Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Alexander
United States
Saline
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep question here.

During the 2nd vote in the agenda phase, I played the action card "Construction Rider" which states:
After an agenda is revealed: You cannot vote on this agenda. Predict aloud an outcome of this agenda. If your prediction is correct, place one space dock from your reinforcements on a planet you control.

I predicted correctly.

I have a Law attached to me from earlier in the game called "Minister of Industry". It says When the owner of this card places a space dock in a system, his units in that system may use their PRODUCTION abilities.

So, to recap, we are in the Agenda phase, I predicted an outcome correctly, I should be able to place a space dock because of the Action card, and then because of the law, I should be able to produce from that space dock.

The question is, what am I allowed to use to build with? How do I pay, and if I exhaust planets to pay for the production, do they replenish?

At the end of the status phase is "Ready Cards" in which you reset all of your planets. I had not voted at all, so I had all planets at the ready. At the end of the agenda phase is "Ready Planets".

So again, because I had the law attached to me, and because I am allowed to place a space dock and build from it, can I build and exhaust my planets and then use them again after the Agenda Phase is over because I am readying them again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, this is an interesting question. As written, I'd say "yes, you are allowed to do it", but you'd have to use only planets you've not yet exhausted during voting (which in your example is all your planets). If there was still another vote, though, you would only be able to use whatever planets you had left after producing. Then at the end, all your planets would refresh again.

Sounds like a pretty clever combination!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur, it seems perfectly acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Alexander
United States
Saline
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fear was it was broken if it happened that way, meaning there was an unintended consequence.
My argument is it was not broken because the other players could have very easily thrown just one vote the opposite way that I predicted and would have avoided this happening.

I predicted that the players would vote "for" getting a victory point. They did vote "for" and the two people received a victory point. One other person voted against because he thought the other two would screw him. Such a cut throat game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It was probably not necessarily an intended combo, but it certainly doesn't break the game. And, like you say, the other players could have prevented it from happening if they wanted to. But they wanted the point. In this case, you kind of sacrificed a point to get that "free" build, because you obviously couldn't vote FOR the law either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c e
msg tools
Rules-as-written it seems perfectly acceptable. Certainly strong, but it requires the stars aligning just right to make it happen, so I say it's legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent find Mr. Cobra Transformer. Most excellent indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely agree with Scott. That's one of the many things I love about this game -- unexpected synergies and combos that let you sneak in an action or VP at a point where no one is expecting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens seldom enough that it isn't a problem in the big picture. However, this could mean an insanely effective increase in ships and/or ground forces for a player if it happened. This could ruin a game if the timing is close to the end of the game, and as we are talking about a boardgame most groups play only a couple times per year, it can be significant.

While it is not in the rules, I'd suggest the following: At the end of the agenda phase, ready only those exhausted planets that were used to cast votes, or that you gained through an ability of some sort during the agenda phase (because it would be exhausted in this case). This way the player still gets a suprise production without activating a system, so it's a plus, but it doesn't include a potential 10-15 resources gained for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Pudd
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree that it surely doesn't happen very often, so much so that I would not want to start making up houserules for such an unlikely to be common event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.