John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i believe i either read that somewhere, or saw it on one of the tutorial videos...if so, can that option be turned off?

we tend to get interrupted quite often when playing games, and don't want to bother having to keep "saving, and the re-loading" over and over again...but at the same time don't want to be penalized (by our own game)(smile) because we're playing at our own pace...

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
i believe i either read that somewhere, or saw it on one of the tutorial videos...if so, can that option be turned off?

we tend to get interrupted quite often when playing games, and don't want to bother having to keep "saving, and the re-loading" over and over again...but at the same time don't want to be penalized (by our own game)(smile) because we're playing at our own pace...

thanks...

It makes it more difficult, if takes you too long to solve the mystery, but only by counting the actual game rounds, not real time. So don't worry, take as much as you need
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry
Germany
Herten
NRW
flag msg tools
09.05.2011 - 11.26.2018 / We miss you, Ivy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you usually are on a time limit storywise.
Simply put, there's something going on behind the scenes all the time and you just don't have all the time in the world to fix, stop or right whatever or whomever you are there for. Should the investigators walk back and forth without making much progress, the plot still can and bad things might pile up against the players.

The game is about surviving enormous threats against the odds, and time just isn't your friend here. Which cannot be turned off in the options, to answer your question.
Reloading to that matter, isn't an option either. You can save & quit to take a break, but as far as I know MoM doesn't keep your save around after you resumed it. If you quit without saving then, that's it for your run.

However, no matter how relaxed you are usually playing, to achieve nothing at all would require you to simply walk back and forth during your turns, since you are normally always moving toward at least one target or clue.
If you are really just playing slowly in real time, you have nothing to fear from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherlock Holmes
msg tools
mb
Yes.

If you spend time exploring every nook and cranny of the scenario, that will make the game harder because you are spending your turns exploring. The app kind of wants us too have a balance between exploring just enough while still handling the imminent threat at hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran a scenario to test this, just kept passing turns. It was bad. Real bad. Complete the investigation asap if you want to live. Actual time does not matter as they already said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its not passage of time, its how many end turns. You could leave your game on for 3 weeks, not passing the turn and nothing would change.

But if you waste turns moving around, searching tokens and failing tests. The more turns you end, the closer you come to bad mythos juju.

Basically when you end a turn and the mythos event says "You have a feeling that you're running out of time" in some way or another. It means that Mythos events have stepped up a notch (usually to the highest level). This is because you have taken longer than the app expects you should have.

I believe Valkyrie emulates the official game in its mythos events and it has the following Mythos event catagories.

Flavour Mythos - Put in when nothing spooky is happening, just flavour text. "You hear a car door bang in the distance, no effect"
Help Mythos - A mythos event that helps you, recover some San, become focused, whatever.
Minor Mythos - The normal mythos, usually have to make an easy test. Turns on after a few turns.
Major Mythos - Half way through the game, usually have to make a moderate test.
Deadly Mythos - Normally proceeded by a warning about how time is running out, hard tests designed to wear your party down in a short space of time.

To answer your question, no it can't be turned off. The difficulty is hard coded into the scenario (the star rating).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i still think, that once someone has purchased the game that they should have the option of turning this "off" if they choose to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
i still think, that once someone has purchased the game that they should have the option of turning this "off" if they choose to...

I disagree, mythos events add a lot of the horror to the game. There are better ways to make the game easier.

They could add a sliding difficulty bar, which would maybe push up the amount of turns between mythos levels.

So for example a 4 start scenario has Major Mythos turning on at 10 turns and Deadly at 15, the slider at the easiest level could makyeb make that 15 for Major and 20 for deadly. Thus giving players an extra 5 turns of less impactful Mythos events to slowly progress.

I do think that the "ticking clock" is a finite balance, and a scenario can seem boring if its too easy. Mansions of Madness is not a complex game, its a game about tension and story telling.

Also the Lovecraft world of nasties, is not at all easy. You should expect to fail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scrubbless wrote:
John_VW wrote:

I disagree, mythos events add a lot of the horror to the game. There are better ways to make the game easier.

They could add a sliding difficulty bar, which would maybe push up the mount of turns between mythos levels.

So for example a 4 start scenario has Major Mythos turning on at 10 turns and Deadly at 15, the slider at the easiest level could makyeb make that 15 for Major and 20 for deadly. Thus giving players an extra 5 turns of less impactful Mythos events to slowly progress.

I do think that the "ticking clock" is a finite balance, and a scenario can seem boring if its too easy. Mansions of Madness is not a complex game, its a game about tension and story telling.

Also the Lovecraft world of nasties, is not at all easy. You should expect to fail!
and it's fine that you feel this way, but to me i see nothing wrong with the person who paid for the game having the option of deciding if this should be on/off (it would be a very very simple task in the app)...that's all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was just saying there are better ways of making the game easier than just simple chopping out a chunk of the core game.

