Hide
9 Posts

Teen Titans GO! Deck-Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Can it be played by 4 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A B.
msg tools
This game is designed for 2 players, but can it be played by 4 four players if you get an additional set of starter decks? (or in some other way?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could, but I don't think it would be as good of an experience, since there wouldn't be that many sidekicks to gain and the main deck will likely run out before all the Super-Villains are defeated.

If you have another base set, I would recommend you mix some of the cards from that main deck (mostly 6+ cost cards) with TTG. Then play as a Super Hero from that base set and use the Teen Titans only for their Sidekick side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd F
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Nathaniel, do you think 3 players would be a reasonable stretch?

E.g. Use all 8 Nemesis cards. Give each player 5 Punch cards, 2 Snack Time cards, and 2 Teen Titan Go cards. The starting decks are a little lean, but with the TTG cards they should ramp up quickly. And with 3 players, there are 3 Sidekicks, making them reasonably available to all.

Was there a reason to target only 2 players other than perhaps price point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
glax wrote:
Hey Nathaniel, do you think 3 players would be a reasonable stretch?

E.g. Use all 8 Nemesis cards. Give each player 5 Punch cards, 2 Snack Time cards, and 2 Teen Titan Go cards. The starting decks are a little lean, but with the TTG cards they should ramp up quickly. And with 3 players, there are 3 Sidekicks, making them reasonably available to all.

Was there a reason to target only 2 players other than perhaps price point?

That could work, but starting with 2 TTG cards would be a pretty juiced start. The variance in opening hands between players would be greater than the normal game.

It was mostly because of the price point. The sidekick idea actually came from wanting to do something with all the characters that weren't being used since normally only 2 would be used in each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd F
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response!

Perhaps just one TTG card per player then, or maybe experiment with ramping up hand size, say starting with 3 cards and then going up to 4, then 5. This might result in the inability to buy something for a turn, but that is a chance in the 2-player game as well. (BTW, my original response should've said 4 Punch cards per player instead of 5.)

I suppose the other concern would be having a really lean deck with the more expensive and powerful cards mixed in and coming up so often. I'll post an update here if I get a chance to try some variations with 3 players.

It's too bad that price point was a constraint when I'd expect most buyers would not need the heavy-duty (and presumably pricey) dividers. But I love the ingenuity that came out of the constraint; the sidekick mechanism is a nice innovation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We try to have product at various price points. Prior to TTG, there was no 2 player entry level of the normal game (Rivals uses a slightly different mechanism). So, that was the focus of that product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd F
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. It's a strong entry with a great theme, so an official 3-4 player variant using an additional copy of the game would be welcome. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." - Bruno Faidutti
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a dream that there'll be an expansion revolving around The Night Begins to Shine or Go! To The Movies, which can be played on its own as a two-player game, or combined with TTG for 3 and 4-player games.

C'mon B.E.R. and Justice League sidekicks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Norris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
I have a dream that there'll be an expansion revolving around The Night Begins to Shine or Go! To The Movies, which can be played on its own as a two-player game, or combined with TTG for 3 and 4-player games.

C'mon B.E.R. and Justice League sidekicks...

Oh God, please this!!!

I say you there... in the corner
I caught your name... in a conversation.

A B.E.R expansion would be awesome, and the Titans have variants for that universe too!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.