Doomtown: Reloaded» Forums » General

Subject: Can a game actually last 6 hours? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maverick Delta
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am asking because a friend of mine claims that all 4 players are experienced players, having played the game a few times, yet their game lasted more than 6 hours...

All official sources says less than an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was first learning, (IIRC) the game could last 90min-2hrs+, then the game shortened to the 60ish min range, sometimes as quick as 30-45. It's been a while since I've played, but I have a real hard time imagining a 6hr game. (I never really did multiplayer though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
More than an hour when learning, but not usually five hours more. That must have been the most amazing combination of deadlocks if nobody could take control at any point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I haven't played enough to see this. First thought is they were purposely avoiding any confrontation, but still ... 6 hours?!?

Second thought is you and a friend are talking about 2 different games. You sure he didn't mean Deadlands: Reloaded? That's the RPG in the same setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maverickdelta wrote:
I am asking because a friend of mine claims that all 4 players are experienced players, having played the game a few times, yet their game lasted more than 6 hours...

Four guys, drinking lots of iced tea and eating too much chili. The ensuing potty breaks. Yeah, 6 hours seems about right.

Seriously, the above posts seem right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perhaps if everyone was playing very defensive decks and kept hiring more and more dudes rather than pushing to remove opposing dudes?

With normal decks this doesn't tend to happen, but if it's a frequent issue I'd experiment with setting a time limit (perhaps 30 mins per player = 2 hours for 4 player game) and then using the standard tie breaker from tournament play? Or perhaps giving a VP each turn to the player with the most CP? It can be fun to experiment.

Multiplayer is naturally a little longer, but generally in a tournament most games are completed inside the 55 minute round time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Doomtown's end game condition is having more Control points than any other player has Influence points. If all players do not play any Control points and/or players keep playing more Influence or avoiding risks to their Influence, the game could go on indefinitely.

This is really a design flaw. The game should force control points into play or erode players Influence automatically. That was not an available option in the relaunch.

You could make do with a house rule. If the total number of Control points in play doesn't change two turns in a row, the game ends and the player with the least Influence wins. If players are tied for least, the higher lowball hand wins. If still tied, players win jointly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. kempy .
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:

You could make do with a house rule. If the total number of Control points in play doesn't change two turns in a row, the game ends and the player with the least Influence wins. If players are tied for least, the higher lowball hand wins. If still tied, players win jointly.

It's not house rule. It's even suggested in original rulebook, p. 31, Rustlin’ Up Some Help, last paragraph.

"If you want to play a shorter multiplayer variant, a player wins if, at
Sundown, that player has more control points than any other player’s
influence (rather than each other player’s influence)."

---

Other option is to set time limit for your games like in pvp tournaments. When time hit, finish actual turn and someone with more CP wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
embrion wrote:
cosine wrote:

It's not house rule. It's even suggested in original rulebook, p. 31, Rustlin’ Up Some Help, last paragraph.

"If you want to play a shorter multiplayer variant, a player wins if, at
Sundown, that player has more control points than any other player’s
influence (rather than each other player’s influence)."

I think Eric is suggesting to let the player who is actually behind on influence (and as such, least responsible for the current stalemate) win.

embrion wrote:
Other option is to set time limit for your games like in pvp tournaments. When time hit, finish actual turn and someone with more CP wins.

In tournaments, time limits are often necessary anyway regardless on any in-game conditions, just because the next round needs to get underway.
In social play though, I'd rather have a maximum number of Sundown phases, after which somebody must win.

You want a houserule like this to finish a game that's come to a halt because nobody is taking enough risks, not a game that's just real tense and still in full progress (with people just needing more time to think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
embrion wrote:
It's not house rule.

Read it again. It is very different. If the total number Control points in play for all players does not change two days in a row, the game ends. Influence would not matter in this special case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game can last six hours if you drag your feet enough. But Doomtown should not last nearly that long under normal conditions.

Either everyone was being overly cautious and refusing to interact, or they were socializing/taking breaks way too much, or they aren't experienced after all? I can't think of any normal reason for the game to take that long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My a stroke of fortune, someone has just published six sensible looking multiplayer decks you can build from a single collection. Most of the decks include a way to force the pace of the game via jobs/forced callouts, and I've dropped a quick suggestion for the couple of decks that are missing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wirges
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Typically when we multiplayer we play Knockout style. Once a player achieves the victory condition against another player they're knocked out - all their dudes leave play and all dudes on their deeds go home booted. I've had Classic Doomtown multiplayer take upwards of 5 but never Reloaded. I've only played one game longer than 75 minutes - and it was a Control Deck mirror match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.