Andrew Chang
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've just started playing Arcadia Quest, but had some queries about when the monsters get to attack.

Scenario 1

I have a ranged character (say Maya), who is standing behind 2 of their teammates (creating a blocked space for the monster but only a full space for the character). If Maya attacks a monster with a ranged weapon, what does the monster do?

From my reading of the rules, the monster would not be able to perform it's payback reaction and attack the character which attacked them as the space between the characters is blocked (so they could not move towards Maya to attack) and can't shoot Maya with a ranged weapon as the space in front of them is blocked.

In effect, the monster can't attack. All they could do is move and flee. Is this correct?

I would have though that the monsters being attacked would either flee or attack one of the other characters who are blocking?

Scenario 2

There are two monsters in the same square or close to each other. If I attack one of the monsters, from my understanding, only the monster which is being attacked gets to react and attack. The other monsters who are close do nothing. Is this correct?

This does not seem to make sense to me, I would think that all the other monsters which are close should also be able to attack. This would make attacking a group of monsters a lot more dangerous. As it currently stands, there does not seem to be a large risk in attacking multiple monsters if only the monster which is being attacked gets to fight back.

Scenario 3

A character is close to a monster (who they have just been attacking), their cards are all exhausted.

From my understanding, that character can rest (mid battle) and get all their cards unexhausted. As resting does not count as an move or an attack so no guards react or attack. Is this correct?

Again, I would think that he monster would take this opportunity to attack, and thematically it seems odd that a character can rest mid battle to have their weapons unexhausted.

Are my reading of the rules incorrect?

Your wisdom is much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 1:
You are correct. The monster can only move because its line of sight is blocked. It should be noted that if there are any close monsters to Maya, then they would get an Guard Reaction attack on Maya.

Scenario 2
Correct again. If a hero attacks a close monster then other close monsters do not get to make a Guard Reaction attack. It does seem a little strange. However, rulebook says the Hero fends off other close monster attacks.

Scenario 3
Incorrect. On your turn you can either Activate a Hero OR Rest the entire Guild. You cannot Rest in the middle of an Activation. The monster would get a Guard Reaction attack. Then on the player's next turn he can rest the guild and unexhaust all Hero cards, reorg items and resurrect Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chang
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response Eric,

Perhaps in my scenario 3 I was not clear. My character was actively attacking the monster (but has now exhausted all of their weapons). I rested on my next turn (even though I was still next to the monster).

From my understanding, that’s ok, and the monster will not react and attack me. On my next turn, I could activate the character again and attack. It seems odd to me that part way through a fight (lasting multiple turns), the hero can just rest and not worry about being attacked from a monster (just other players).

What I don’t really understand is why the rules have the other monsters just stand around while their friends get attacked. I would think it makes more sense that all monsters who are close would be able to perform a payback reaction.

In my scenario, i was happily attacking a monster from a distance (after blocking the square to prevent them attacking my character), and all the other monsters who were close (but not being attacked), just stood around and let their friends be picked off one by one.

Strange, but I guess that’s the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Applefiend wrote:
Thanks for the response Eric,

Perhaps in my scenario 3 I was not clear. My character was actively attacking the monster (but has now exhausted all of their weapons). I rested on my next turn (even though I was still next to the monster).

From my understanding, that’s ok, and the monster will not react and attack me. On my next turn, I could activate the character again and attack. It seems odd to me that part way through a fight (lasting multiple turns), the hero can just rest and not worry about being attacked from a monster (just other players).

I think "rest (mid battle)" caused the confusion. It sounds like you fight and rest in the same turn.
Of course you can turn 1: fight - turn 2: rest - turn 3: continue fighting.
And no, monsters won't attack you when resting. The only respond to your actions and if your don't perform any, they won't respond either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chang
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That’s what I thought, but I think it’s odd that the monster would allow you to take a breather, re-arm yourself and then continue the fight later without trying to stop you when you are next to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Applefiend wrote:
Thanks. That’s what I thought, but I think it’s odd that the monster would allow you to take a breather, re-arm yourself and then continue the fight later without trying to stop you when you are next to them.

Agreed, the monsters don't really react how you'd expect, they are rather passive. That's probably why you get graveyard cards (Beyond the Grave) and Brimstone (Inferno) and the hero Greybark (Masmorra crossover) which often lets you control monsters and make them attack your opponents during your turn. It makes the monsters a bit more dynamic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The monsters act indeed as a mostly passive defense to protect the objective.

It is meant for the players to fight each other and stop others from reaching the objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nielson Jugalbot
Canada
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Applefiend wrote:

Scenario 2

There are two monsters in the same square or close to each other. If I attack one of the monsters, from my understanding, only the monster which is being attacked gets to react and attack. The other monsters who are close do nothing. Is this correct?

This does not seem to make sense to me, I would think that all the other monsters which are close should also be able to attack. This would make attacking a group of monsters a lot more dangerous. As it currently stands, there does not seem to be a large risk in attacking multiple monsters if only the monster which is being attacked gets to fight back.

It depends on what form of attack you are performing. If it is ranged, then only the attacked monster gets to perform a payback reaction. If it's a melee attack, the other monster will trigger a guard reaction after resolving the payback reaction of the attacked monster.

From pg. 20 of the rulebook "

When a Hero performs an attack that doesn't target any of the Monsters Close to him, he triggers the Guard Reaction of all Close Monsters. Whether he attacks an enemy Hero anywhere,or a Monster at a distance, if there are any Monsters Close to
him they will seize the opportunity and attack him.

So there is a risk involved when attacking with a melee weapon with multiple monsters around your character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chang
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ako_ay_bisaya wrote:

It depends on what form of attack you are performing. If it is ranged, then only the attacked monster gets to perform a payback reaction. If it's a melee attack, the other monster will trigger a guard reaction after resolving the payback reaction of the attacked monster.

When a Hero performs an attack that doesn't target any of the Monsters Close to him, he triggers the Guard Reaction of all Close Monsters. Whether he attacks an enemy Hero anywhere,or a Monster at a distance, if there are any Monsters Close to

So there is a risk involved when attacking with a melee weapon with multiple monsters around your character.

I was referring to a ranged attack (which confirms that only the attacked monster gets their payback reaction).

How can you perform a melee attack without being close? If you are performing a mêlée attack don't you need to be next to the character? In this case, the monster guard reaction would only occur if you are attacking another player (rather than a monster) right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ako_ay_bisaya wrote:

I believe you have a misinterpretation here. If a hero attacks a monster close to him (with melee or range) he cannot generate a guard reaction from any monster. The rule you cite says "When a Hero performs an attack that doesn't target any of the Monsters Close to him...". Since he is attacking a monster close to him it will not generate a guard reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.