Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Platoon Move forward into enemy LOS - correct use of PDFs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Forgive me posting what I think is a very elementary question - yet I cannot find the definitive statement in the rulebook.

Turn 2 - an AT moves forward and the PC event exposes an HMG in one adjacent card, and an 2/1 squad in another adjacent card.Both are spotted. Both place PDFs & VOFs into/on the Assault Team's card, the -1 A from the HMG being the better.

Turn 3 - the rest of the Assault Team's Platoon move forward adjacent to the Assault Team and are now in LOS and adjacent themselves to the two enemy occupied cards. So they immediately open fire and place PDF and VOF onto the enemy.

My Question : Do I treat the platoon move as one entity - which will place just ONE PDF - Either against the 2/1 squad or the HMG - or do BOTH enemy occupied cards come under fire?

I think just one card is targeted - following the protocol outlined in 6.1.1 - which, in this example, will mean that the HMG will be my target as this projects the highest VOF. Correct?

IOW, what I'm asking is - regardless of how many friendly units occupy a card, there is only ever one PDF from that card targeting an enemy card - there can never be split fire, targeting 2 or more cards.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Litsios
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masonstone wrote:

IOW, what I'm asking is - regardless of how many friendly units occupy a card, there is only ever one PDF from that card targeting an enemy card - there can never be split fire, targeting 2 or more cards.

Yes, exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ã…kerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masonstone wrote:
My Question : Do I treat the platoon move as one entity - which will place just ONE PDF - Either against the 2/1 squad or the HMG - or do BOTH enemy occupied cards come under fire?

One PDF. This is made (fairly) clear in 6.2.3.

Masonstone wrote:
I think just one card is targeted - following the protocol outlined in 6.1.1 - which, in this example, will mean that the HMG will be my target as this projects the highest VOF. Correct?

I'm believe this is correct, even though the wording in 6.1.1 in that case is a bit unfortunate. In other rules sections they speak about "best VOF" which would have been preferable if they mean to target the most dangerous enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Thanks folks for your replies and confirmations - reading the forum posts has been a great help for me to get into this great game - I know that usually, the answers to most folks questions ARE in the rulebook somewhere - it is just that often the relevant informations is widely scattered between its pages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Masonstone wrote:
it is just that often the relevant informations is widely scattered between its pages

Agreed. That is why the FoF Bootcamp was formed. It is an index of many of the most common topics allowing you to find the rules references scattered throughout the rulebook.

https://sites.google.com/site/fieldsoffirebootcamp/home

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.