Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
César Ferreira
Brazil
Ouro Branco
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment the Brazilian version of Lisboa is being distributed. And there has been a little polemics about the player boards . In the Brazilian edition these boards only have 2 layers (they do not have the last layer of cardboard that raises the board for the cards to be tucked). The publisher said it was a decision made because the boards were bending a lot and would be better done that way. My curiosity is: are the player boards really bending a lot? Would it be reversible?

This will help me decide if I buy the American or Brazilian version. I'll be grateful if you can help with the status reports of your games. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
-Gaia-Project-Fanatic-
mbmbmbmbmb
The player boards in my American copy of the game definitely do bend a little bit due to humidity changes. When I would start playing the game they would be perfectly flat, but around an hour or so into the game they would warp such that the sides of the board would stick up in the air.

I think the warping is pretty minor (Unlike the severe warping I've had with my recent Gaia Project purchase). A simple reverse bend of the board seems to fix the problem.

Honestly though, I don't think that third layer adds too much IMO. I would just get whatever version is cheaper for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
Had no problems at all with the boards warping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same experience as Shaun. Boards noticeably bending. It's a little disappointing in an otherwise beautiful game with fantastic production values. But I'm hoping it chills out as the game ages a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
msg tools
badge
It's so FLUFFY!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Same as Shaun and Jeff, minor warping due to Humidity in my area. At the start of the game the are flat and then they slowly raise up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Y.
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine also warp: left and right edges bend up after playing for a bit. As Shaun noted back-bending the boards helps temporarily.

Kind of frustrating given that the point of that last layer was to have cards slide under nicely (and stop at the right spot) and now they don't.

You may be better off engineering your own solution with two-layer boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto. Mine warp as well. Still plays fine though.

I keep the packets of silica in the game too and keep the box flat.

Wish I could keep the player boards flat as the card-bumpers don't catch in the left most spot that well.

Small inconvenience though for a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Warps as well, for OCD person like me, it's a problem.
But game play wise, not really matters.
I see it can be quite difficult to insert cards without third layer, but I can see a very simple solution for this, just add third layer by yourself. This time you can choose to use what material is best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd strongly recommend getting the boards that have the slots for tucking cards.

Yes they warp when first opened but once fixed they stay fixed. Gentle back bending at the start of the first 2-3 plays until they lay flat and after that they've never warped since.

It is a very minor inconvenience for a functional benefit that is very easily rectified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
czartmf wrote:
At the moment the Brazilian version of Lisboa is being distributed. And there has been a little polemics about the player boards . In the Brazilian edition these boards only have 2 layers (they do not have the last layer of cardboard that raises the board for the cards to be tucked). The publisher said it was a decision made because the boards were bending a lot and would be better done that way. My curiosity is: are the player boards really bending a lot? Would it be reversible?

This will help me decide if I buy the American or Brazilian version. I'll be grateful if you can help with the status reports of your games. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but you have been ripped off by a publisher that already had enough problems when it was called FunBox Jogos, for over delaying production of Bullfrogs and for selling a non available For Sale for customers, without counting their delays for Terra Mystica. Despite changing the company name to Mandala Jogos, it is still evident that they are not reliable , and you should look for the justice system for reparation once they promised an version identical KS version as showed in the picture below.
And for a next time, when you want that a new game to be published in Brazil, better pray that Mandala Jogos (or whatever name they have in the future) is not one bringing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
I'd strongly recommend getting the boards that have the slots for tucking cards.

Yes they warp when first opened but once fixed they stay fixed. Gentle back bending at the start of the first 2-3 plays until they lay flat and after that they've never warped since.

It is a very minor inconvenience for a functional benefit that is very easily rectified.

I thought about trying the gentle-bend-back, but was worried the glue that held the layers together might crack...splitting the layers from one another. Maybe I'll go super easy on it and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Double Dan wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

I thought about trying the gentle-bend-back, but was worried the glue that held the layers together might crack...splitting the layers from one another. Maybe I'll go super easy on it and see.

Others have also gently bent theirs back with success and I haven't heard a single report of that going badly yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Consonni
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just how thick is this third layer? I also have the Brazilian rip-off version, and would like to try to make my player boards the right way.
Could anyone be kind enough to post a picture of the back of the board, so we can try to correct the half-assed job Mandala did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.