difference for me. Also, for two players I like the vs/co-op feel.

Thanks for the comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr A.
Poland
flag msg tools
First of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the nicely crafted and precisely described solo variant for Enchanters! I was looking for one in which one can not only just win or lose but in which there is some kind of scoring telling how well you did.
And, indeed, the aspect of HP of village and that 'letting it be killed' might actually lead to the loss of the game, works perfectly. Good job!

I played solo twice so far, with different set-ups of decks and in different villages (Normaltown, then Dracopolis), both times with villages with 30 HP and in to both cases that the rest can only remove Items or Enchantments. A bit of an issue is that during the first game I scored 98 points (Master), while in the second barely survived (1HP of the village at the end of the game!) Thus, I am not sure how comparable the results are when playing with different decks and in different villages.

Anyway, during the plays I came across the following questions, which I would like to check with you, how you played:

1) How about cards which refer to other players but not their HPs (e.g. Queen of Thieves, Great Old One) Are these triggered? I played that yes, otherwise the 'balance' of some cards (like Great Old One) is distracted, in my opinion.
However, then I bumped into an issue when another player is giving you, e.g. a monster, like with Roc card...

2) Is it possible to 'cure' the village over the original starting number of HPs? I played not.

3) What is actually the order of fight of the townsfolk with a monster. Do townsfolk attack first, then a monster or vice versa? Or, as I played, both do at the same time? That, of course, plays a role when the monster has 1HP.
However, in your rules it is explicitly stated that monsters deal damage to the village 'at the END of each full turn the monster remains there', which would suggest that townsfolk attacks

I hope you will find some time to answer. Many thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin LaGarry
United States
Massena
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vuvool wrote:
First of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the nicely crafted and precisely described solo variant for Enchanters! I was looking for one in which one can not only just win or lose but in which there is some kind of scoring telling how well you did.
And, indeed, the aspect of HP of village and that 'letting it be killed' might actually lead to the loss of the game, works perfectly. Good job!

I played solo twice so far, with different set-ups of decks and in different villages (Normaltown, then Dracopolis), both times with villages with 30 HP and in to both cases that the rest can only remove Items or Enchantments. A bit of an issue is that during the first game I scored 98 points (Master), while in the second barely survived (1HP of the village at the end of the game!) Thus, I am not sure how comparable the results are when playing with different decks and in different villages.

Anyway, during the plays I came across the following questions, which I would like to check with you, how you played:

1) How about cards which refer to other players but not their HPs (e.g. Queen of Thieves, Great Old One) Are these triggered? I played that yes, otherwise the 'balance' of some cards (like Great Old One) is distracted, in my opinion.
However, then I bumped into an issue when another player is giving you, e.g. a monster, like with Roc card...

2) Is it possible to 'cure' the village over the original starting number of HPs? I played not.

3) What is actually the order of fight of the townsfolk with a monster. Do townsfolk attack first, then a monster or vice versa? Or, as I played, both do at the same time? That, of course, plays a role when the monster has 1HP.
However, in your rules it is explicitly stated that monsters deal damage to the village 'at the END of each full turn the monster remains there', which would suggest that townsfolk attacks

I hope you will find some time to answer. Many thanks in advance.

Thanks so much for your interest, glad to see that someone is playing around with this variant. Good questions!

It is very true that different combinations of decks and village cards can have very different results. You should experiment a bit to see what works best!

Now, to answer your questions...

>> Yes when playing with 2 players, you can play other cards that have 2nd player negative effects. The Roc card should be treated the same as any other card in that respect. If however you are playing solo and encounter these cards, you should ignore the other player effects as playing these against the "monster" would give you an unbalanced advantage in many cases, making solo mode a little too easy.

>> You can never go over the original starting HP. So you are correct here.

>> The townsfolk attack is after the player, but before the monster attacks. They basically have lower initiative. For example:

Turn 1:
> You take your turn, play cards, etc.
> Village attack
> Monster damage effects (assuming the monster was adjacent to the town at the beginning of the round)

Turn 2:
> Dice roll and remove card
> Village attack
> Monster damage effects

etc.

Both at the same time is perfectly fine, as long as the monster is last!

Thank you vuvool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr A.
Poland
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. Much appreciated!
I will adjust regarding point 3, fine by me.
And let's see what the next (solo) plays will bring...

Regards,

Piotr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.