Hide
10 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about monster damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
mb
While reading some session reports, I got the feeling that I've been playing incorrectly.

I'm ignoring accuracy/evasion because I'm certain I have not made any mistake regarding that.

Scenario 1: Monster attacks with 2 Speed and 1 Damage. This is the easiest case as you simply roll the damage location die once for each hit.

Scenario 2: Monster attacks with 1 Speed and 2 Damage. This is also simple as you roll 2 damage location dice if the monster hits.

Scenario 3: Monster attacks with 2 Speed and 2 Damage. What I have been doing is rolling 2d10 to check if either hits, then rolling 2 damage location dice for each hit.

Question 1: Am I playing scenario 3 correctly? Or should I simply roll 1 damage location die for each hit, but taking 2 points of damage for that location?

Question 2: If yes, and the monster gains +1 damage, do I now roll 3 damage location dices for each hit? For example, a 2 Speed, 2 + 2 Damage attack can potentially cause me to roll 8 damage location dice and thus taking 8 points of damage?

Question 3: How does damage reduction, such as the White Lion Cloak, which reduces damage taken from each hit by 1 (minimum 1), work in each scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
hius wrote:
While reading some session reports, I got the feeling that I've been playing incorrectly.

I'm ignoring accuracy/evasion because I'm certain I have not made any mistake regarding that.

Scenario 1: Monster attacks with 2 Speed and 1 Damage. This is the easiest case as you simply roll the damage location die once for each hit.

Scenario 2: Monster attacks with 1 Speed and 2 Damage. This is also simple as you roll 2 damage location dice if the monster hits.

Scenario 3: Monster attacks with 2 Speed and 2 Damage. What I have been doing is rolling 2d10 to check if either hits, then rolling 2 damage location dice for each hit.

Question 1: Am I playing scenario 3 correctly? Or should I simply roll 1 damage location die for each hit, but taking 2 points of damage for that location?

Question 2: If yes, and the monster gains +1 damage, do I now roll 3 damage location dices for each hit? For example, a 2 Speed, 2 + 2 Damage attack can potentially cause me to roll 8 damage location dice and thus taking 8 points of damage?

Question 3: How does damage reduction, such as the White Lion Cloak, which reduces damage taken from each hit by 1 (minimum 1), work in each scenario?

Scenario 1 is right...

Speed is the number of locations hit, damage is that amount of damage done to each location. For each speed that hits you roll a location die and each location then take the full amount of damage. That should make question 3 self explanatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Sams
msg tools
mbmb
You roll one hit location die per hit.

Scenario 1: The monster rolls 2 hit location dice and does 1 damage to each rolled location.
Scenario 2: The monster rolls 1 hit location die and does 2 damage to that location.
Scenario 3: The monster rolls 2 hit location dice and does 2 damage to each location.

Question 1: Nope. See above.
Question 2: Nope. See above.

Question 3:
Scenario 1: No effect.
Scenario 2: Reduces the damage done to the hit location by 1.
Scenario 3: Reduces the damage done to each location by 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Sigler
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Edit: The post above is the TLR of this post. Ignore this. Good job putting that in as short and sweet as possible.

The best way to answer Question 1 is like this for me was to imagine each "Die" as a separate blow in the attack.
Each AI Card is more like a "Combo attack" in a fighting video game.

So in Scenario 1) The monster has 2 "Speed" which is two Swipes. Each swipe can only hit a single location.
So if they both hit, you'd roll 2 hit-Location Dice.

In Scenario 2) You would roll 1 die, for the 1 "speed". If it hits, you would roll one hit location die. But it would suffer 2 damage, as the swing was deep crushing blow.

In Scenario 3) You would roll 2d10, for the 2 "Speed". Each swipe again can only hit 1 location. Assuming both dice hit; You would roll 2 hit location dice. Each Hit location would suffer a massive two damage.

Answer Question 2) If you applied 2 +1 Damage tokens to the monster. Each hit would deal 4 damage. So yes, 8 damage could be rolled, if both hit location dice hit the same location. It's still 2 sets of 4 damage, so; you could only dodge 1 of them.

Question 3) With the White Lion Cloak, would reduce incoming damage to a hit location by 1. So in Scenario 1, Each location rolled would take 1 damage. In Scenario 2, each location would take 1 damage, assuming you rolled different locations.
In Scenario 3, each location would take 1 damage, again assuming you rolled different locations.

Final example to help clear things up:
White Lion has a massive Bloody Claw
Speed 2
Accuracy 2+
Damage 2.

The White Lion has 2 +2 Damage tokens.

The white lion attacks J The Survivor. The white Lion rolls 4, and 6. 2 hits.
The white lion rolls 2 hit location dice. Chest and Head.
The Chest would take 4 damage, but because J came somewhat prepared with the fashionable White Lion Cloak, his chest takes 3 damage instead. Still enough to knock him on the ground, but thanks to that cloak, he's still in the game.

Unfortunately, The White lion is ALSO dealing 4 damage to the head. Which is reduced to 3. which is enough to break through his super cool armor of 0 in the head. The White Lion decapitates J. Leaving J dead in a heap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the quick answers. I'm starting to think that my party would not have been wiped had I been playing correctly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
hius wrote:
Thanks for the quick answers. I'm starting to think that my party would not have been wiped had I been playing correctly...

Generally you'll find the opposite to be true. Your method was spreading the damage around more so you'd be less likely to roll on the severe injury table. Once you have a bit of armor taking 4 damage to one location is often more punishing than 1 damage to 4 locations. You're dodges become more powerful though since you would dodge all 4 points of damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
cormor321 wrote:
hius wrote:

Generally you'll find the opposite to be true. Your method was spreading the damage around more so you'd be less likely to roll on the severe injury table. Once you have a bit of armor taking 4 damage to one location is often more punishing than 1 damage to 4 locations. You're dodges become more powerful though since you would dodge all 4 points of damage.

So just to make it clear, spending 1 survival to dodge negates all damage taken to only one location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
hius wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
hius wrote:

So just to make it clear, spending 1 survival to dodge negates all damage taken to only one location?

It negates all the damage from one hit location die. So if you took 2 hits for 4 damage each at the same location dodge would only prevent the damage from one of the hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
cormor321 wrote:

It negates all the damage from one hit location die. So if you took 2 hits for 4 damage each at the same location dodge would only prevent the damage from one of the hits.

Glad to know I didn't mess up there. And by the way, i think rolling 8 dice with 1 damage is worse than rolling 2 dice with 4 damage, since you're more likely to roll several severe injuries at one time. Dodging also becomes weaker in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Church
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
hius wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
hius wrote:

Technically, dodge negates the hit entirely (not just damage), which is important for considering "after hit" effects vs. "after damage" effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.