8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ranged Attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Funktastic

Antarctica
msg tools
Thought I had this down without needing to address the forums again, but I have created some doubt in my mind. Hoping you can help me with it.

There is an enemy archer with 1 character directly adjacent to it, and another character elsewhere, but within both range and line of sight.

There is no movement on its action card.

The enemy can make her attack on either character without movement, so who does it focus on? Where does prioritize removing disadvantage come into play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disadvantage can only be removed by moving, since the archer can't move, she can't remove disadvantage. (She maintains her focus on the NEAREST enemy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Funktastic

Antarctica
msg tools
Will an archer run through a trap to remove disadvantage? Even if that trap kills it, or stuns it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traps are considered obstacles unless there is no way to get in range. Since it's already in range, it would consider it an obstacle (and therefore not move into the trap).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I (a character) is adjacent to an enemy but chooses to do a ranged attack on an enemy that isn't adjacent to me, am I disadvantaged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, attacks are only disadvantaged of you are adjacent to your target and performing a ranged attack (or if you're muddled).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
Disadvantage can only be removed by moving, since the archer can't move, she can't remove disadvantage. (She maintains her focus on the NEAREST enemy.)
She maintains focus on the enemy that can attacked from the unoccupied hex that can be reached by the shortest unblocked path. Proximity is only the first tie-breaker. (While "nearest" is a convenient shorthand, it's also inaccurate and misleading, so not that useful when trying to clarify rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Willottica wrote:
She maintains focus on the enemy that can attacked from the unoccupied hex that can be reached by the shortest unblocked path. Proximity is only the first tie-breaker. (While "nearest" is a convenient shorthand, it's also inaccurate and misleading, so not that useful when trying to clarify rules)

Except that in this case, the OP has already worked out the situation, and made it clear that the Archer can't move and is already ADJACENT to one figure of two figures that can be targeted from the current hex. That is the NEAREST, and therefore the focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.