Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like Super Meeple is bringing this back rethemed. I'm not excited about the new theme, but the old one was also kind of ho hum for me as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to know if there are going to be changes to the play mat then. While I admit that the theme to Attika is weak, the building chains at least make sense. I'm not sure how to correlate that aspect of the game in terms of telegraph poles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Super Meeple's Facebook post on January 9th:

Quote:
U.S. Telegraph :

This is the reimplementation of the famous Marcel-André Casasola-Merkle game called Attika. We have changed the theme to stick better to the mechanic. The game will take place in the US in the XIX century, when the first Transcontinental Telegraph was built. Each player will develop his own city participate to the Telegraph construction. It's a tile placement game for 2 to 4 players, 45 mn - 1h, very dynamic.
The rules are the same as Attika.
The french version will be released around march, not yet defined for the other countries.

https://www.facebook.com/1503467289887722/posts/211131543243...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have hoped for an expansion and/or some gameplay changes. Attika had a lot going for it. I personally liked the "theme/look", I enjoyed how simple it was to play and teach, and I liked the mechanics.

However, it had too much luck. Players who draw better tiles can build faster and cheaper, and since "build all your tiles" is one of the two victory conditions, they will likely win. The last (2P) game we played, it was pretty clear who was going to win halfway through the game. A good example of the luck is when a player draws their home city as their first black tile. That is a massive advantage, and that player won the game by a long shot.

Neat game, but I would have hoped for more depth, variety/options, or victory-conditions. I'll be crossing my fingers for this game to do well and therefore potentially receive more content in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mullin
United States
Budd Lake
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
However, it had too much luck.

In the Attika Strategy Forum, fans of the game talk about the strategic need to pressure opponents into inefficient moves. Luck mitigation tactics are an important component of playing well. Some people are going to like that luck management aspect, and some won't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
U.S. Telegraph now has its own listing in the BGG database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:

For my own understanding, it got its own listing based on what part of the (I-don't-even-know-what-to-call-it) policy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see this released/available at Origins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Mattila
Sweden
Solna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B Factor wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:

For my own understanding, it got its own listing based on what part of the (I-don't-even-know-what-to-call-it) policy?

What has changed are some building costs. Harbor and Fort still require four resources but not a three-of-a-kind anymore. Silver Mine and Vineyard have the exact same cost I think. There may be others too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.