Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Do you think that having no real penalty when losing a scenario is bad for gameplay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that there is no real penalty (except real life game time spent) in losing a scenario, essentially replaying it over and over until you can farm it properly, scooping all the loot and maximizing your party's gains.

Shouldn't there be some kind of penalty in place to give you a motive to push through the scenarios instead of not caring if you actually win or lose?

As a quick 'fix' I'm thinking losing 1 Prosperity each time the party loses a scenario. This will also make raising the difficulty more risky and more intriguing because right now you can always raise the difficulty and farm scenarios until you can win them. (assuming ample free time to play of course but real life limitations shouldn't be a gameplay balancing factor anyway)
Would this break the game in your opinion? Do you find it unnecessary? Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Having to replay the scenario is penalty enough imo, since I'm eager to find out what's going to happen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
I find that there is no real penalty (except real life game time spent) in losing a scenario, essentially replaying it over and over until you can farm it properly, scooping all the loot and maximizing your party's gains.

Shouldn't there be some kind of penalty in place to give you a motive to push through the scenarios instead of not caring if you actually win or lose?

As a quick 'fix' I'm thinking losing 1 Prosperity each time the party loses a scenario. This will also make raising the difficulty more risky and more intriguing because right now you can always raise the difficulty and farm scenarios until you can win them. (assuming ample free time to play of course but real life limitations shouldn't be a gameplay balancing factor anyway)
Would this break the game in your opinion? Do you find it unnecessary? Thoughts?

Wanting to unlock the next scenario is ample motivation for me. Farming a scenario for me would be tedious and result in almost zero fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've thought on this quite a bit. While I'd like a little something to happen on a loss, after about 10 games it doesn't feel necessary. It's annoying enough to lose.

It would be cool, thematically, to have some sort of option to flee separate from losing. On a loss, you get some penalty like losing the gold/xp accumulated, but if you flee you get to keep it.

As it stands now, you can take a losing situation (oops, my tank just had to dump 4 cards to avoid dying), take your XP/coins so far and pack it up. Yea, technically there's no game mechanic for it, but you can assume each player used all their cards to do nothing and exhausted and/or got killed. Seems a bit lame, but saves hours of pursuing a bad situation...once you know you can't win, it ends up as meta-game about optimizing looting and XP gain which I don't find nearly as much fun.

Now, if there was some sort of "flee" mechanic, that might be interesting to try and get out with the goods you've got. Maybe end a turn at least X spaces away and out of LOS (or reach a starting hex). I can just see my Tinker looking at the exhausted Brute next to him and going. "Yea, I'm taking my gold and I'm out of here!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
As a quick 'fix' I'm thinking losing 1 Prosperity each time the party loses a scenario. This will also make raising the difficulty more risky and more intriguing because right now you can always raise the difficulty and farm scenarios until you can win them less likely to be done.

I fixed that for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
But...I *do* care if I win. If I just play Pandemic (not Legacy) or Ghost Stories, or whatever I don't get penalized for losing, but I still want to win.

I mean, it's your game, but I haven't felt any motivational problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You lose. Isn't that bad enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
house rule: when a scenario is lost, each player participating in the scenario must cut off a finger or a toe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
My battery is low and it's getting dark.
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
You lose. Isn't that bad enough?

You may lose, but you still get your participation ribbon.

Personally, I prefer the loss of all xp gained during the scenario and coins/treasures. Sort of like a you had to drop everything and run your butt off to escape with your life.

We also play that you return to Gloomhaven and so a new city and road event must take place. Rather than just restarting the scenario repeatedly over n over ad nauseum.

To each their own though. Remember: It is your game. You play how you and your group want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing a Prosperity is too harsh. It takes A LOT of work to push that Prosperity, and a lot of things hinge on Prosperity gain. You won't experience everything in the game unless you can get your Prosperity up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

Re-doing a 1-3 hour scenario (for a 4 player game) isn't penalty enough? My group is playing 1 scenario a night. If we lose, it means the next time, it's the same scenario. It means we spent about 7 hours total on scenario 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:

Re-doing a 1-3 hour scenario (for a 4 player game) isn't penalty enough? My group is playing 1 scenario a night. If we lose, it means the next time, it's the same scenario. It means we spent about 7 hours total on scenario 1.

Ya. The time lost is a harsh enough penalty enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
devastadus bam
msg tools
If you play on the variant rules in the rule book where if you die. you die and start new character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
real life limitations shouldn't be a gameplay balancing factor anyway

So each scenario should be 14 hours long, minimum party size should be 32, the box should be the size of a boxcar, and the rules written in Inoxian so you have to translate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt_W wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:
real life limitations shouldn't be a gameplay balancing factor anyway

So each scenario should be 14 hours long, minimum party size should be 32, the box should be the size of a boxcar, and the rules written in Inoxian so you have to translate.

