Hide
5 Posts

For the People» Forums » Rules

Subject: Generals overstacking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerardo Bolanos
msg tools
My army is at Washington and it is OOS. The CSA attacks and drops my SP count so now I have 1 general too many. The CSA gets to pick which general to remove and place it on the turn track, can this general be the Commanding general?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Supreme Court Listener
badge
Supporter of the National Flag Football League
mbmbmbmbmb
gebs99 wrote:
My army is at Washington and it is OOS. The CSA attacks and drops my SP count so now I have 1 general too many. The CSA gets to pick which general to remove and place it on the turn track, can this general be the Commanding general?

5.29 NUMBER OF GENERALS IN AN ARMY: At the beginning and end of each strategy round, the number of generals in an Army may not be greater than three more than the number of SPs in the space. There can be fewer generals than SPs in an Army. Cavalry Brigades count as one general for this purpose. If at the end of any strategy round this requirement is not met, then excess generals (picked by the opposing player), not Cavalry Brigades, are placed on the reinforcement track to reenter play next turn.

However in the third paragraph of 5.2.2: Once a general is in command of an Army he can only be replaced with another general by relieving him [5.61].

5.61 RELIEVING GENERALS: A player may only replace a commanding general of an Army by relieving him.

These are not the clearest rules in the GMT universe....But the intent of the developer, I believe, is that Generals of Army get major protections. Therefore, I would argue that no, you may not choose the Commanding General of the Army as one of the "excess" Generals.

That said, if you argued that they could, I would be hard pressed, other than the information provided above, to strongly argue against you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules the same way as huffman123. In addition, I dont think the army’s “2nd in command” may be selected.

Also in rule 5.22: “The only way to remove the highest ranking non-commanding general from the Army is through the use of an event card or General Casualty.”

So in the case of a 1 SP army with 5 generals, the opponent will remove one of the 3 generals that is not in command, and is not the highest P of the remaining 4 non commanders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Supreme Court Listener
badge
Supporter of the National Flag Football League
mbmbmbmbmb
ekrommen wrote:
I read the rules the same way as huffman123. In addition, I dont think the army’s “2nd in command” may be selected.

Also in rule 5.22: “The only way to remove the highest ranking non-commanding general from the Army is through the use of an event card or General Casualty.”

So in the case of a 1 SP army with 5 generals, the opponent will remove one of the 3 generals that is not in command, and is not the highest P of the remaining 4 non commanders.

Also not a cav

Edited: Now that I think about it, I disagree with you Erik. The 2nd in Command IS eligible for battle casualties. So I think the opponent could pick him to come in next turn too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerardo Bolanos
msg tools
Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.