United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey ya'll!
Dominion is one of my favorite (and first) games, and I never grow tired of it!
...still, some expansions added in could make Dominion last for years to come. While I have not gotten the expansions JUST yet, I have a few in mind. Guilds, Seaside, Prosperity and Hinterlands are the ones I thought to get.
Now to the main issue: how do I store and carry all of that efficiently (preferably a single box)? I do most of my gaming at things such as game stores and church functions (e.g., not at my house) and while the bag I use to carry the games is big, bringing all of these expansions in their separate boxes would take up more than half of the bag if not all of it.
I've heard of the wooden artist case from Hobby Lobby + Broken Token combo and while that might not be a bad option I wonder if there's other ways to keep all these expansions + the base game in one easy-to-carry box. I hope I'm not asking for the impossible here and if anyone can help me with this it would most likely be ya'll that would know the answer. Any help is appreciated! Thanks gamers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the world of Dominion Storage Options!

You can spend as little or as much as you like on this. As for me, I use cheap card collecting boxes. They wear out, sure, but then I go buy new ones for $8.

Something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Shoe-Row-Storage-Box-1600/dp/B01J4D...
Note this one is $21 for 4 boxes. My FLG/Comic Shop has them in singles, assembled, for $5 or $6 each.

I have yet to find something that will hold everything and is sturdy enough for travel AND doesn't cost more than the expansions I'd want to put in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have base game + 4 expansions in just the base game box without insert. There are lots of options, mine is dirty, cheap and easy (rubber bands each type of card and just sort it by letter with a paper separator between letters) but you can opt for better separators or separator between each type of card, etc. but in anycase 4 expansions fit well in base box (problems starts around the 6th expansion)

Edit: photo added for more clarity, at the right (bottom on the image) there are the coins, estates, duchy, curses, randomizer (the biggest stack of all) and in bottom left of the image there are the coins/points and little boards from seaside. In the pics the the manuals are outside the box, but they are usually just a top the card. This is NOT a base domimion box, but I used one to store the first 5 expansions in a similar way (then expansion keep coming...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Welcome to the world of Dominion Storage Options!

You can spend as little or as much as you like on this. As for me, I use cheap card collecting boxes. They wear out, sure, but then I go buy new ones for $8.

Something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Shoe-Row-Storage-Box-1600/dp/B01J4D...
Note this one is $21 for 4 boxes. My FLG/Comic Shop has them in singles, assembled, for $5 or $6 each.

I have yet to find something that will hold everything and is sturdy enough for travel AND doesn't cost more than the expansions I'd want to put in it.

Exactly what I have done. I have room for 2 more full expansions before I would need to explore a third box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have went the route of the cheap card box organizer.

This box contains Dominion base game,Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Dark Ages, both sets of 2nd edition cards for intrigue and base game, and most of the promo cards. There is also space for all the rule books and components.
It still is a bit bulky to carry around but alot better than carrying 6 Dominion sized boxes around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
vica8081 wrote:
You can have base game + 4 expansions in just the base game box without insert. There are lots of options, mine is dirty, cheap and easy (rubber bands each type of card and just sort it by letter with a paper separator between letters) but you can opt for better separators or separator between each type of card, etc. but in anycase 4 expansions fit well in base box (problems starts around the 6th expansion)

Edit: photo added for more clarity, at the right (bottom on the image) there are the coins, estates, duchy, curses, randomizer (the biggest stack of all) and in bottom left of the image there are the coins/points and little boards from seaside. In the pics the the manuals are outside the box, but they are usually just a top the card. This is NOT a base domimion box, but I used one to store the first 5 expansions in a similar way (then expansion keep coming...)

Um, thanks but uh...I'm shooting hopefully for something slightly classier. Only slightly. No offense, and I might end up with something like this anyways it's just not my first pick. Still, I'll keep it in mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
datpusheen wrote:

Um, thanks but uh...I'm shooting hopefully for something slightly classier. Only slightly. No offense, and I might end up with something like this anyways it's just not my first pick. Still, I'll keep it in mind!

Dont worry, I know is "dirty" (thats the reason I put the photo) but I just have no patience to do 100+ organizers. Still is quite fast and setup/cleanup is not more than 5 minutes.
Just take care when moving the base box to pick it from the bottom, not the sides as the box is quite overweight with all the cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Krumholz
Poland
Tarnów
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Krumholz
Poland
Tarnów
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Krumholz
Poland
Tarnów
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to use the binders but it doesn't seem to work with premium sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
edd_hunter wrote:

This is a compelling solution and I like the idea, but where do the large stacks (copper, curses, randomizers, etc.) Go? Is there an accompanying box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Swantner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
They're is no boardgame, only ...
badge
What are you looking at?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just gone with the standard size Dominion boxes and inserts (Broken Token, Go7Gaming, MeepleRealty, etc). Then you don't have one overly large, heavy box.

I keep all of the base cards, enough for a 6 player game, the base set, the 2nd edition base add-on, and all of the promo cards in the base box. Then each full size box can also store around 2 full-size expansions plus 1 or two small expansions. The more recent expansion have been a bit bigger than the old ones, 500 cards, so those usually take up a lane themselves. I also leave all of the randomizers out. I just use a randomizing app.
Plus I sleeve, so if you don't you can get the inserts that provide 3 instead of 2 lanes and non-sleeved cards take up about three times the cards. Though I do use those lanes for all of the tokens & mats.

So I have everything from base to Nocturne Ultra Pro sleeved in 5 boxes. I pick up the base box and another box or two and I'm ready to go. No insanely large, heavy box for me.

At one point I was aiming for the all in one, but why? More than 2 expansions really don't play together well anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZUUL42 wrote:
More than 2 expansions really don't play together well anyway.
Well, you can't be right about everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Thornton
msg tools
I use these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O3MCQI/ref=dp_cerb_2?tag=artic... and hold the treasure and tokens and everything in the side pouches.

Currently I have all the expansions up to Empires in two of these, I'm afraid that Nocturn is gonna be too much for them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Melman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I went simple too. In the base Dominion box I removed the insert and put in two pieces of foam core (just loose). I printed dividers on card stock using Sumpfork's Dominion Divider Generator. In the original box I fit: Dominion, Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Dark Ages and Adventures. The rule books fit on top. The box is 11.5 lbs. I've removed the randomization cards and use an app. Once they no longer fit, I moved the tokens and mats to a small plastic box (and smaller boxes within) from The Container Store.

I just got Nocturne and am trying to figure out what to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! For anyone still listening, how much approximately does the wooden artist case/broken token combo hold? I've just added Intrigue to the list bringing my total expansions to 5, and that also needs room for the base game and the supply cards (obviously). This will affect whether or not I want to buy certain expansions.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fit all existing expansions and promo cards into a hobby lobby case (using the broken token organizer). So far, I've had to take out the randomizers and the blank cards. Not a big deal since I use an app to pick each kingdom anyway. I also currently store all of the boards and things in the case - taking those out would let me store at least one more expansion, I think.

I don't use sleeves though, so you might have a different experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben3847 wrote:
I fit all existing expansions and promo cards into a hobby lobby case (using the broken token organizer). So far, I've had to take out the randomizers and the blank cards. Not a big deal since I use an app to pick each kingdom anyway. I also currently store all of the boards and things in the case - taking those out would let me store at least one more expansion, I think.

I don't use sleeves though, so you might have a different experience.

Thanks a ton, this is really gonna help me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.