Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Griffin
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
We've been playing that resolving
Spoiler (click to reveal)
item cards
are not part of your turn, this feels fairly over-powered but it's how I read the rules. Just wanted to double check that this is correct.

In case it's not obvious, I meant "Advancement" Card in my title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you fulfill an item card, it's part of your turn, but it's not an action. So you can do it any time on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Griffin
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
That's how we've been playing. Thanks for the clarification and thanks for the fun game, it's been a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Sanders
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you allowed to fulfill multiple item cards on your turn or just one? We've found that players are just hoarding items that they've completed to keep them out of the advancement deck and also clog up the resource market. It would change the dynamic a lot of players could only complete one per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically you can fulfill any number on your turn, though given the hoarding nature in your group, I would understand a house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul VanPraag
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
Technically you can fulfill any number on your turn, though given the hoarding nature in your group, I would understand a house rule.

For what it's worth I dislike that rule on items. My group tried to rule that items auto-completed when you have the given resources but that obviously has downsides of reducing planning and in my case would have made it impossible for me to build one of my buildings that shared a resource cost with an item I had before the game ended.

I convinced them to interpret items as optional timing of when to use them - as you seem to recommend. But now I'm holding all my items because there is no reason to ever complete them until the last turn of the game. Why jump ahead on the VP track and look more threatening or give up options of ways to redistribute resources differently if emergencies come up? I just put the resources needed for an item on it and set it aside until my last turn and that way I can rearrange and use my larger resource pool as needed.

This seems really annoying but auto-completing items is awful too and house-ruling a once-per-turn rule seems kind of hacky and still doesn't really fix the problem but rather just diminish it to hoarding one item at a time.

I guess I kind of wish there were some kind of opportunity cost for not completing an item when you can. Maybe like only one "consumable" card can be used per turn? Like one Item or Treasure or other one-shot type effect total per turn? The possibility of missing out on the best timing for using an Amulet later would definitely stop my item hoarding behavior in most instances.

This isn't the biggest deal but it is slightly annoying and feels like it could be improved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.