14 Posts

Charterstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Minor Spoilers] Timing of 'When you place...' Effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Math Matt
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How does the timing of 'When you place...' effects interact with the 3 steps listed in the player turn card? Below I listed some specific questions we had based on these timing rules in spoiler tags. These came up in game 2 for us, but it may be different in your campaign.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We have unlocked golems which give a bonus resource when you place them. Can you place a golem, get the extra resource, then use it to pay the cost on the building you just placed it on?

If you place a robot and take an advancement card, can you trigger that advancement card on the same action? Does it depend on the kind of advancement? For example if use a Robot to sell a brick at a brick market and acquire a friend that gives me a bonus coin, do I get the bonus coin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you place a minion you get its benefit immediately. So for golems you can use the resource on the building it is sitting in. Very useful for a lot of buildings where only 1 resource is needed or you're one short.

For advancement cards, what they say on them will determine if you can gain their benefit on the same turn as acquiring them with a robot.
For friends, you will gain their benefit, as it is triggered by the benefit part of the building.

For maps though, you wouldn't, and would have to wait till theafter following action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Math Matt
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply and clarification. Can't wait to play more of this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope Jamey responds on this one, as there’s a rule that you can’t place on a building if you don’t have the required resources. We ruled this meant you couldn’t rely on resources from a minion to pay the cost of a building

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Israel is correct (I'll always reply on a thread if something hasn't been answered or was answered incorrectly).

There's a rule that says you can't use a building if you can't pay the cost, but because a minion gives you something as you place it, it can often enable you to pay the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Australia
Ellen Grove
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FritzBraun wrote:
I hope Jamey responds on this one, as there’s a rule that you can’t place on a building if you don’t have the required resources. We ruled this meant you couldn’t rely on resources from a minion to pay the cost of a building

This is also the way we went.

Thanks Jamey. It's ok, I don't remember it happening more than a couple of times. Will remember for 2nd campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, we’ll play that way in future games. When we read the rules we saw no wiggle room in Rule 15: “If you can’t pay the cost, you can’t place a worker here” Clearly if you can’t place a worker there you can’t get the placement bonus, so we went with that interpretation.

Might be worth adding to the FAQ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea! I'll do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Griffin
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
FritzBraun wrote:
Ok, we’ll play that way in future games. When we read the rules we saw no wiggle room in Rule 15: “If you can’t pay the cost, you can’t place a worker here” Clearly if you can’t place a worker there you can’t get the placement bonus, so we went with that interpretation.

Might be worth adding to the FAQ?

Yeah, I'd agree. That's certainly how we interpreted/played the game. If the intent is that the minion placement is resolved first I'd second adding that to the FAQs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added it to the FAQ. Honestly, it's one of those things that could easily go either way, so as long as you play consistently, it's fine. In my group, we played that you can use the thing gained by the meeple for the building cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
So I assume this means we were playing minions a bit wrong. I didn't have the rulebook in hand and was going with what the group said, but our "leader" claimed that when placing minions you only get their individual immediate benefit and do not get to use the action on the building where they are placed.

So using minions doesn't just get you an immediate benefit depending on the type of minion as well as possible future benefits if someone places their worker on the same space? You can also perform the action of the building where they have been placed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troy: Unfortunately your leader has led you astray. Minions are workers, so you use them to take perform the action of the building. They also give you a bonus when you place them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks Jamie. I thought the minions were a bit underwhelming, that makes a lot more sense. Investing in acquiring them is actually worthwhile that way. shake Sorry for a dumb question, there are sooo many threads for this game. Which is a good thing imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem! The FAQ is a good resource to check. You might want to read through it to double check on your leader.

https://stonemaiergames.com/games/charterstone/faq/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.