Subject: One of the best inserts I've seen in a board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy the other day. I didn't know much about the contents within aside from just a picture of a set up game. Once I opened it, I was delightfully surprised by what was inside.

The insert is one of the best I've ever seen; certainly more impressive than the Mysterium one, I think. There's the typical slots for certain components, yes, but not only does the game come with actual containers for the tokens, but it also includes dividers. There is a different colored/designed divider for each different type of card: four different colored miscellaneous ones, one each for sweet, serious and drama cards, one for special events, two for characters and destinies (one blue and one pink), as well as individual ones for each Love Story, including the expansions, all designed and labeled and everything. There are also three different slots in the insert for the 3 different smaller feature, occupation and trait cards, as opposed to just putting them all into one slot like most game inserts probably do. The insert itself is also is of great material; nice hard and sturdy plastic

I haven't played the game yet, but regardless of what I think of it, what you get is really impressive. Then again, I don't have shelves and shelves of games, just the top shelf of my closet, so there probably are game inserts even more impressive than this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the game yet, but several reviews have praised the insert as well, so even if you don’t have “shelves and shelves” of games to compare it to, know that you are getting a pretty slickly designed product!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Does the insert support sleeved cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Jaskov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Designer here: Yes! We've designed it, so it can contain all current cards and the 3 planned expansions (which the KS backers already get) while sleeved.

We have tested this with the thickest sleeves available for the large cards. Here there is no extra space for anything more. With thinner sleeves it's no problem at all. Small cards also fit (with no extra space here as well).

Also: Thank you for the wonderful words
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My KS copy just arrived, Jacob, and it does look lovely. As someone who sleeves about a quarter of his games, thickness isn't usually the issue I run into. It's sleeve length. I prefer a longer sleeve, like Fantasy Flight Games, and few inserts take that into account. I don't have time to fully explore my copy of FoL, but I put one of the smaller cards in a FFG Mini American Yellow, and it's tight due to the taper at the bottom of the card well. I'll need to sleeve more of those smaller cards to see if it will be a problem. Out of curiosity, was FFG one of the brands you tested in the insert?

You may recall that I was concerned when you switched to a drawer-style box. I had recently purchased Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, which also uses a drawer, and that box was very flimsy. You couldn't lay it flat with anything at all on top of it without the cover bowing in. You said FoL shouldn't have that problem, and it appears you were correct. It is both thicker and the drawer actually sits slightly recessed so that it still supports the open end of the front cover. Seems quite solid. Kudos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigone Mendenhall
United States
Defiance
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question. I just got my game today. Yay! I opened the box with the intention of sorting the decks, and getting everything organized. I immediately noticed that when the cards are turned on their side, they are too talk for the box. I imagine I should just mean them over a considerable amount, but I am afraid they will too over and get mixed up. How is everyone else sorting/ storing the cards and dividers?
That being said, the components and box look amazing! I can't wait to get it to the table.
*edit* At this point I am pretty sure I am missing a deck of cards as well. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nagara_Venteel wrote:
I have a question. I just got my game today. Yay! I opened the box with the intention of sorting the decks, and getting everything organized. I immediately noticed that when the cards are turned on their side, they are too talk for the box. I imagine I should just mean them over a considerable amount, but I am afraid they will too over and get mixed up. How is everyone else sorting/ storing the cards and dividers?
That being said, the components and box look amazing! I can't wait to get it to the table.

Hello Antigone. You'll notice that there are two compartments for the cards, one bigger than the other. There's one end on these compartments that is slanted and I believe the intention is to lean the cards and dividers against this slant.

This is what I did. I put the large base game in the bigger compartment and the large cards for the three expansions in the smaller compartment.

I'm sorry to hear that you seem to be missing a deck. Which one do you think you're missing, if you don't mind me asking?

If it turns out that you are missing cards, I'm sure it won't be an issue to get it corrected. Hush Hush Projects seems to be a great company!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigone Mendenhall
United States
Defiance
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:
Nagara_Venteel wrote:

Hello Antigone. You'll notice that there are two compartments for the cards, one bigger than the other. There's one end on these compartments that is slanted and I believe the intention is to lean the cards and dividers against this slant.

This is what I did. I put the large base game in the bigger compartment and the large cards for the three expansions in the smaller compartment.

I'm sorry to hear that you seem to be missing a deck. Which one do you think you're missing, if you don't mind me asking?

If it turns out that you are missing cards, I'm sure it won't be an issue to get it corrected. Hush Hush Projects seems to be a great company!

I figured I was supposed to lean the cards. That is what I did. I am just worried that because they fit so loosely that they fall over and end up mixed up. If I put it on the shelf so that cards are up and down longways in the box, I think it will be ok.
I thought I was missing Sunday Morning. Indie already email them, and they said that set is mixed into other decks, and after playing the tutorial I should find them. This confused me, because I thought that was the first scenario. I will investigate my box later this morning, before further freaking out. I was probably just confused.

*edit* They are indeed hidden in another deck. All is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
Antigone, that's great that you're not missing any cards! Awesome!

Also, I just wanted to add that what I did to create somewhat of a buffer between the cards and the board was putting the Rulebook in first, followed by the letter to the backers (if you still have that, if not no biggie!) and then put the board on top of everything.

I've found doing it this way helps ensure nothing gets mixed up when standing it on its side. I've found it also helps when putting the game back in its slipcase. With the rulebook on top, it sometimes would get caught in the lip of the box.

I hope this helps put your mind at ease Antigone! Enjoy your new game and the experience it brings! I've loved it so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nagara_Venteel wrote:

I figured I was supposed to lean the cards. That is what I did. I am just worried that because they fit so loosely that they fall over and end up mixed up. If I put it on the shelf so that cards are up and down longways in the box, I think it will be ok.

I have the same concern. It seems to be working ok, but I would have preferred not having to lean them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally had the chance to sit down and sleeve at least the 38 trait cards. Using FFG Mini American yellows, the cards are indeed a tight fit in the well. But only at the bottom, where it narrows. The width across the top is just fine. I have to push them down with a little force to keep their top edge level with the insert. Since it's just the sleeve being bent a bit, I don't think it will damage the cards, but its something I plan to keep an eye on.

I didn't even notice the poker chips until tonight. WOW. They are beautiful. The heft is fantastic. They could have cheaped out with basic plastic chips, but these have a nice, heavy core. Handling them is a real pleasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the features in FFG sleeves. They seem to fit okay diagonally, though you can also place them in straight if you don’t mind the tops of the sleeves bending.
Also have the big cards sleeved. The dividers seem to work nicely. I had the box placed on its side to test it out, opened it again, and everything was still in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.