Target for Today» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bomber damage during a mission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Galio
msg tools
mb
OK.. my B-17G was shot up by an FW-190 during a mission, resulting in
the right waist gun and top turret being INOPERABLE.. My question is when do they become operable again?? Next mission? Next campaign? Can anyone clarify? Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If that is the only damage you took it could easily be repaired overnight. The ground crews worked all night repairing bombers.

Some players use a system created by Bruce Peckham to tally up the damage and determine repair time, or if a bomber was even repairable. Here is a link.https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26467913#26467913

If you read some of these reports for this forum's mission you'll see Peckham Points referenced. http://509th-vbw.proboards.com/thread/1103/mission-155-banhi...

Assume that they wouldn't let you fly the next mission unless you were fully repaired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Galio
msg tools
mb
it’s amazing that things like this aren’t addressed in the rules where there is an obviously common occurrence.
Thank you Sir once again for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I roll 2D6 to find days of aircraft on ground.

Pick the highest die with heavy damage.
Lowest with no or minor damage.

Sometimes I use the difference between dice or add them.
Depends on the mood I am in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Delnore
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tjay70 wrote:
it’s amazing that things like this aren’t addressed in the rules where there is an obviously common occurrence.

It probably never occurred to anyone that this had to be explained. Historically the Eighth Air Force did not send aircraft on missions unless they were in perfect working order and fully crewed.

In B-17: Queen of the Skies, you just flew a mission and then another one and then another one until your crew died (or I suppose possibly made it to 25 missions). The game focused on a particular period. There was no real detail on the time between the missions. Thus this question did not really arise: you just always started out with an aircraft in perfect working order, and things degenerated from there.

Players wanted to add more detail so came up with various additional rules detailing how much time passed between missions and how long it took man and machine to recover from the previous missions.

TfT as published does include additional detail, but perhaps not enough. The detailed target list and modifiers for months suggests that time passes between missions. Nonetheless, the game lacks any mechanics for saying how much time passes.

Unchanged, though, in all of this is that you always start with an aircraft in perfect working order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
tjay70 wrote:

T Galio,
As this detail has no real effect on the game it is not a major, or minor, flaw to this game. Most people have just came up with their own system on how to handle convalescing crew members. I have played in over five online B-17: Queen of the Skies campaigns and also ran three campaigns including the 281st BG (H) here on BGG in the B-17: Queen of the Skies page.

If you are interested in further house rules, including Wound Recovery times and Bomber Repair times, you can check out my House Rules for the 281st BG (H) campaign, HERE. Please note that not all of these variants will seamlessly work in Target For Today, but many can be used as is or with very little modifications.

As I just received this game just over a week ago for Christmas, I plan to create a conversion for these rules and make a Geek List for Target For Today.

Abe Delnore wrote:
It probably never occurred to anyone that this had to be explained. Historically the Eighth Air Force did not send aircraft on missions unless they were in perfect working order and fully crewed.

I am sure it occurred to the game designers but was probably left to the gamer to figure out what works best for their gaming. As Steve Dixon, Game Designer, ran a online B-17:QotS campaign for years. He took us through the war starting in 1942 all the way to wars end in the ETO 1945.

Steve also ran an online campaign for B-29 Superfortress, which he also designed, when that game was published. From what I under Steve is running one or two campaigns for TFT. Which all took into account the days between missions.

If you look at what others have done for their online campaigns you will get an idea how you can determine the time between missions. It all depends on how much paperwork you are willing to do to get as close as posable to a historical time line.

I personally will follow the mission rotations of what the Mighty Eighth flew. But at times I will just roll a die and use that as the days between missions. Just depends on my mood.

Happy Gaming!
Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.