Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Post
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister is a photographer/performance artist, her husband is a Chef. They love games. Games they have & love: Acquire, Dominion, Power Grid. He also loved Glory to Rome when I taught him.

It'd be great to get them something with a theme that would fit one of their professions (which awesome-ly are jobs they love).

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Edit:
- $20-$30 range (including shipping, amazon=best)
- Not exclusively 2 player, but works ok->great with 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In my experience it's never good to gift games to gamers. They know what they like/want, and they usually get them for themselves.

So, my suggestion is a Board Gaming Calendar to fit their love of board games as well as your sister's profession.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/scott-king/2018-gaming-calendar/cal...

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Post
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion!

Fortunately (unfortunately?) I'm typically their source for new games, so they're always asking me for recommendations or requesting games for gifts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keary Quigley
United States
Washington
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Based on food, card drafting, and management you see in some of the games you mentioned, Sushi Go! might be a good fit as it fits a wide array of player types and the price is right..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keary Quigley
United States
Washington
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

In my experience it's never good to gift games to gamers. They know what they like/want, and they usually get them for themselves.

So, my suggestion is a Board Gaming Calendar to fit their love of board games as well as your sister's profession.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/scott-king/2018-gaming-calendar/cal...

~V

I agree and disagree at the same time. It is a very risky present to buy gamers games without some serious insight to what they like to play. Having seen what they enjoy so far and adding a thematic touch however isn’t a bad idea so long as you do your homework on buying a good game and consider the recipients existing collection. I think the o.p. is on the right track and keeping the price tag small makes the risk less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mbmb
If he loved Glory to Rome, maybe consider Mottainai?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kitchen rush?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
How about the new Bob Ross: Art of Chill Game that might fit the photographer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Post
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Done! Thanks Calvin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonathanpost wrote:
... Games they have & love: Acquire, Dominion, Power Grid.

...It'd be great to get them something with a theme that would fit one of their professions (which awesome-ly are jobs they love).

I don't see how those favorites necessarily tie in to the professions, so I wouldn't worry so much about the professions for something new. I get a better picture about them from those game titles than I do from the job titles.

(but that doesn't mean you can't try)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.