Subject: Aw, man ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a late backer, so I can't post on the KS, so posting here. The latest comment by a backer says that Panda won't make good quality miniatures - I know nothing of these things, which manufacture does what well or not, but that would be disappointing if these cool designs didn't show up with some quality to them. Could the poster be wrong about this? Anyone see the miniatures in hand yet?

To be clear, I'm not asking for perfection and not a "complainer". Just that this game screams A+ quality in all aspects: the art, the game, the quality of materials. The miniatures need that super awesome Middara treatment! That said, they coulda designed the cards to standard so it'll be easy to get sleeves, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are still waiting for the pre-production copy to arrive from China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I've asked this before, but does anyone know which games Panda has done miniatures for in the past?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dying Tickles
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth is probably the most mini heavy game that I know of that Panda did (http://pandagm.com/projects/). They also did Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lil Ruub
United States
Western Delaware Co.
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry,
I think your question about miniatures is complicated. When I look at the pre-production samples (links below) they look pretty good to me. More to the point, the details are sufficient for my painting abilities. Now it might have been possible to get more details if they used another company but I don't know that I could have taken advantage of that detail.

When the one poster compared the minis to those from Archon & CMON you need to realize those companies minis are significantly more expensive and some are resin which are on a whole different level (and tend to be too brittle for casual use). Now for some people, they would be willing to pay the significantly higher cost for the minis or even for resin sculpts. From my stand point I think what I've seen looks pretty good.

So it's really up to you where you will be satisfied with the level of detail shown in these posts or if you truly need near resin quality.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/succubuspublishing/midd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:
Myth is probably the most mini heavy game that I know of that Panda did (http://pandagm.com/projects/). They also did Scythe.

Hmm. While Myth was a horrific train wreck of a game, that minis for it were fine. Not amazing, but quite nice. The heroes for Scythe are also quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry.

Are these minis going to be drop dead masterpieces, pushing the quality of production and setting the standard by which all other games are measured? Probably not. Are they going to be ugly little disproportionate blobs of plastic? Based on some of their other project (e.g. Mice & Mystics, Specter Ops, Myth, The Doom That Came to Atlantic City, Cthulhu Wars etc.) I'd say they'll be adequate to really good.

The real kicker seems to be how much the developer is willing to push/pay Panda to produce. They -can- put out really good stuff, just don't expect the next Kingdom Death Monster or the best Cool Mini Or Not stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I feel like I've asked this before, but does anyone know which games Panda has done miniatures for in the past?

You can Google for Panda and find some of the games they've done in the past (wow!), but there's no comprehensive list (their site doesn't mention Cthulhu Wars for example). Or at least there's no list I know of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LilRuub wrote:
Barry,
I think your question about miniatures is complicated. When I look at the pre-production samples (links below) they look pretty good to me. More to the point, the details are sufficient for my painting abilities. Now it might have been possible to get more details if they used another company but I don't know that I could have taken advantage of that detail.

When the one poster compared the minis to those from Archon & CMON you need to realize those companies minis are significantly more expensive and some are resin which are on a whole different level (and tend to be too brittle for casual use). Now for some people, they would be willing to pay the significantly higher cost for the minis or even for resin sculpts. From my stand point I think what I've seen looks pretty good.

So it's really up to you where you will be satisfied with the level of detail shown in these posts or if you truly need near resin quality.

Thanks for posting these links - and thanks to the rest of you for your responses. Yeah, I guess I am asking a complicated question, what do I mean by "quality". I guess I mean something significantly better than what we go with Folklore Affliction game ( those are not good ). Something where parts of the plastic is so light it looks like it'll tear off easily. Not asking for KD quality or resin even - to me, these links show them to be pretty good. I guess quality is 2 dimensional: detail and material. Details look good to me. Materials don't look flimsy, so I think we're good. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dying Tickles
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

You can Google for Panda and find some of the games they've done in the past (wow!), but there's no comprehensive list (their site doesn't mention Cthulhu Wars for example). Or at least there's no list I know of.

Their site does mention Cthulhu Wars. The link I proved above just goes to their Featured list. You can go year by year to get a more comprehensive list and Cthulhu Wars is in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.