Dave
msg tools
mb
d10-1 This is a new variant called Formaggio Plus.

I have V:EE and T:EE, so I missed out on the Formaggio and Arboriculture modules. Thankfully, Jamey posted the files on the Stonemaier Games site. I wanted to keep a mix of the cheese, tomatoes, and olive oil options without necessarily playing a morale game (which is part of Arboriculture). The cask in Arboriculture is better served, in my opinion, as a structure card in T:EE. It struck me that most of Formaggio and Arboriculture could be combined on a single player add-on board. Using Jamey's files and spending a significant amount of time hacking together bits in a photo editing program, I kitbashed the following:

I used the Formaggio player board as the base and added the tomato and olive oil bits from Arboriculture. Changes?

The tomato and olive oil harvesting/making mechanics remain. I've added extra virgin olive oil to add an extra decision about oil making. Now, tomato sauce and olive oil reward the same points. Extra virgin olive oil requires two olive tokens to make and rewards an extra point when sold in winter or added to an order. The Warehouse stores 1 olive oil or 1 extra virgin olive oil but not both at the same time.

Cask is now a structure card from T:EE, so I did not bring it over from the original Arboriculture board.

Morale is removed. If you want the full Arboriculture experience, you should use the original board.

Apples removed (see Morale).

I moved the cheese cellar part of the image to the left of the board to make room for the tomato sauce and olive oil storage. On the Arboriculture board, those items are in separate warehouse compartments. To save much needed space, I combined them into one. There is no functional gameplay difference in having them in one versus two compartments.

Ultimately, I wanted to add touches of Arboriculture to Formaggio without adding two extra player boards. The main player board, the structure board (from T:EE), and one more add-on board is about the limit before the combined player boards get too unwieldy. This Formaggio Plus board combines what I consider the best bits of Arboriculture onto a single Formaggio-sized board.

Print out the new Formaggio Plus board, glue it on some cardstock and give it a try. Please let me know what you think.

Tomato and olive cards and card backs are below (images are from Stonemaier Games--all I did was put them on sheets for easier home printing). For cards, I cut out the front and back and add a blank in the middle. I put all three in a sleeve. It has a similar (but not quite identical) heft to an official card.

d10-2 Below, in case people want everything, I've added an additional PnP image for all the Tuscany expansion boards on a single board (print in landscape mode). It includes Formaggio Plus, Structures, and Aboriculture (the morale and apples I left off earlier). I'm including the front of the apple orchard cards too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Formaggio Plus: a single player board for Formaggio and bits of Arboriculture
Nice work on the board. Maybe you could make a single image that includes something like the little extended board from T-EE so that you would only have a base board + extension. There's really "not much" to the T-EE extension, just two spots for cards.

Anyway, this looks really interesting. I'm going to have to borrow a copy of Tuscany from a fellow CABS member so I can try this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
msg tools
mb
tylergingrich wrote:
so that you would only have a base board + extension.

Done as requested. I added the morale and apple stuff from Arboriculture (that I originally left off) in case people want to use those features.

The new image (at the bottom of the original post) has Formaggio Plus, Structures, and Arboriculture. You may have noticed that the illustrations on the original expansion boards connected seemlessly to the base board. Structures, however, goes to the left of the base board and Formaggio/Arboriculture go to the right. In order to keep them all on one board, I had to put an arbitrary vine border to separate the Structures and Morale/Apple section. Because I scanned the Structures image, the colors don't match with Jamey's art that he posted for Formaggio/Arboriculture. It's too time consuming for me to color match, unless Jamey wants to post all the original art (and I'm sure he has better things to do). Hopefully the vine border keeps the two sections from clashing too badly.

I left some bleed in the image when you cut it out. Again, because I scanned the Structures board, it doesn't have bleed like Jamey's original art. I had to build out the top of that section in order to make it the same size as the Formaggio board.

I changed the morale art a little because I don't like the original Arboriculture board. I used the heart motif throughout and faded the heart image as workers got less morale.

You'll also notice the kite flyers are gone. Sorry. I couldn't get that to work on the structures background. Instead, there's a big barrel of mystery beverage perched randomly near the top of a hill for no reason whatsoever.

