Subject: a couple of rules clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook for Evolution (base game 2nd edition) is really clearly written but very short (I mean the amount of text in it, not the number of pages), and it seems to me some things that should have been clearly spelled out weren't clearly spelled out. I think I still know how they should work, but I better check here just in case.

1. The rulebooks says you keep cards you don't spend for the next round, but it doesn't say if you can have an unlimited number of cards in your hand or if there is a hand size limit, so I'm presuming it's unlimited, correct ?

2. The rulebook says several times "if the trait deck needs to be reshuffled", but doesn't say why and when you should need to do that. Since there's no point in shuffling what's already been shuffled at the beginning of the game (the trait deck), I believe they mean the DISCARDED cards, that is when the deck of trait cards runs out, you're supposed to shuffle the discarded cards and place them face down as the new deck (as in most card games). And then do whatever you're supposed to do when "if the trait deck needs to be reshuffled". Correct ?

3. The rulebook clearly states the order of play for most cases, but not in one (as far as I can see). When several players have species (maybe even several each) with powers that are activated "before the food cards are revealed" (like Long Neck), what is the order of their activation, that is which players get to go first ? I presume the same order as the rest of the game (from First Player clockwise) ?
The rulebook states a player chooses the order among his/her own species, but nothing about the order among players.

As for Climate and Flight expansions, there's several similar small issues with rules that aren't clearly spelled out but I can presume how they should work.

4. Now there's one thing I don't fully understand, concerning Fat Tissue :
"This species may place food on the Fat Tissue trait card once it has taken food equal to its Population."
If a species is hungry the food must go on the species board. If it's not hungry you can't feed it.
So the only time when Fat Tissue will get food on it is if a nearly fed species feeds and gets excess food - let's say it needs 1 food, it gets 2 due to Foraging, so the excess 1 goes to Fat Tissue, and now it's fed and can't eat any more - is this correct ?
Is there any way to use Fat Tissue by your own choice ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Correct, there's no hand limit.

2. Correct, the discard pile/deck only needs to be reshuffled if it runs out on the last round.

3. Usually it doesn't matter for these powers, but if there's a conflict always start with the first player token.

4. No, Fat Tissue creates an exception where a species may not be Hungry, but can continue to eat normally above their population up to the limit of their body size. This is one (of several) case where the Trait rules supersede the general rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:

3. The rulebook clearly states the order of play for most cases, but not in one (as far as I can see). When several players have species (maybe even several each) with powers that are activated "before the food cards are revealed" (like Long Neck), what is the order of their activation, that is which players get to go first ?

Just to make sure: You're not eating from the water hole as long neck, but from the food bank, right?

You might want to look at videos how to play, i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aZ5HwWPWY0 sometimes I find videos to be a good alternative to the manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
OFFICIAL ANSWERS:

runtsta wrote:
1. Correct, there's no hand limit.

2. Correct, the discard pile/deck only needs to be reshuffled if it runs out on the last round.

3. Usually it doesn't matter for these powers, but if there's a conflict always start with the first player token.

4. No, Fat Tissue creates an exception where a species may not be Hungry, but can continue to eat normally above their population up to the limit of their body size. This is one (of several) case where the Trait rules supersede the general rules.

#3 The player order never matters in Evolution or CLIMATE. It can matter in Flight, which is why the Flight rules state that you go in player order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valsimot8645653 wrote:
Just to make sure: You're not eating from the water hole as long neck, but from the food bank, right?

Yes. But I thought there might be some trait where the order mattered, if there is a finite supply of food. Theoretically even the food bank could run out of food tokens, so then order would matter, no ?

domcrap wrote:
#3 The player order never matters in Evolution or CLIMATE. It can matter in Flight, which is why the Flight rules state that you go in player order.

What if the food bank runs out of food tokens ? The order in which players get to use their Long Necks would matter then, wouldn't it ?
In any case I'm the kind of guy who likes firm clearly spelled out rules for all cases, even if they won't come into being. So First player -> clockwise in ALL cases. Check.

runtsta wrote:

I'm still not completely clear on this. When you say eat normally, do you mean :

a) even though it is not Hungry, you can choose to normally feed that species when your turn comes by taking a plant food token from the watering hole (or by attacking another species if your species is a predator), and placing it on the Fat Tissue card (which would be contrary to the normal rule of only feeding Hungry species)

b) you can't feed it that way, but you can feed it as a consequence of other traits (Scavenger or Cooperation for example) ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yes. But I thought there might be some trait where the order mattered, if there is a finite supply of food. Theoretically even the food bank could run out of food tokens, so then order would matter, no ?

The food bank never runs out of tokens.
If it does... use substitutes. I purchased a cheap set of plastic money from Walmart and threw in the box. When cardboard tokens run low, players replace the tokens in their food bag with coins... 5 tokens with a nickel... 10 tokens with a dime... 25 tokens with a quarter.
Or as an option, have EVERY player remove an equal number of tokens from their food bags and add to the food bank.

Quote:
domcrap wrote:

What if the food bank runs out of food tokens ? The order in which players get to use their Long Necks would matter then, wouldn't it ?
In any case I'm the kind of guy who likes firm clearly spelled out rules for all cases, even if they won't come into being. So First player -> clockwise in ALL cases. Check.

Turn order NEVER matters, unless playing Flight! See Dominic's answer above.
And it only matters in Flight! when dealing with the cliff...

Quote:
runtsta wrote:

I'm still not completely clear on this. When you say eat normally, do you mean :

a) even though it is not Hungry, you can choose to normally feed that species when your turn comes by taking a plant food token from the watering hole (or by attacking another species if your species is a predator), and placing it on the Fat Tissue card (which would be contrary to the normal rule of only feeding Hungry species)

b) you can't feed it that way, but you can feed it as a consequence of other traits (Scavenger or Cooperation for example) ?

The answer is a.
When it is your feeding phase and you have a species with Fat Tissue that has not maxed out the food tokens on the card, you may choose to feed that species again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veljko Dobrijevic
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoutdad wrote:
The answer is a.
When it is your feeding phase and you have a species with Fat Tissue that has not maxed out the food tokens on the card, you may choose to feed that species again.

I see. But that's only if you have another species that is Hungry, because otherwise you will be skipped over in the Feeding phase ?
And theoretically, if you have enough Fat Tissue cards, you could use a POP1/BODYSIZE6 species to eat 7 food each round if you discard the F. T. card and replace it with the new one, putting the tokens from the discarded card into your bag ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enkidu_of_Abydos wrote:
Scoutdad wrote:
The answer is a.

I see. But that's only if you have another species that is Hungry, because otherwise you will be skipped over in the Feeding phase ?
And theoretically, if you have enough Fat Tissue cards, you could use a POP1/BODYSIZE6 species to eat 7 food each round if you discard the F. T. card and replace it with the new one, putting the tokens from the discarded card into your bag ?

No. You are never 'skipped' during the feeding phase. It still comes to you in sequence. You may not have an species able to feed - but technically it's still 'your feeding phase'.
If all your species are full - or not hungry, and it's your turn to eat, and you have a species with fat tissue that has not maxed out food tokens on the card, then yes - you can still feed that species.

And yes to the second. It you have extra Fat Tissue cards, you could use this tactic to rapidly add food tokens to your food bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.