15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations for wife and I rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brandon lee
msg tools
Hello all,

My wife and I are looking to get into board games. Perhaps mostly Co-Op for now. I've done a crap ton of research today on the board games I think I might like and will run by her, but wanted to run them by you experts as well .

I'm not sure what information you may need from me to help, but we have not played any prior games before. She loves mystery books/tv shows as do I. And I love fantasy games. Mostly any games not revolving around space I'd say.

Here is the list I've come up with for games I think we would enjoy.

1. Dead Men Tell No Tales

2. Legends of Andor

3. Dead of Winter (not sure if this is fun with just 2players?)

4. Marvel Upper Deck Legendary

5. Eldritch Horror

6. T.I.M.E Stories

7. Zombicide Black Plague

8. Pandemic Legacy Season 1

9. Ghost Stories

10. London Dread

11. Elder Sign

12. DC Comics Deck Building

13. Mansions of Madness Board Game, 2nd Edition

14. Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle

15. The Big Book of Madness

16. Defenders of The Realm

17. Mage Knight

18. Descent: Journeys in The Dark Second Edition

19. Arkham Horror: The Card Game

20. Mistfall Game

21. Robinson Crusoe Adeventures on the Cursed Island

22. Codenames

Thanks in advance !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are just getting into boardgames I would start with ones that aren't too heavy.

Those that fit that requirement would be...

Hogwarts Battle
Big Book of Madness
Codenames

The rest of the games on your list are fairly involved in learning the rules (There are a couple I haven't played so I am not sure) and you would be better trying something that isn't so daunting to get started. Once you get your feet wet you can branch off into more involved games.

Personally if you are Harry Potter fans than I would push towards Hogwarts battle. It starts you with a simple scenario and it gets harder with each year. My wife and I are both experienced gamer and we really liked it.

You can't go wrong with Codenames although I might suggest you look for the recently released Codenames: Duet as it is intended for two players where as basic Codenames is better with 4 or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not experienced a lot of the games you listed. But the ones I have I will comment on below.

!. TIME Stories
Very cool game, not sure it is as good with only two

2. Codenames-lots of fun, again not as good with two. They are releasing or have released a version called Codenames Duet, which is for 2 player I believe

3. Big Book of Madness-I like this game, definitely solid for 2 player. There is a lot of thought and cooperating required in this. It can become one person controlling it all if you are not careful

Recommendations
1. One Deck Dungeon-super simple, quick, cheap and fun. I Think it is a good intro

2. Tides of Time: FANTASTIC 2 player game-though not cooperative

3. Mysterium: This is brilliant with 4 or more players, but my wife and I will often play it two person and we enjoy it

4. Sentinels of the Multiverse This is a bit more complex, but I have really enjoyed it, and my wife will play it with me as well.

5. Expedition RPG: This one is hard to explian but check it out. RPG, meets choose your own adventure meets deck builder

6. Too Many Bones This is pricey, and complex. I have not played it yet as I have it on order, but I am very excited about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of luck as you two delve into board games! It's a great way to spend time together as a couple.

I haven't played a lot of stuff on your list, but I know a little about everything and that's a pretty varied list. I would start with something that isn't too heavy/complex as you have no prior board game experience. If you visit a game's page here on BGG, there will be a weight rating on the top banner. For your first game, I'd suggest staying below a 3. Another useful feature you'll find on a game's page is playtime. Is there an ideal length you would like a game to last? They can run anywhere from a few minutes to several hours, so that's something to consider.

If you've been doing a lot of research then you probably know some of this, but that info really is helpful and has factored into many game purchases for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just went down your list to make things more clear

1. Dead Men Tell No Tales - Good Game but not very intuitive. WOuldn't want this to be my first foray into gaming.

2. Legends of Andor - Also cool but a bit complex and not very forgiving to new players.

3. Dead of Winter (not sure if this is fun with just 2players?) - Best with more players and there is a lot here.

4. Marvel Upper Deck Legendary - Not played.

5. Eldritch Horror - Very Complex lots of movie parts and very long game ( hours long) It is really awesome, but not a "first game"

6. T.I.M.E Stories - Fairly complex and not very forgiving from what I have heard.

7. Zombicide Black Plague - I actually play this with my 10 year old. but to me it doesn't feel like a good first game. I think this comes off as easy to me because I have a lot of experience, but my gut says pass on this for now.

