Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Need some help with the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm playing the tutorial. The dwarf is the party leader engaged with a rat. Other player is the elf, with no engaged monsters. (I used the dwarf's attack power to engage with her monster, pull it away and kill it.)

There are two face down monsters in the shadows.

It's the enemy phase.

First, the dwarf activates the rat (advance, inflict) so it does one point of damage to the dwarf. I exhaust the rat.

Here's what the rules say about enemy activation:

ENEMY ACTIVATION
After all heroes have activated, they take turns
activating enemies. Starting with the party leader and
proceeding clockwise, each hero activates one readied
enemy. Heroes continue taking turns until all enemies
in play are exhausted.

CHOOSING AN ENEMY
When choosing an enemy to activate, the active hero
must first choose a readied enemy with which he is
engaged, if possible. If he is not engaged with any
enemies, or if all enemies with which he is engaged are
exhausted, he activates a readied enemy in the shadows.
If there are no readied enemies engaged with him or
in the shadows, he skips his turn, and the next hero in
clockwise order activates an enemy

So what happens after my dwarf gets attacked by the rate? Since my elf has no engaged monsters, does she flip over an enemy in the shadows? I did that and got a goblin archer (retreat, inflict, inflict) - the manual says to ignore retreat if the enemy is already in the shadows, so does it then engage with my elf and attack twice?

And after the goblin archer is exhausted, since my dwarf has no active, engaged enemies (rat is exhausted), does he flip over the other face down card that's in the shadows?

Very confused as you can see. I have no idea how or when face down enemies in the shadows reveal themselves. And if enemies come out of the shadows and immediately inflict (thus exhausting themselves) won't the heroes just continue pulling monsters from the shadows on the very first enemy turn?

As the rules says: "If he is not engaged with any
enemies, or if all enemies with which he is engaged are
exhausted, he activates a readied enemy in the shadows."

Any help would be much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the elf flips over one of the monsters and n the shadows and activates it.
Since the goblin archer doesn’t have advance, it doesn’t engage. It just does the actions listed on the card. Since it is already in the shadows, retreat does nothing. Then it inflicts twice.
After the goblin archer activates, the dwarf would then flip over and activate the other monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I see. So the goblin can inflict from the shadows because it has a ranged weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The inflict keyword damages the person activating the monster. It does not need to be engaged with the hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Since the goblins stay in the shadows, that means I can't choose to engage with them with my dwarf right? I have to rely on ranged attacks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Also since they stay in the shadows, and aren't engaged with either hero, who do they damage when they attack? Whoever flipped their card over in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first step on the dwarf’s attack card allows it to engage up to 2 enemies, so it can engage the archers.
When the archers activate next, their retreat will then send them back to the shadows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They damage whoever activates them that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The elf's deadly shot ability allows her to engage with an enemy before attacking. Just curious - what would be the point of that? If she attack an enemy in the shadows I'm assuming she doesn't have to roll a black combat die, correct?

Also, with the dwarf's stubborn resolve ability, what does add two shields mean? Are they stored there until he needs them in combat to block wounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, the elf wouldn't bother engaging the enemy first, to avoid rolling a black die. You may want to do it situationally, such as to pull a monster away from another character. Also, if I remember correctly, there is a monster that can't be damaged if it is in the shadows.

The two shields on the dwarf means that it will protect against two damage done by rolling hits on the black dice used in that action. You cannot store them. You roll black dice for every monster engaged with you during an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Ohhh my brain wanted to think that you only roll black die when you attack. You do it on any action when any monster is engaged with you.

thanks a ton, you've been really helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adamson
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread really helped me understand the game as well. The rulebook is very unclear about when you flip over enemies face down in the shadows. It seems like there is a great deal of over-complicated wording in the rulebook that makes you second guess what you are reading.

I had the very same question, and even the FAQ doesn't answer it sufficiently, it just repeats the rulebook. But, to be clear, in the Enemy Phase, players take turns activating enemies, first engaged in front of them, then face-up in the shadows, then face-down in the shadows, in that order, until all enemies are activated.

Even if a hero has three enemies already engaged with them, they STILL activate face-down enemies, who will deal their damage, then return to the shadows face-up ready for next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.