15 Posts

Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Where to start as solo player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gianluca Spessato
msg tools
mbmb
Exactly like the subject. The game arrived today, and I would start a scenario with only a map (space problems, for now...), and I would start with one not easy and very interesting, or with one that, in your opinion, is the best for a good appreciation and understanding of the game. What are your proposals? Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do recommend going through the training scenarios, even if they are short and not as interesting as the bigger ones. They give you a good feel for the mechanics and you can learn the rules in smaller pieces. The game's mechanics are different than most other similar wargames on the subject and so it helps to play the smaller scenarios first to get a feel for how it plays out.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien T
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are multiple ways to learn the game and they are described at the beginning of the playbook.

I used myself the 'Training Scenario Method' and it went smoothly meeple. Game elements are gradually integrated thru 4 scenarios.

You can find videos of the first 3 scenarios in the video section of the game.

Edit: The game designer Sal is very quick and resourceful when have questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Spessato
msg tools
mbmb
I will do that, then...the four training scenarios. Thank you again for the quick answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hieronymus62 wrote:
Exactly like the subject. The game arrived today, and I would start a scenario with only a map (space problems, for now...)

The first and last training scenarios use both maps but there's no way around that.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tofufury wrote:
I too are a new solo player, planning on starting january 1st with training scenarios. Are the rulebook over in the files section, the one with only training scenario rules worth it fir 2nd ed? Also, are there other stuff wirth printing out?

I recommend you use the 2nd edition Playbook and Rulebook for learning the games. The file you mentioned would probably work, but it is out of date. I should probably delete it.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Butler
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: the map. I don't have a lot of space either, and with my wife's cat, I found playing it on Vassal helps. The Vassal module isn't perfect. I have found some setup issues, which makes me wonder if the setup used is based on 1st edition rules (I have 2nd edition). But I can save my games without leaving the giant map somewhere for the cat to ruin.

The downside is that you can't see the "big picture", so to speak. Sometimes I forget about some unit that is off by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The 2nd edition Playbook is a thing of beauty.

I had a dickens of a time learning the general feel of Hex and Counter wargames despite a real want to learn. Unconditional Surrender: Case Blue from C3i was one of the games that taught me the basics and I’ve been itching to get the whole thing since then.

The tutorial scenarios in the rule book are fantastic. Better than learning through the magazine game. Counter Attack has a nice play through video of the Tutorial scenarios on YouTube if you want a guide.

This might be heresy, but this game might be the ultimate gateway game to real wargames. Those tutorials are perfect for teaching anyone the basics, and this game will let you dive as deep as you want.

Can a 50 hour ETO monster also be a gateway game?

YES.

This thing is special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Christopher. I'm happy the USCB and USE helped you break into our little corner of the gaming hobby.

Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Spessato
msg tools
mbmb
ETO? What this acronym means?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
hieronymus62 wrote:
ETO? What this acronym means?

European Theater of Operation; PTO is for Pacific
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Spessato
msg tools
mbmb
Ah, thank you! I was familiar with USE...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
markmc wrote:
hieronymus62 wrote:
Exactly like the subject. The game arrived today, and I would start a scenario with only a map (space problems, for now...)

The first and last training scenarios use both maps but there's no way around that.

Mark

Yes - but just fold the maps and you’re good to go. You don’t need weather or the turn track or any of the corner map things.

The mounted boards are nice but the paper maps are best for the scenarios, I think - just fold away the top and bottom and sides, push the two together and you can play it on what amounts to a 22x17 or so inch map.

I’ve learned that plexiglass and paper maps rule the roost for a reason with wargames. They make them easier to play and are more versatile.

svasta wrote:
Thank you, Christopher. I'm happy the USCB and USE helped you break into our little corner of the gaming hobby.

Sal

Thank you! I’m much farther along now than I was when USCB came out a few years back, but this game finally became available without moving earth to get it! It’s amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.