Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Rossi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I know this card has the "double dip" benefit of being able to add an extra target by adding +1 Range, and this may sound greedy, but does adding this enhancement cost double for being a multi-target attack?

I ask because this ability is written differently from most multi-target attacks (with respect to the starting classes). I know conditionally multi-target attacks that require consuming elements to add targets beyond the first aren't doubled. I don't necessarily think this one is conditional, but I'm just not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say "no", it is considered a single target attack. (At least as far as enhancement goes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rossi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
I would say "no", it is considered a single target attack. (At least as far as enhancement goes.)

After doing some more digging, I found this response from Isaac. He says Impaling Eruption costs double.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to be wrong on this one. 😀

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Desroches
Canada
flag msg tools
The simple rule for enhancements is if the part of the card your are enhancing would enhance the card's ability to affect multiple things then it costs double.

If a card was like
Attack 3 o
All Adjacent Enemies
Move 3 o

Enhancing the attack would cost 100g and enhancing the move would cost 30g as the move in no way influences anything related to multiple things being affected.

Beyond that I am reasonably confident that even enhancing a multi-target ability would not double the cost if the end result was the same as if the enhancement was not on a multi-target card. So adding an element infusion to a target 2 attack would not double the cost as there is no way to gain an extra benefit from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rossi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flamingcloud83 wrote:
The simple rule for enhancements is if the part of the card your are enhancing would enhance the card's ability to affect multiple things then it costs double.

If a card was like
Attack 3 o
All Adjacent Enemies
Move 3 o

Enhancing the attack would cost 100g and enhancing the move would cost 30g as the move in no way influences anything related to multiple things being affected.

Beyond that I am reasonably confident that even enhancing a multi-target ability would not double the cost if the end result was the same as if the enhancement was not on a multi-target card. So adding an element infusion to a target 2 attack would not double the cost as there is no way to gain an extra benefit from that.

I don't think the last part of what you said is correct. The move is a separate ability from the attack so I don't think it's doubled, but if any enhancement applied to a multi-target ability should be doubled as per the rule below:

"Double the base cost of an enhancement (other than an attack hex) if it is applied to an ability that targets multiple figures."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Desroches
Canada
flag msg tools
WarioMCP wrote:
Flamingcloud83 wrote:

If a card was like
Attack 3 o
All Adjacent Enemies
Move 3 o

I don't think the last part of what you said is correct. The move is a separate ability from the attack so I don't think it's doubled, but if any enhancement applied to a multi-target ability should be doubled as per the rule below:

"Double the base cost of an enhancement (other than an attack hex) if it is applied to an ability that targets multiple figures."

Oh I agree with you completely, the rules as written it would be double, but I am fairly confident that the rules as intended/spirit of the law as opposed to letter of the law would not double the cost of an element infusion(or other enhancement that has no extra effect) on a multi-target ability.

The reason costs are doubled is because things like +1 to attack might target 2-4 enemies making it so you gain 2-4 damage. If it has no extra effect then there should be in the spirit of the rules no extra cost. I believe this is the way Isaac would rule as well. Sometimes edge cases are not spelled out because it would bog down the rulebook with exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.