Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Fantasy themed wargames (solo)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
Hello everyone,

I have recently discovered the treasure trove that is war games (mostly due to wanting solo games) and I am curious if anyone knows of any fantasy themed war games? The only thing I have found so far is Legions of Darkness by Victory Point Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore (Second Edition), War of the Ring (Second Edition). Neither of them can be played solo, though.
As a quick heads up, you can always select the category Wargame and then the subcategory Fantasy from the drop down menu, you will find plenty of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW the old SPI fantasy hex and counter wargame Sorcerer has a true solitaire scenario (or two?).

More recent is Wizard Kings, a fantasy block wargame (so for many people, not so good for soloing both sides).

There aren't very many modern classic/traditional-style (e.g. hex and counter) fantasy wargames, alas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Divine Right is a classic fantasy-themed wargame that can be played solo with a few basic house rules--demonstrated in this video:
https://youtu.be/NXbhVNVta7U
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon Hill's Dragon Pass set in Glorantha is a robust hex and counter fantasy wargame.

As for solo - it is possible, but there are challenges. Allocation of diplomacy towards neutrals is supposed to be secret, which needs a workaround.

Stacks cannot be inspected, which is important as some of the magic powers are basically mini-nukes and you usually want to hide important units during the exchange of strikes.

Neither issue is insurmountable, but it's better opposed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wrote:
There aren't very many modern classic/traditional-style (e.g. hex and counter) fantasy wargames, alas.

Too true.

Here's one that solo's well even if not solo designed.

Dragon Rage

The new version that was released a few years back even has mounted boards and nice think rounded counters like GMT deluxe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW a modern very simple (barely a wargame) hex-grid card-based-actions tactical little 2-player game which is good casual fun is Drako (3 dwarves vs 1 dragon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Warfighter has a fantasy version coming. Solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley Of The Four Winds

It's old school and a fairly straight forward hex-and-counter affair but it's quite entertaining and reasonably easy to solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
]There aren't very many modern classic/traditional-style (e.g. hex and counter) fantasy wargames, alas.

Too true.

Here's one that solo's well even if not solo designed.

Dragon Rage

[ImageID=903879 wrote:

The new version that was released a few years back even has mounted boards and nice think rounded counters like GMT deluxe.

I got a copy, and they are very high quality pieces and a lovely board. Overall, I wish I had gotten the free version out there before the rights got bought up. Would have loved to had scans of the old version in addition, but they got pulled.

Not really a wargame, but you can still get Barbarian Prince there and their other titles there. Huh, the maker of the new Dragon Rage also has other interesting games on his web page that might be worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora

A John Butterfield game (Ambush, DDay series, RAF, Enemy Ardennes, co author CoH solo expansion).

He is the Jedi Knight of solo gaming.

Very costly for an old Magazine game, but hey you wanted quality.

Is it a wargame? Well as long as they call Coins wargames ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for Dragon Rage

I also have the Flatline Games edition and can attest to the quality of the production. Fun game with humans defending a walled town and port against attacking fantasy creatures, not just dragons: giants, rocs, sea serpents. orcs, goblins...

The game also has a scenario and campaign with the humans attacking an Orc/Goblin settlement. Really need to play this one again.

I'd also take a look at the 2nd edition of Stronghold (2nd edition) if you like the idea of a fantasy siege game that uses eurogame like mechanics, but is also very thematic.

I've always wondered about Demonlord and Dark Emperor, two player fantasy wargames with mass armies, but have never played them, despite owning both in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm currently designing a fantasy H and C game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
O-H!
mbmbmbmbmb
Albion: Land of Faerie, from SPI's old Ares magazine, and Fornaldar: Nordic Saga are hex and counter wargames in a fantasy setting.

Unfortunately both are out of print but Fornaldar: Nordic Saga is being redone by someone (can't remember who right now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sautman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyrang wrote:
BattleLore (Second Edition), War of the Ring (Second Edition). Neither of them can be played solo, though.
As a quick heads up, you can always select the category Wargame and then the subcategory Fantasy from the drop down menu, you will find plenty of them.

I play Battlelore solo quite a bit with a simple house rule. I choose one side and play it normally, choosing the best card to play. Then I choose two random cards from the deck and play the other side competitively. Similarly, I choose a card for the other side and build up lore until there is enough to cast a spell. Playing twice as many cards for the other side makes up for not playing the ideal section always. The games end up being competitive.

Battles of Westeros is a variant of BattleLore and even better in my opinion. It is a bit less solo friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Lfseeney
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mage Knight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
owenedwards wrote:
Well I'm currently designing a fantasy H and C game...

Happy to playtest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lfseeney wrote:
Mage Knight

Not a war game.

War games are PvP games.

MK is combat against NPC (monsters) mostly. The PvP combat was added as an after thought (IMHO), and it is actually a joke to be taken seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
East Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
EL PSY CONGROO
badge
まだまだこれから
mbmbmbmbmb
Its been awhile and I am fuzzy on how war-gamey it actually is, but I used to play Demons solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the upcoming Root might fit, as it is essentially a heavily asymmetric card driven conflict game by Leder Games, designed by Cole Wehrle. I a cautiously excited about it, allthough this one really is a still ongoing design. It is fantasy as in "antropomorphic cutesy animals fight to the death" way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is solo play rules for Flintloque.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
Lfseeney wrote:
Mage Knight

Not a war game.

War games are PvP games.

MK is combat against NPC (monsters) mostly. The PvP combat was added as an after thought (IMHO), and it is actually a joke to be taken seriously.

So the whole lines of states of siege and leader games and many others are not wargames?shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pichardo
United States
South Glens Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The old TSR Dragonlance module DL11, Dragons of Glory, is a straightforward hex and counter wargame for the War of the Lance.
I'm not sure how available it is, but it was fun for what it was. No hidden info, just play both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhepp wrote:
Albion: Land of Faerie, from SPI's old Ares magazine, and Fornaldar: Nordic Saga are hex and counter wargames in a fantasy setting.

Unfortunately both are out of print but Fornaldar: Nordic Saga is being redone by someone (can't remember who right now).

One small step is the publisher:

URL: http://ossgamescart.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPa...

I would also add Runewars to the list of wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Howard
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The old TSR Dragonlance module DL11, Dragons of Glory, is a straightforward hex and counter wargame for the War of the Lance.
I'm not sure how available it is, but it was fun for what it was. No hidden info, just play both sides.

This was the first one that came to my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.