Hope this is useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno C.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You did an excellent job! Will try this variant ASAP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Landry wrote:
d10-1 This is a new variant called Formaggio Plus.

I have V:EE and T:EE, so I missed out on the Formaggio and Arboriculture modules. Thankfully, Jamey posted the files on the Stonemaier Games site. I wanted to keep a mix of the cheese, tomatoes, and olive oil options without necessarily playing a morale game (which is part of Arboriculture). The cask in Arboriculture is better served, in my opinion, as a structure card in T:EE. It struck me that most of Formaggio and Arboriculture could be combined on a single player add-on board. Using Jamey's files and spending a significant amount of time hacking together bits in a photo editing program, I kitbashed the following:

Thank you for this amazing work, your work is fantastic and my entire group loved it with some minor caveats:
-The picture would be perfect if you included a star image in the "make cheese" action space to symbolise the star bonus that the action space gives us on using it.
Also, if you could add a text "Max 4 cows" in the field somewhere, that would be awesome.
-We love the half Aboriculture expansion use with this mat and it is just about perfect except that we did not prefer the "Evo" option and would love to have just the single olive oil in the warehouse as original.

If you can make these changes then the mat would be perfect.
Thanking you early in anticipation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno C.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave,
I translated your board in italian... mind if I can upload it in this thread.

Please let me know.

Byez!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
msg tools
mb
jalwaaa wrote:

Thank you for this amazing work, your work is fantastic and my entire group loved it with some minor caveats:
-The picture would be perfect if you included a star image in the "make cheese" action space to symbolise the star bonus that the action space gives us on using it.
Also, if you could add a text "Max 4 cows" in the field somewhere, that would be awesome.
-We love the half Aboriculture expansion use with this mat and it is just about perfect except that we did not prefer the "Evo" option and would love to have just the single olive oil in the warehouse as original.

Hi. Since you asked nicely, here is an edited player board. Personally, I don't use the star bonus for "Make Cheese" as I feel it makes that action too powerful, but I'm happy to hear if you've had a different experience with it.

I hope this enhances your enjoyment of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
msg tools
mb
pincopanco wrote:
Hi Dave,

Please let me know.

Byez!

Hi. Yes, please do. That would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Landry wrote:
jalwaaa wrote:

Hi. Since you asked nicely, here is an edited player board. Personally, I don't use the star bonus for "Make Cheese" as I feel it makes that action too powerful, but I'm happy to hear if you've had a different experience with it.

I hope this enhances your enjoyment of the game.

Dave, many many thanks for this, it is indeed really very nice & kind of you.

Since you have created this fusion module, we needed some advice from you based on our 2 runthrough's that we did with this. What we noticed was that the filling order strategy becomes way overpowered because now we gain additional victory points from cheese based on its value in the cellar plus additional points through giving away tomato sauce/olive oil with the fill order action. Now since the original game had us add only one of these modules during gameplay, do you suggest we houserule that we can only either add cheese or tomato sauce/olive oil when fulfilling an order and not both? Curious to know your thoughts on it.

Also, curious to know as to why the olive does not sell for 2 victory points as the original module?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno C.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landry wrote:
pincopanco wrote:
Hi Dave,

Please let me know.

Byez!

Hi. Yes, please do. That would be great!

Here you are... thank you!

Traduzione IN ITALIANO della board di FORMAGGIO PLUS di Dave (Landry)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
msg tools
mb
jalwaaa wrote:
Dave, many many thanks for this, it is indeed really very nice & kind of you.

Since you have created this fusion module, we needed some advice from you based on our 2 runthrough's that we did with this. What we noticed was that the filling order strategy becomes way overpowered because now we gain additional victory points from cheese based on its value in the cellar plus additional points through giving away tomato sauce/olive oil with the fill order action. Now since the original game had us add only one of these modules during gameplay, do you suggest we houserule that we can only either add cheese or tomato sauce/olive oil when fulfilling an order and not both? Curious to know your thoughts on it.

Also, curious to know as to why the olive does not sell for 2 victory points as the original module?

Olive oil is 2 points in the original rules. I simply neglected to change that bit from my Formaggio Plus board. If I can find the time, I will correct it for the version I did for you.

