Hide
7 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Variants

Subject: Zombies dropping loot - No search variant. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Sánchez
msg tools
I’ll like to share with you this variant that came to my mind some time ago, but just use it yesterday and it was great. The idea is to change the “search” action for something more dynamic, which is zombies having a chance to drop “loot” when killed.
Here is how this works:

What you need:
-1D20 (better if one per player)
-Equipment deck
-Vault equipment deck (optional, could be change for WB equipment deck)

Set up:
-Shuffle the Equipment Deck and place one face down equipment card randomly on each room. At the same time, flip a coin or roll a die (50-50%) to determine if there would be a second equipment card there. The rest of the cards would make the Drop Equipment Deck. Make sure to placed at least 2 bilis and 2 torch between rooms, and 2 bilis and 2 torch in the Drop Equipment Deck (otherwise luck could play so much against you).

Rules:
-The “Search” action is now only possible if there is at least one equipment card in that area, an that card would be taken with that action. For this, you still need no zombies in the area and it could be made once per turn.
-During players turn, any time the player determines he would no longer kill zombies in that area but after killing at least one, he should roll a D20. If he rolls 20+, then place an Equipment card from the Drop Equipment Deck randomly face up in that area.
-For every Exp Point the player gets in that area, he can add +1 to die roll, making easier to get loot the more zombies you kill. So abominations and tokens collected allows a +5 to die roll.
-Killing an abomination would allow to get a Vault equipment card (or WB if you set them apart from normal drop equipment cards) instead of a normal equipment card.
-NPC’s collecting-exchanging rule doesn’t work here, instead they still be special as they ad +2 to die roll por every one you kill.
-Players still need to spend an action to collect that equipment, but as it will be drop face up, they’ll know if they want it and it’ll be up to him if he takes it or let it there.
-If: die roll + points to die roll ≥ 40, ad 1 extra normal equipment card, another extra for ≥60, and so on.
-If a survivor dies, his equipment is drop in that area so other players may collect it latter.
-Discard equipment isn’t actually discard but drop in the area. Unless you want to activate it’s effect as food, bilis or torch.
-Torch reveal face down cards as you walk by the area they're placed, without any action cost, but you still can only take one per action.

Many played sessions were about open a building and spend most of the time searching the same area for the right equipment, so this variant doesn’t allow you to do this. It’s kinda more dynamic as you can’t stay to much in the same place and force you to keep moving to other rooms. It makes the game a little longer in time, as you need to explore more the map, but never feels like you are wasting your time in the same place. It’s exciting rolling a die expecting to get something and motivates the team to kill zombies. Also killing zombies with a range attack, seen how they drop something interesting and feeling the need to walk between other zombies just to get that equipment is exciting too. Even having just 1 or 2 weapons by room to collect is more thematic.

Any way. I really like how this works, so i decide to share it with you. If any one wants to try it and share their experience and opinion I’ll be glad to read you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I will try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k karyo
msg tools
Awesome! Can you elaborate on placing torch/bilis at setup phase? What is bilis anyway? I don't think wolves could carry an item though, any idea on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Sánchez
msg tools
karyo wrote:
Awesome! Can you elaborate on placing torch/bilis at setup phase? What is bilis anyway? I don't think wolves could carry an item though, any idea on that?

I guess you can also place a torch/bilis inside every vault, instead of mix them between the drop equipment deck, it still make more sense as you said. If there's the tile #1 where there is a temple or any tile with a tower it could be place there.

About wolfs, crows and the upcoming rats; you can still make them to not add any point to die roll, I don't thing this would stop players to kill them, those are pretty great challenge and they still need to be kill even if they don't add points to the die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Williamson
msg tools
I don't eliminate searches but instead spawn treasure chests when opening doors 1d6 per room (similar to Massive Darkness)...so searching is limited.

I also like dropped equipment but prefer to keep it simple and stick with the d6. Instead of 15+ on a d20 for aboms as you suggest I just use "1" on a d6 (so 1/6 chance instead of 1/4)...but I do roll for all zombies, not just aboms. Again, this encourages fighting instead of camping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Sánchez
msg tools
Derek7676 wrote:

I also like dropped equipment but prefer to keep it simple and stick with the d6. Instead of 15+ on a d20 for aboms as you suggest I just use "1" on a d6 (so 1/6 chance instead of 1/4)...but I do roll for all zombies, not just aboms. Again, this encourages fighting instead of camping.

Abominations just ad +5, but every zombie kill could result on a loot drop. Every zombie ad a 5% of chances, thats why I use the D20.

I like the idea of the treasures. I havent play massive darkness yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
karyo wrote:

I think the 'bilis' is Dragon Biles. (Thus the pairing them with torches - it doesn't matter if you've found two Dragon Biles if you can't get your hands on a torch!)

I like this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.