8. Pandemic Legacy Season 1 - A full Legacy game as your first gaming might not be great. You could find a basic Pandemic fairly cheap to see if you like it.

9. Ghost Stories - This game is BRUTAL. The game is not really easy to learn and once you do it is VERY hard to beat. My wife and I have played it 20 times or so and only won a couple times. So hard we avoid it now because it is frustrating.

10. London Dread - Not played.

11. Elder Sign - I can;t suggest this. I own it and have played it a bunch, but I think it is really complicated for what it is. It is basically Yahtzee monster fighting in the Museum, but a lot of rules to get there.

12. DC Comics Deck Building - Only played a little bit. I think if the theme is really drawing you in it could work.

13. Mansions of Madness Board Game, 2nd Edition - I have only played first edition. Most accounts say the App makes this a great experience for newer players since it covers the rules for you. Very expensive for a game if you don;t get into it.

14. Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle - This is my suggestion to get as posted above.

15. The Big Book of Madness - This would work well I think.

16. Defenders of The Realm - I really love this game and if I was introducing you to gaming I would happily have you come play with us, but I think it is pretty Epic for a first game.

17. Mage Knight - I love playing heavy game and this one puts me off with its complexity.

18. Descent: Journeys in The Dark Second Edition - This is truly Epic. you will be looking at hours of playtime and hours just to get yourself playing the game. Much better with more players. (though I think there is an App now which might solve that problem?)

19. Arkham Horror: The Card Game - I really like this game, but it is very complex, not a first timers games.

20. Mistfall Game - Not played.

21. Robinson Crusoe Adeventures on the Cursed Island - Very Complex and difficult, avoid for now.

22. Codenames - Buy it. As mentioned Duet may be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

Hogwarts Battle
Big Book of Madness
Codenames Duet

These are great options.

I'll vote for T.I.M.E. Stories as well, if you don't mind the ongoing costs of getting new scenarios. We play with 4p when other people are interested, but as a narrative/problem solving game, we almost prefer it with just the two of us playing two characters each, as we know how we work together and have played enough of these sorts of things to optimise our playing and our enjoyment.

If you really love mystery solving, definitely also look at Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases (the latest edition if you can get it). It's a lot of reading and not really a "board game", but very enjoyable. Perfect for 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Frantz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some my wife and I enjoy:

Codenames Duet is great (as is Codenames)
7 Wonders Duel
Pickomino
Pandemic (co-op)
Pathfinder Card Game (co-op)
Space Cadets: Away Missions (co-op)
Jaipur
Kingdom Builder (only one play so far - just got it)
Splendor
The Quest for El Dorado

I think these are all good "first" games. A lot of the games on your list are excellent, but are too ambitious to jump in with, perhaps. (Especially Mage Knight!)

If you have a friend that is more experienced and can teach you some of these slightly heavier games, that could be a good way to go.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas S
Germany
Frankfurt/Main
flag msg tools
Timbero...
badge
...de corazon!
mb
Quote:
Best of luck as you two delve into board games! It's a great way to spend time together as a couple.

thumbsup

Concerning Pandemic Legacy: if you do decide to get this, I recommend giving the base game a couple of plays before you start the Legacy campaign. It will be more fun if you know what you're doing!

I also noticed that you chose many games from the heavier side. Nothing wrong with that (I like meaty games myself), but I think it's nice to also have some light or mid-weight, quick filler games for the end of a night when you're still in the mood to play something, but you just know that you won't get in another round of, say, Descent. Off the top of my head, I'd say games like Santorini, Qoridor, Cottage Garden, Patchwork, Escape: The Curse of the Temple, Carcassonne: The South Seas, Beasty Bar... The choices are myriads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As regular players of two-player games here are our thoughts on your list:

Recommended for starters:
Elder Sign

The Big Book of Madness

Pandemic Legacy Season 1
- play this as regular Pandemic a few times before starting the legacy campaign.