I'm totally in. Just need 31 more people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Wolf

Idaho
msg tools
That is exactly what we do. we are playing with the permeate death option and with a small house rule and a flee system. The house rule is when exhausted you move at int 99 and can move 1 space towards the entrance. you cannot pick up any coins or make any actions, you are just trying to get out. As long as you get out of the level you keep your gold and xp and can try to do it again with the other survivors of the mission. (Note the 1 move also helps you not become the target of the enemies as often once exhausted. The AI will still target an exhausted player if they are the closest figure to them.)
The best part of this flee system is that it adds a new level of tension at about 2/3s of the way though where we have to ask ourselves do we press on or fall back and try again. we are also using the phone app so on one really knows what is around the next corner or even how many more tiles we will have to lay out.
A last note is that we also play a mission until ALL are exhausted, meaning that if we manage to win the mission with a few cards in hand you can choose to keep playing for loot purposes. If you have the secondary mission to end with x cards in hand then you can reveal it a the scenario completion for credit before the after looting begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
If a character is exhausted, is character model is removed from game by RAW to avoid monsters beat an exhausted character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathanieldwolf wrote:
That is exactly what we do. we are playing with the permeate death option and with a small house rule and a flee system. The house rule is when exhausted you move at int 99 and can move 1 space towards the entrance. you cannot pick up any coins or make any actions, you are just trying to get out. As long as you get out of the level you keep your gold and xp and can try to do it again with the other survivors of the mission. (Note the 1 move also helps you not become the target of the enemies as often once exhausted. The AI will still target an exhausted player if they are the closest figure to them.)
The best part of this flee system is that it adds a new level of tension at about 2/3s of the way though where we have to ask ourselves do we press on or fall back and try again. we are also using the phone app so on one really knows what is around the next corner or even how many more tiles we will have to lay out.

Not bad. I like it.

Nathanieldwolf wrote:
A last note is that we also play a mission until ALL are exhausted, meaning that if we manage to win the mission with a few cards in hand you can choose to keep playing for loot purposes. If you have the secondary mission to end with x cards in hand then you can reveal it a the scenario completion for credit before the after looting begins.

Be aware that there are life goals that your house rule make meaningless.

small SPOILER for life goals:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The goals involve exhaustion.

medium SPOILER for life goals:
One life goal requires your character to get XX (number included in next spoiler) exhaustions and the other to "observe" a certain number of exhaustions by other members of the party.

large SPOILER for life goals:
The "get 12 exhaustions" goal has become nearly impossible to get because it belongs to my Moon class character and I can't win a damn scenario if he/she doesn't do the heavy lifting for the team. Sure, I could just play random dungeons and intentionally lose, but where's the fun in that?

Xtra large SPOILER for life goals:
You have no self-control. Stop looking at spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Personally, I prefer the loss of all xp gained...

Haven't you ever heard the saying "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Malistar22 wrote:
Ya. The time lost is a harsh enough penalty enough for me.

Especially when you're my age...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Mesclor wrote:
We also play that you return to Gloomhaven and so a new city and road event must take place. Rather than just restarting the scenario repeatedly over n over ad nauseum.

What a fantastic idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Bowmangr wrote:
This will also make raising the difficulty more risky and more intriguing because right now you can always raise the difficulty and farm scenarios until you can win them. (assuming ample free time to play of course but real life limitations shouldn't be a gameplay balancing factor anyway)

You can farm scenarios anyway by repeating them in casual mode, and get the scenario completion bonus as well. So there's never any upside to losing. With sufficient patience, even with your house rule, you could still grind out extra money and XP by repeating easy missions a bunch of times. The only upside to failure would be keeping a character about to retire off some kind of completion based trigger in the game while they get extra levels.

Moreover, I might argue that the point of raising the difficulty - besides the extra rewards - is pushing to a point where its harder to win. To have more close finishes to missions, inside of screwing around trying to pick up extra treasure instead of trying to keep the last enemy alive while you loot... So adding a punishment for losing basically encourages playing things safe and boring. :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Morthai wrote:
If a character is exhausted, is character model is removed from game by RAW to avoid monsters beat an exhausted character.

This is not true for the permadeath variant. Instead they get an initiative of 99, but often will have died next to a monster and still be the closest.

I'm considering permadeath for my second campaign and I think Nathaniel Wolf's suggestion is a good tweak to make it a little less harsh.

(OTOH I think "play until everyone is exhausted" is tremendously unbalancing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To answer the title question - no, it’s good for gameplay.

The effect of harsh penalties for losing would be extreme care, analysis paralysis, and ultimately I think s significant number of people walking away from the game or best case simply ignoring the rule because it’s tok harsh.

In addition, what you’re trying to fix (grinding) isn’t inherently bad. If people enjoy that then all power to them. In any event I doubt a loss penalty would prevent it - you’re far less likely to ever lose a scenario you’re grinding regularly. I wouldn’t want to grind myself, but a loss penalty would be extremely stressful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Wolf

Idaho
msg tools
piman wrote:
Morthai wrote:

This is not true for the permadeath variant. Instead they get an initiative of 99, but often will have died next to a monster and still be the closest.

I'm considering permadeath for my second campaign and I think Nathaniel Wolf's suggestion is a good tweak to make it a little less harsh.

(OTOH I think "play until everyone is exhausted" is tremendously unbalancing.)

I may well nix the after-scenario cleanup with any remaining moves, but at starting levels the 3 or 4 coins that the group manage to collect hardly seem to tremendously unbalance the party. perhaps when the coins are worth more or the players start ending the game with 7+ moves left (I don't see that happening) then we will readdress the issue. Currently all this is doing is helping to keep the players focused on the enemy and trying to play their best as they might then have a chance to collect loot after the threat is taken care of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.