Hide
7 Posts

Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: What are some good asset and skill deck combos? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete R
msg tools
I would like to get some opinions from people with all the expansions what their favorite asset and skill combos are,

I'm very boring and have assets sets A, C and E together and B, D and F together. Skills i struggle with choosing,

Now that the expansions have been out for a bit i would love to hear what your favorite deck combos are for what quest, character etc.

Thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Electro Rush
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some very nice synergies between items don't get me wrong. Problem is there are not many tools to cycle through goods cards.
More often then not I found myself trying to find synergies between random items that game throw at me than thinking about perfect combo that I could potentially achieve in this game.
Having said that a few games ago I had a pretty nice set of two items. One gave me ability for the cost of 3 surges to cause 5 damage to the enemy, another item allowed me to activate ability as if I spent on it 3 surges. That was pretty sick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R
msg tools
Embir wrote:
Problem is there are not many tools to cycle through goods cards.

I hear ya, especially when playing solo most of the initial draw ends up staying there the entire game. Since i didn't get to many replies to the thread i decided to come up with a system/variant for building skill decks and asset decks for solo play.

For the skill deck:
I categorised the skill decks based on loose character archetypes as below;

Strength of the wilds, Vine - Barbarian
Military training, Helmet - Warrior
One with the land, Flower - Ranger

Thirst for travel, Boot - Explorer
Friends in low places, Feather - Scoundrel
Power of profit, Coin - Merchant
High society, Purse - Thief

Favor of the gods, Inscribed circle - Monk
Rune magic, Rune stone - Sorcerer
Song of mountains, Harp - Bard
Battle pilgrim, Bird - Druid

You select 3 of the decks and shuffle to create the skill deck for your game. This means that when you draw skills they more regularly reflect the character you are trying to build. Caveat that the number of decks of a color cannot exceed your skill in that color.

For the Asset deck:
Again, broke the decks down to loose character archetypes as below;
Asset A: Mage
Asset B: Warrior
Asset C: Rogue
Asset D: Merchant
Asset E: Adventurer
Asset F: Balanced
These descriptors are my loose interpretation of what archetype would use the best items in these decks (asset deck F has something in it for everyone and has a lot of co-op items)
You pick two of these decks to shuffle to form the asset deck.
Additionally only 1 goods per market drawn in addition to items and any additional goods drawn replace the existing good.

I find that these guidelines have provided a more focused/ less random game where you can build the character you want to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Mnt
Romania
flag msg tools
@Piddles, nice break down of the skill sets, do you think maybe you can also categorize the heroes based on each archetype? Some are obvious, but i wanted to know who do you think the Bard or the Druid are. I own all expansions, except Caught in the web, and I`m curious which set goes with each hero.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R
msg tools
DraWithPixels wrote:
@Piddles, nice break down of the skill sets, do you think maybe you can also categorize the heroes based on each archetype? Some are obvious, but i wanted to know who do you think the Bard or the Druid are. I own all expansions, except Caught in the web, and I`m curious which set goes with each hero.
Thanks!

The idea behind this categorisation is that you decide what your character is like. I think Nanok would be a good choice for bard singing his way into battle and Elder Mok for druid, taking his power from nature and its mysteries.

However ultimately it's up to you and about building the character you want! Maybe in your story Lord Hawthorne is a amateur musician, singing songs of his own glory, or Laurel was raised to have a strong magical connection with the earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like it as it is, I think it's fun to try to spot (strong) combos and use them.

For instance you can combine Adrenaline and Conversion. Adrenaline let's you draw 2 extra skill cards and ignore your maximum hand size when you enter a battle. Conversion let's you exert to deal 1 magic damage and remove a skull. This gives you 1 damage and prevent 1 wound each combat round while you still have skill cards to exert for other abilities.

Another example is the Dragontooth Hammer and the Fists of Iron. The Fists of Iron let you recast a spent token when you use a charge symbol. The token you get for the Fists of Iron has a charge symbol on one side. The Dragontooth Hammer on the other hand, has a charge symbol on both sides of its token. With a cheap weapon (5 gold) you increase the effect of the Fists of Iron from 50% to 100%.

I know there are far better combos, these are just 2 examples of which I happen to have an image for the SGOYT geeklist (image 1 and image 2). It's just about seeing what's available and get the best out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Tungsten
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wspier wrote:

For instance you can combine Adrenaline and Conversion. Adrenaline let's you draw 2 extra skill cards and ignore your maximum hand size when you enter a battle. Conversion let's you exert to deal 1 magic damage and remove a skull. This gives you 1 damage and prevent 1 wound each combat round while you still have skill cards to exert for other abilities.

I acquired this very combo at endgame recently, along with Ambitious, which increases your hand size. (Ultimately, it only allowed me to survive slightly longer vs. Margath, but would have been pretty fierce versus a lesser foe.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.