Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game in the mail today, and have already played 4 solo games...loving the game! But, I had one question regarding a multi-player game.

In the rules, as part of Game Setup (p. 4), it states, "Later, your play group may decide to play also with duchy B, C, or D. All players get always the same duchy!"

Why must all players play with the same duchy?

Has anyone tried playing with different duchies? For example in a 3-player game, player 1 (duchy A), player 2 (duchy C), and player 3 (duchy D).

Does each duchy have a different difficulty, which would put one player at a disadvantage if they chose, for example, D instead of A, or C instead of B?

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zdeněk Procházka
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmb
Normally, we play it and there is no problem with it. If someone feels damaged, the maps will be replaced in return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the point to use the same map between players is because it to see how well you did with the same map and the same dice rolls. Because in the end, every players plays with exactly the same things but it goes in different directions depending only on players' choices. Why Player A did 150 point while player B did only 120 points? It's just how player A played better the dice rolls than player B to be more efficient with what both had. So, using different maps could be not fair as the dice rolls could favor one map over the other and it would not be a right comparison between players as using the same map (so in the end a player could say he just lose because of the map choice). So, that's why I would only play with all the player using the same map, to see how some people can do way better optimizing the same dice roll with the same map, and that's why I think they suggest to play it that way too. But sure, it can be played using different map if it that you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Toussaint
msg tools
designer
I would not recommend using different maps. They are far from balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Toussaint wrote:
I would not recommend using different maps. They are far from balanced.

Could you help me understand the major differences, in regards to balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Toussaint
msg tools
designer
For example duchy C has no area with a size of 4. This can make a difference.
The other differences are more subtle. We designed each duchy to offer all the different paths to victory. But during playtesting we discovered, that some duchys scored usually higher than others.
I just skipped through my notes to look up the scores, but I only found some scores from older versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.