Subject: A Hidden Objective scoring variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my "solution" the all the various problems with Agenda cards. I made a simple photo copy of all the possible objective cards and, before the game begins, each player secretly selects four cards with the restriction that only two can be Faction-specific cards and a single Faction card can be chosen twice.

The game is played as normal but each Agenda card that the player received through play only activates one of the objectives on the player's score card. (player choice). The game is played until a Faction rules the wastelands with the following victory conditions:

-If a player has more than the required number of Influence points or has the most Influence points of all the players, that is a Minor Victory.

-If a player has the required number of Influence points AND has the highest total, that is a Major Victory.

One special rules is that once per game, a player may reveal and score his objectives based on the current state of the game. The score is recorded and cannot change up or down. It is, in effect, setting the top score that the other players must strive to beat before the game ends. The cheeky player who did this can now devote his time to messing up the plans of the other players or just hanging out, confident in his victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
I like this variant! I'd love to hear how others find this as they play, if folks opt for doing this. Did it work well? What might you change or tweak?

*subscribed*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this! Certainly better than the in box rules around them. If you are going to play with Agenda cards I feel this is the way to do it.

Question, do you remove the proper cards from the agenda pile? Otherwise it does technically change up enemy activation and how long it takes (slightly) for the factions to increase in influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Reeves
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rejected:
You base assumption is the game will always be played with more than one player. This method will not work in a single player game. You need to modify the scoring system to allow for one person to use the same rules as multi-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, damn. I was going to try out this variant, but Keith has proclaimed it as rejected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temujinjr wrote:
You base assumption is the game will always be played with more than one player. This method will not work in a single player game. You need to modify the scoring system to allow for one person to use the same rules as multi-player.

It's my experience that this game doesn't play well as a single player game and I will only play it with 3 or 4 players. So, you are correct. There are several single player scoring variants already available here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKingOfAverage wrote:
Question, do you remove the proper cards from the agenda pile? Otherwise it does technically change up enemy activation and how long it takes (slightly) for the factions to increase in influence.

Yes, when you earn an Agenda card, place it face down in front of you. Just to keep track of the number of cards you are allowed to score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.