Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefanie
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,
Any idea if, when and how often expansions for this game will be available?

Thanks much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
gamefans wrote:
Hi,
Any idea if, when and how often expansions for this game will be available?

Thanks much!

Considering this game has only just been released within the last few weeks, anything about expansions will be pure speculation.

In general, I would imagine the game will need to be a commercial success before FFG decide to release an expansion for it.

There has been comments (by fans) that they might expect that the basic game system will be released but in an entirely new setting (such as Call of Cthulhu, Legend of the Five Rings, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.) If so, then we might not get any Dragonholt expansions but new games set in different worlds.

Currently if you look on the FFG site, Legacy of Dragonholt is listed under the Runebound product line. This might suggest that there will be further expansions set in the Runebound universe.

If you look at the game itself then you will see its product code is ORA01. The opening description on the FFG page is "The first game to use the Oracle system". This might suggest that while there might be expansions then they may be set in different product lines/settings.

So, who knows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
xris wrote:
There has been comments (by fans) that they might expect that the basic game system will be released but in an entirely new setting (such as Call of Cthulhu, Legend of the Five Rings, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.)

While I expect this is true, I would LOVE a series of Terrinoth-based games, rather than actual "expansions". (e.g. "Legacy of Nerekhall", "The Arshan Chronicles", etc).

- Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see this getting any expansions just different complete stories and settings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
JavaGammer wrote:
I don't see this getting any expansions just different complete stories and settings.

I think that makes the most sense for the format. I have a hard time believing there will not be a Star Wars version (which I would welcome), considering this is FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boyd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
While I am confident they will make different ports of this "game" model, I have no doubt that FFG will make new story books (aka expansions) for this. From my limited experiences with FFG and the products I currently own from FFG, I have a hard time believing they won't release new story books (aka expansions) for Legacy of Dragonholt.

I just finished the first book and am in the town of Dragonholt and the "game" is very smooth and was quite enjoyable. It uses a very similar model as a CYOA book does and CYOA books are very popular among a certain following.

As such, and with the assumed relatively low cost to produce (not to be confused with development) this kind of product, this is cash on the table for FFG.. with no end in sight due to the formatting of the "game".

After my playthrough of the first book, I'm already excited for what the future holds beyond the core game quests/books.

(2-cents deposited)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jboyd33 wrote:
While I am confident they will make different ports of this "game" model, I have no doubt that FFG will make new story books (aka expansions) for this. From my limited experiences with FFG and the products I currently own from FFG, I have a hard time believing they won't release new story books (aka expansions) for Legacy of Dragonholt.

I just finished the first book and am in the town of Dragonholt and the "game" is very smooth and was quite enjoyable. It uses a very similar model as a CYOA book does and CYOA books are very popular among a certain following.

As such, and with the assumed relatively low cost to produce (not to be confused with development) this kind of product, this is cash on the table for FFG.. with no end in sight due to the formatting of the "game".

After my playthrough of the first book, I'm already excited for what the future holds beyond the core game quests/books.

(2-cents deposited)

The only possibility I see for expanding Dragonholt would be to offer another several quest books allowing for higher level characters. Another story chained off of the base game. After Completing Dragonholt and leveling up your character (or Skills gained from items) any new quest books would need to compensate for more powerful characters.

If Dragonholt has continued success I could see them doing another setup different so single quest books could be added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
jboyd33 wrote:

(2-cents deposited)

While I hope this is true, the problem I see is that there's little incentive for FFG to create a new Expansion instead of a new stand-alone game (even if it's still in the Runebound setting).

There's very little in the main box that can be carried over for an expansion. Assuming it's not set in Dragonholt again (which I think will be unlikely), you'll need new quest books, a new village book and map, the Letter and Sonia's Diary couldn't be used again, likewise the cards. Unless they call it "Legend of Dragonholt" again, even the rulebook and character sheets wouldn't be reusable.

This leaves the tokens!

In other words, they need to create the entire contents of the existing game if they just produce an "expansion". So they might as well release a stand-alone game based on the Oracle system at full price. That even has the advantage that new players to the game don't need to have the previous version and might generate sales to a wider audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
jboyd33 wrote:

(2-cents deposited)

While I hope this is true, the problem I see is that there's little incentive for FFG to create a new Expansion instead of a new stand-alone game (even if it's still in the Runebound setting).

There's very little in the main box that can be carried over for an expansion. Assuming it's not set in Dragonholt again (which I think will be unlikely), you'll need new quest books, a new village book and map, the Letter and Sonia's Diary couldn't be used again, likewise the cards. Unless they call it "Legend of Dragonholt" again, even the rulebook and character sheets wouldn't be reusable.

This leaves the tokens!

In other words, they need to create the entire contents of the existing game if they just produce an "expansion". So they might as well release a stand-alone game based on the Oracle system at full price. That even has the advantage that new players to the game don't need to have the previous version and might generate sales to a wider audience.

It would be awesome if you could use existing characters in a new book, as though your heroes traveled to X city after leaving Dragonholt. That would be tough though, balancing encounters for both new characters and more experienced/geared up characters in this system. And it wouldn't work going the other way (from X city to Dragonholt), unless they come up with some way to retroactively balance things for stronger heroes.

But an eventual mix of entry level scenarios (like Dragonholt) and some higher level scenarios, for experienced characters who have been through an entry level scenario, is a possibility. That's probably a long ways off though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gingras
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FFG will create more stories with the same system used in LoD, I'm sure of it! We'll get more Runebound stuff and definitely some Arkham Horror stuff. Hopefully they'll publish some Star Wars and LOTR stuff, but that could get tricky.

I'm willing to bet they're already work8ng on another Runebound project and and Arkham one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I think expansions will follow. Just becuase it is FFG. That's why I sold my MoM 2nd. Still have D2nd, but can only afford 2 FFG Collectons, because of space.

What I also think is that fan-based scenarios will appear, based on the material we already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wyman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Speculation: There will almost certainly never be an expansion in the traditional sense of the phrase. This is the first game in the Oracle series aand future games in the series will be stand alone as well.

What may happen is the ability to carry over certain plot points. Like when starting Game 2 of the Oracle series if you have marked O6 on your legacy of Dragonholt tracking sheet then mark O6 on your Game 2 tracking sheet. This would increase FFG’s development costs but would provide a cool ‘choices matter’ way of carrying over important events story to story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefanie
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the speculation. We are having so much fun with this game that I'd be interested in more. More of this story and/or more of it through another story/theme. Happy Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schellenberg
Canada
Olds
Alberta
flag msg tools
I just finished my first run through of this campaign and cant wait to start over and try my best to do better the second time around. So I started looking at the character creation book and noticed that in one of the example portions they talk about Mariam the NPC. In which they state that they chose her race because "It would not be unusual for her to show up in any given village or city you travel to". Now since Dragonholt is the village in this campaign. I'm hoping this is a clue that there will be future "expansions" (for lack of a better word) in which you might travel to a different city or village and run into her again. It's a stretch, but its a glimmer of hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schellenberg
Canada
Olds
Alberta
flag msg tools
Just finished playing through a second time and managed (by the skin of my teeth) to get the "Hopeful" ending and the entry before the final one reads at the bottom "Mark Story Point (no spoiler) and then read Entry (such and such)" which is the last entry of the campaign... so that right there tells me that choices do matter and whatever happens in this Campaign will affect the next one they produce. Because why would there be a story point to mark at the end of the campaign if those choices don't effect thee future... Which instantly made me excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.