I've found the Formaggio Plus board only slightly tilts the incentive towards fulfilling orders. Remember, 'make cheese,' 'make tomato sauce,' and 'make olive oil' each require a worker. Tomato plants and olive trees require workers to get those cards (and that's at the expense of getting an arguably more useful grape vine) and then another action for planting. They take a decent amount of resources (including placing a star on Fromager) to get everything going. They are still a powerful combo, as you note. This is why I removed the 'star' bonus action from 'make cheese' and changed the olive oil scoring in the Formaggio Plus board in the original post. In my plays, I've found it strikes a decent balance.

With the Rhine Valley expansion just released, we will have to see if Formaggio Plus fits (if at all). Rhine Valley puts the emphasis of the game squarely on fulfilling orders. Based on the cards I've seen in various reviews, my gut tells me Formaggio Plus might lead to a shorter game. This may not be ideal since Rhine Valley seems geared towards engine-building and then spending a few turns enjoying the fruits of that engine. (I do not own Rhine Valley, by the way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Landry wrote:

Olive oil is 2 points in the original rules. I simply neglected to change that bit from my Formaggio Plus board. If I can find the time, I will correct it for the version I did for you.

Much appreciated, that would surely help a lot to keep it consistent with the original board. If i may also request the bracketed text below the "make tomato sauce" & "make olive oil" be removed to make it consistent with the original board. Many many thanks for this. I plan to give this board the proper love it deserves by actually having it print on a 1.5mm thick board by an external gaming website.

Landry wrote:
I've found the Formaggio Plus board only slightly tilts the incentive towards fulfilling orders. Remember, 'make cheese,' 'make tomato sauce,' and 'make olive oil' each require a worker. Tomato plants and olive trees require workers to get those cards (and that's at the expense of getting an arguably more useful grape vine) and then another action for planting. They take a decent amount of resources (including placing a star on Fromager) to get everything going. They are still a powerful combo, as you note. This is why I removed the 'star' bonus action from 'make cheese' and changed the olive oil scoring in the Formaggio Plus board in the original post. In my plays, I've found it strikes a decent balance.

With the Rhine Valley expansion just released, we will have to see if Formaggio Plus fits (if at all). Rhine Valley puts the emphasis of the game squarely on fulfilling orders. Based on the cards I've seen in various reviews, my gut tells me Formaggio Plus might lead to a shorter game. This may not be ideal since Rhine Valley seems geared towards engine-building and then spending a few turns enjoying the fruits of that engine. (I do not own Rhine Valley, by the way.)

What you say makes total sense and it is not fair on our behalf to jump to conclusions after 2 plays only as our results may also be due to sub optimal plays. I am receiving Rhine Valley today and we plan to play with your board quite a few times with and without Rhine Valley. I am very excited and curious to see the results and will happily revert back with our experience on it with your board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Hopple
msg tools
I have created 3D printer models for the cow and storage upgrade tokens. I looked online for similar and was unable to find anything. Now, not only can you print your board and cards, you can also print the tokens proper.

I've never made anything in FreeCAD before, and haven't done any CAD work in years. As such the scale on the two models are wildly different and incorrect.

Cheese Storage upgrade: (6)
- https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2951770
I suggest trying around 15% scale size when printing.

Cow meeple: (18)
- https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2951764
I suggest trying around 2.5x to 3x scale when printing.

They are licensed as free to modify, all I ask is you make said modifications freely available under the same license, as per the terms each item was licensed under.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CntrlFrk wrote:
I have created 3D printer models for the cow and storage upgrade tokens. I looked online for similar and was unable to find anything. Now, not only can you print your board and cards, you can also print the tokens proper.

I've never made anything in FreeCAD before, and haven't done any CAD work in years. As such the scale on the two models are wildly different and incorrect.

Cheese Storage upgrade: (6)
- https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2951770
I suggest trying around 15% scale size when printing.

Cow meeple: (18)
- https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2951764
I suggest trying around 2.5x to 3x scale when printing.

They are licensed as free to modify, all I ask is you make said modifications freely available under the same license, as per the terms each item was licensed under.

Now that is worth an avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.