Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_support_again [+] [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it is this time of the year again when BGG has it's End-of-Year Geek Support Drive.

I have decided to support financially BGG yet again, as I have for many years in the past.

In part, it has been our support, financial and otherwise, that has allowed this site to become what it is today. Naturally, I am also aware that BGG has other sources of revenue.

I would be curious to know what is the level of financial support that Gamers put into BGG.

I figure that there are hundreds of people that are currently active on the BGG Forum.

BoardGameGeek Gamer, what is the amount that you are willing to donate ?

Poll
How much are you willing to donate this year ?
Zero Dollars
1-25 Dollars
26-50 Dollars
51-75 Dollars
76-100 Dollars
More then 100 Dollars
      323 answers
Poll created by Mallet

Please feel free to comment on the reasons and motivations of your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I will give an answer to my own question.

I made a donation to BGG again this year.

The amount was $100.

Why that amount, precisely ?

Because I figure that my current use and enjoyment of all my activities on BGG in general is worth as least as much as the purchase of a high-quality Wargame.

I see this through the lens of the precise wording of the thread: this year, BGG is worth $100 for me.

Whether they receive tons of money through numerous different other sources is totally irrelevant to the overall question, from my point of view.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I donate because I am able to & I like this website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I donated twenty-five dollars. I donate to a number of online sites I like and that's my default amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You say "donate" but that is not a word that BGG ever uses. BGG is not a charity or a non-profit, and they clearly use "support" and don't say that it is a donation, as it is unambiguously not.

(Note: I am not casting any judgements or taking any sides with about if or how much one should support or not. I just want you to know that the use of "donation" or "donate" is incorrect.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Zero. I visit the site while it is there, but I played games before BGG and will play after BGG. The useful content has not changed much over the years while the amount of content has gone up a factor of ten or more. I would stop if it were pay per view, or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
I chipped in $15 because I care about the GG for some reason, and happened to have it on hand when the year-end drive started. I don't always, but it worked out this year. The site's a major source of entertainment and utility for me, so I like to show them that when I'm able.

I also intentionally leave the ads on, since that's their primary revenue and they do a good job of only taking board game related ads, so they're occasionally useful or informative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually donate at the $15 level, but they also get money from me on game sales and I tend to buy a lot of promos in the Geek Store.

I am not sure the actual total, but I imagine they get around $100 from me each year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I contributed $15 because I regularly visit the forums to interact with the community and seek opinions and advice on various gaming-related topics. And I appreciate how well the site is designed and moderated and enables users to upload fan-made content (custom player aids, storage tuckbox templates, custom gaming scenarios, etc.).

I also "support" in the form of purchases from the BGG store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
What it's worth and how much I put in are completely different things. Easily this website is worth well over $100.00 just for the information alone that it provides (Ignore the amount of time I spend on it and the entertainment it provides). What I actually put in was $20.00 because I'm cheap and I want more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:
You say "donate" but that is not a word that BGG ever uses. BGG is not a charity or a non-profit, and they clearly use "support" and don't say that it is a donation, as it is unambiguously not.

(Note: I am not casting any judgements or taking any sides with about if or how much one should support or not. I just want you to know that the use of "donation" or "donate" is incorrect.)

Actually, the meaning of the word "donation" is a little bit broader then what you imply:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/donation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
Zero. I visit the site while it is there, but I played games before BGG and will play after BGG. The useful content has not changed much over the years while the amount of content has gone up a factor of ten or more. I would stop if it were pay per view, or something.

LOL ... Its the voluntary supoort that keeps involuntary support at bay. As has been noted, this isn't a charity. Youre welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:

I would also disagree. Of course different countries have differing standards, but it is fairly common that places have "Donations" for things that are for profit.

I know of a local festival that has a $50 Donation to go to the festival. You don't have to pay the donation, but you can't come in if you don't "donate". Beer is "free" inside the venue and it has something to do with liquor laws as far as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
mi_de wrote:

LOL ... Its the voluntary supoort that keeps involuntary support at bay. As has been noted, this isn't a charity. Youre welcome.

This is true in a technical sense, but few sites like this charge a fee for access and they have other revenue streams. Unless mi_de is running an adblocker, they're paying by consenting to be exposed to ads. This is the usual deal for similar sites and for as much as I like BGG, they'd quickly find themselves uncompetitive if they tried to charge a fee for access.

Or in other words, the more credible threat is not involuntary support but rather more numerous and obtrusive ads and possibly diminished support staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much is it worth to me? Probably thousands of dollars.

Pete (didn't give anything near that much)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I've donated $30 every year since they started asking for moola. That is barely $2.50 a month, in which I totally get my worth out of and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
aesthetocyst wrote:
mi_de wrote:

This is true in a technical sense, but few sites like this charge a fee for access and they have other revenue streams. Unless mi_de is running an adblocker, they're paying by consenting to be exposed to ads. This is the usual deal for similar sites and for as much as I like BGG, they'd quickly find themselves uncompetitive if they tried to charge a fee for access.

Or in other words, the more credible threat is not involuntary support but rather more numerous and obtrusive ads and possibly diminished support staff.

Ads ARE forms of involuntary support. Presumably the voluntary support keeps them fairly benign, inobtrusive.

The idea that any user here is paying for themselves via ad exposures is very questionable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Kessinger
United States
Smiths Grove
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always donate $15 or more each year. Gaming is a big part of my leisure time and the enjoyment I get from BGG and it's users is easily worth more than I give.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been giving $10 a month since 2013. I figure that the expenses to run the site are likely to happen monthly, my support should to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
aesthetocyst wrote:
mi_de wrote:

Ads ARE forms of involuntary support. Presumably the voluntary support keeps them fairly benign, inobtrusive.

The idea that any user here is paying for themselves via ad exposures is very questionable.

Fair enough I suppose, regarding ads falling under "involuntary support," though I'll say I assumed it was not included because ads exist now and I read your message as implying new types of funding rather than extension of existing ones. Either way, we agree there.

Regarding users paying for themselves via ad exposures, we can't tell without seeing the numbers, but TBH ad support is the primary way many sites like this get funded. I'll grant that BGG is relatively picky about the ads they accept and they don't use full-video, sound, or mouseover shenanigans, so their ad revenue is likely lower than other similar sites. But acting like ads couldn't possibly enough to maintain a database and some boards is just silly (cf. gamefaqs.com)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Syvanis wrote:
fifteenkeys wrote:

I would also disagree. Of course different countries have differing standards, but it is fairly common that places have "Donations" for things that are for profit.

I know of a local festival that has a $50 Donation to go to the festival. You don't have to pay the donation, but you can't come in if you don't "donate". Beer is "free" inside the venue and it has something to do with liquor laws as far as I know.

Now that one is definitely not a donation and is even further from being one than BGG. They can call it whatever they want on their fliers, but that's an entry fee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
aesthetocyst wrote:
mi_de wrote:

I suspect the per user cost of this site is low enough that there are more than a few users who pay for themselves and then some in Amazon link commissions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Bilko
United States
Roseville
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, a poll asking money questions... This will go well.

Next poll will be on who you voted for and what religious affiliation you belong to.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
None. They get ad revenue, amazon links and a BGG store. They make their money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
None. They get ad revenue, amazon links and a BGG store. They make their money.

And several conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.