Subject: fWar Matierlas Question and More rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SchizoCat1 SchizoCat1
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
German plays War Materials. So, Light Fire Table for RU LCU's.

First, I assume the a hex under attack containing both a Fort and a RU LCU still fires on the Light table, even though it would fire on the Heavy Table if defending alone or with a SCU. Correct?

Same: fort stacked with LCU stacked with SCU. Light Table, correct?

Now, assume RU Fort with 3 SCU's. Heavy Table, correct? Yet the 3 SCU's are effectively a RU LCU. Why not Light Table, i.e., you fire on the Light Table if you have a RU LCU or equivalent (which is either 3 SCUs ( a full strength LCU) or 2 LCU's (a half strength LCU). I find that more satisfactory but maybe not so good from a play balance perspective.

Nonetheless, this seems to be a hole in the card to me, or maybe I;m just being hypertechnical rules lawyer and a spoil sport and it's no wonder I don't have many friends.

Another question re War Materials. My pal is the Russian, we both hit Limited War in Turn 2,I pull War Materels, and in Turn 3 I pound the bejeepers out of him and he doesn't pull Polivanov at the end of the Turn and now he wants to take his ball and go home because he think War Materials card breaks the game if it is in effect for 3 or 4 turns.

What do you guys think? Is it a game breaker or is there a fix? He's kind of p!ssed. I like the game, but I think he has a point. OTOH, we've never gotten past Turn 4.

Finally, Strategy question. He steadfastly concentrates on the war in Prussia and AH and doesn't use the invasions cards and other stuff. I think he should. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Matusiewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
I'm not surprised by your pal's reaction :-) The Russian War Materiel Shortage and Polivanov are simply broken in my opinion. Only luck (or lack thereof) decides whether Russian War Materiel's impact is minor or game-breaking. Two or three turns of Russian Light Fire Table only may easily lead to total collapse of their front. And it takes away all the fun when the bulk of Allied forces is near useless for a few turns. It's certainly no fun for the AP player but also for the CP player when lucky draw makes his game so much easier. Been there, tested that :-)

Consider also that more advanced CP player will delay Bulgaria entry as long as possible, thus depriving the AP player of BR and FR LCUs. And the latest change to Italian setup make all IT LCUs start reduced. So it's entirely possible that the AP player's offensive power is non-existent for a few turns.

Basically it's up to you how to deal with that problem. I'd recommend a few house rules. Here's what we do:
1) Russian War Materiel Shortage makes Russians use Light Fore Table in attack only. They defend normally.
2) Bulgaria is not the only way to bring Allies to Lemnos in Limited War. I think that for the next game we're going to try solution suggested in other topic, i. e. Allied LCUs show up up on Lemnos two (FR) or three (BR) turns after the AP player enters Limited War.
3) We either disregard changes in the IT setup entirely or use the tweak from other thread (+3 IT RPs immediately after IT entry, +2 IT RPs for the next two replacement phases).

As your pal's AP strategy (focus on the Russian front)--I think it's wrong. There are so many and so good GE LCUs that barring major CP mistakes, the Russia-only strategy is a losing one. Not to mention that fighting in Italy, Balkans and Russia is fun. And all those precious IT and AP-A RPs don't go wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SchizoCat1 SchizoCat1
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, man. Very thoughtful. I'm going to run your suggestions past my best pal, who is a righteous dude when he isn't playing CDG's that he thinks are broken because they have killer cards. It's then when he switches from caffeine to cocaine and I start worrying about him.

Well, not really, but you get the point.

I would like very much to hear from Perry on this, though. I thought I saw a post earlier from him saying, in effect, tough luck, loser, the War Materiels shortage lasted for four turns in 1915. Perhaps true, but very unrighteous from my pal's perspective. Maybe we just go back to Liberty or Death, or Strike Force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Silverman
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so try these:

1. The effect of WAR MATERIEL SHORTAGE is one full turn (3 months), shortened if POLIVANOV is played before the end of the turn.

2. FR & BR LCUs enter the mapboard on Lemnos two turns (FR) and three turns (BR) turns after the AP player declares Serbian Collapse (26.6.2).

3. IT LCUs come onto the mapboard at full strength until IT Troop Quality = 1.

4. If an SCU occupies an undestroyed friendly Fort space, the Fort and SCU defend by using the Heavy Fire Table, just as if the defending units were a combination of SCUs and LCUs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SchizoCat1 SchizoCat1
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, Perry. Are these official or just off the rack so as to keep my pal happy? He's got a short fuse and is somewhat irascible, plus he's from Indiana. That's a lot to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Silverman
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Home rules. What’s the point of playing a game that you can’t enjoy? When I was playtesting for SPI, I changed rules on the fly all the time to make the game more fun. IoG is a game, not stone tablets handed down from Mt. Sinai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.