What is this place if not a forum for opinions?

You could also say that, horror checks make the game hard. So maybe they should have an option to turn them off. Or that puzzles are hard, so maybe they should have a tick box that turns all puzzles to dice rolls.

Where do you draw the line with tick boxes, that remove content?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each extra turn can be more critical.

That being said: I found the game more relaxing and fun when playing with 3 characters instead of 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
Each extra turn can be more critical.

That being said: I found the game more relaxing and fun when playing with 3 characters instead of 2.

The game is a bit easier, with every extra investigator you add. Monsters are stronger and sometimes additional things happen. But in general, it scales to the easier side with more players.

When I play 2 player with my Wife we tend to both pick and control 2 characters.

Though with a friend (we prefer a challenge) we play 2 player games, because they are quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you want to make the time limit more generous, you can simply increase the number of actions you can take per turn. It effectively lets you get more done, therefore 'extending the time limit'.

Or, if you want, just ignore the mythos events. It'll make the game quite a bit easier, of course, but until there's a game-ending one, you could just ignore them or simply cap the damage they do at 1 or somesuch. The wonderful thing about board games is that you can do what you want; the app can't just 'shut down' what you want to do.

That being said, it is important that the game has a time limit, or else every scenario simply becomes 'look at everything and sometimes shotgun a pesky monster'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

What exactly would be switching off? The scenario in the background is not on "pause" just becasue you're wandering around...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm really surprised to read these suggestions to "switch off" or "ignore" the mythos events ...

If you know how the scenarios work, then you know that's impossible. The mythos events provide the structure of the scenario. Certain events will be triggered at certain points in the game, and you'll have to react to that. Respond appropriately, and you'll win. If not, you'll lose. Take away the mythos, and you'll just keep wandering around the mansion forever ...

And even more importantly, what's the point of playing a horror game with no horror events happening? The whole point of the mythos phase is to provide a balanced game. Compare it to playing a football match with only 1 team on the pitch. Easy win? Definitely. Fun? Unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
There is a page of arguments about nothing it seems to me.

The answer to the OP is NO. The app does not determine if you are taking to long or not. It has no timer. It doesn't care. You can play at whatever pace you want. I've played a game over several weeks - no one but the batteries care.

The game DOES have a turn timer (the more turns you take the harder the game gets) but this is exactly like every other Arkham horror boardgame out there. The 'app' is no influencing this at all. First edition (which had no app) also had turn limits.

So in short you can play at your own pace and not worry about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
scrubbless wrote:
John_VW wrote:

They could add a sliding difficulty bar, which would maybe push up the mount of turns between mythos levels.

and it's fine that you feel this way, but to me i see nothing wrong with the person who paid for the game having the option of deciding if this should be on/off (it would be a very very simple task in the app)...that's all...

This would completely wreck any game balance that the designers included for the game. Sometimes the entire goal is essentially a 'beat-the-clock' sort of story. Other times, the game will push you onto a new board or into a new setting after so much time passes.

The entire game is meant to be a slow swirl down the drain of insanity. The more trauma you sustain the more difficult the scenario can become. Likewise, if there is no mechanism to keep you moving at a brisk pace, you could easily hoard items and spells and stomp your way through the objective with no pressure whatsoever.

There needs to be an opponent. In this game, that opponent is (mostly) time and action efficiency. Without them, it would be a different game and require entirely different mythos and scenario designs.

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
msg tools
soakman wrote:
John_VW wrote:
scrubbless wrote:
John_VW wrote:

This would completely wreck any game balance that the designers included for the game. Sometimes the entire goal is essentially a 'beat-the-clock' sort of story. Other times, the game will push you onto a new board or into a new setting after so much time passes.

The entire game is meant to be a slow swirl down the drain of insanity. The more trauma you sustain the more difficult the scenario can become. Likewise, if there is no mechanism to keep you moving at a brisk pace, you could easily hoard items and spells and stomp your way through the objective with no pressure whatsoever.

There needs to be an opponent. In this game, that opponent is (mostly) time and action efficiency. Without them, it would be a different game and require entirely different mythos and scenario designs.

Just my 2 cents.

While I agree that is an integral part and I personally would not change the difficulty, you never win in the lovecraft world, there are even scenario's where you "win" but the end dialog has you "not winning"!

However, it is a game at the end of the day, and has no difficulty slider. Mythos is a large factor that dictates difficulty. I don't think adding a few turns to make the game a little easier is much of a problem (or even having a switch to turn on "Help Mythos" so that randomly some are helpful, instead of bad). Some people find it very frustrating taking deadly major/mythos and going insane (with a fail mission condition) when they are so very close to winning.

1-3 turns can be all that is between winning and losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.