Korea: The Forgotten War» Forums » General

Subject: air units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wayne nixon
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I am in process of creating counters for entire Korean war.my question; I understand air units in game are 45 aircraft each. what formations do numbers on aircraft represent- groups,divisions,squadrons,etc. I am unable to match numbers historically.

Thank You

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Spetz

Tampa Bay Area -Pinellas County
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the OCS rules, "While an aircraft unit is roughly 45 aircraft, it is assumed that the operational rate of these is something well under 100%."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ER B
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Since the turns are 3.5 days, the units represent a number of sorties in an area as opposed to a specific strike, so the organization/size may not be fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne nixon
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools

I will assume each is an air group and go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kisner
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Roland LeBlanc, who has done some research for most OCS games over the last ten years or more, tends to first compile lists of the comings and goings of historical squadrons. Ideally, this results in a direct translation into counters, but it gets tricky when the actual numbers stray too far from the “about 45 planes” standard.

I think in Korea you would want to take a look at how the air units in 1950 compare to the historical arrivals (I assume if you can find the OB in 1952, you can also find this). Then try to follow Rod's rough methodology.

Note that Korea was the first OCS game that I was heavily involved in. I think Rod Miller essentially did all the research himself, so you might also try emailing him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.