Codenames - you'll need Codenames: Duet

Best left a little longer (but also recommended)
Ghost Stories - hard co-op game

Mansions of Madness Board Game, 2nd Edition

T.I.M.E Stories - don't know how this works with two; we play this 3-player.

Mage Knight - excellent game but can devolve into a long time spent contemplating your turn

Descent: Journeys in The Dark Second Edition - another good choice, but the 'hero' player is probably going to have to run several characters.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game - don't know how this works with two; we've played it three player: one on combat, one on magic and one on support

Best avoided (with reasons)
Legends of Andor - we found this a bit mathematical - you had to work out all your moves several turns in advance.

Eldritch Horror - doesn't scale well for two; you'll need to run two characters each

London Dread - doesn't scale well for two; you have half the number of actions to complete the same activities.

Robinson Crusoe Adventures on the Cursed Island - brutally hard co-op

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe use the Advanced Search function and select some options that way as there are so many games on BGG. You could:

Select the 'weight' of maybe 1.7 to 3.0
Rating of maybe 7.2 upwards
With the category as 'Family'. There are a lot of gateway games in that category and co-op ones are in this category too.
With co op as a mechanic.

Then play around with it, selecting different options and see what comes up that might be to your liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love co-op games, so does my wife. You have some hard, complex and long games on this list. I would avoid the games the others have already suggested.

Big Book of Madness - Great choice

Marvel Legendary - It can be as easy or hard as you want it to be. Also, it has a way to compare your scores at the end for bragging rights. Really fun and relaxing.

Pandemic Legacy Season 1 - Another solid choice but I would play it as regular Pandemic many many times before you attempt the Legacy version of the game.

Some other options,

Flash Point - My favourite co-op.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective

Freedom: Underground Railroad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a welcome to the geek, i chipped in some geek gold to get yourself an avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Frunzi
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Agreed. It seems like you like the Lovecraft theme and cooperative games. I’d recommend pandemic reign of Cthulhu. Also, mansions of madness is fairly simple and straight forward. It’s a good “gateway’ fantasy flight game. If you like fantasy, then lords of Waterdeep is fun.
If you’re looking for slightly heavier games that are easy to learn and work well with 2, then viticulture is a great choice. Dominion fits that as well.

One other suggestion: pick a couple that have iOS versions and learn the rules there first. The Agricola app is phenomenal. I have a much easier time getting my wife to play games when I understand them well enough to teach to her. She doesn’t have patience when it comes to instructions. The vast majority of my gaming is just me n’ my wife, and I agree that it is a wonderful way to connect and spend time together. The Married with board games podcast is good, but if you’re prone to impulse buys then it can cost you some money!

feel free to message me any time for reds. I’m constantly trying out new games with my wife.
Good luck and enjoy this great hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brandon lee
msg tools
Man you all are so quick! Thanks a bunch. I'm trying to come up with ideas for my Christmas present from the Mrs' and I was going to buy a few of these myself, but apparently I just buy whatever I want whenever so I don't really know what to ask her for lol.

I somehow forgot to add Sherlock Holmes and the original Pandemic as well as Forbidden Island to my list as they're my #1s so far.

Going to catch up on reading these comments, but thank you all so much for the information. I personally could probably play a board game for 5 days straight but I'm sure my pregnant wife would not approve

Edit:

@Frunzi

Awesome! Thanks for the information. I'll definitely check the podcast as that seems neat. I'm hoping this becomes one of our favorite hobbies. She hates video games because of controllers so I'm hoping we can both get into this.

@WestyMan
Thank you kind sir. I'll have to get an Avatar with this gift.

@everyone else.

Thanks again for the great suggestions. I'll definitely tweak my list a bit so we can start off on the right foot. All the games seem so fun and I'm glad they're so many out there that we may be able to enjoy now/in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A little piece of advice: don't buy too many games at once, better to have a good game that you'll play a lot with your wife, and expand from there, to avoid churning. Which means that an hour-long game like Pandemic (or Pandemic-legacy) would be a nice start.

But hey, who am I kidding, you look like a bona fide BGGer, so you'll probably clock a 100 game collection before 6 months

In any case, welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.