CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by a recent thread, On Owning Many Games, But Not Getting Them Played, as well as a geekmail from one of the good citizens of gamedom, I am here to save the day with a poll. You're welcome.

Like the subject says, are you generally interested in playing the same game more than once in a session? By "interested" I mean, you say "yeah, that sounds like fun, let's do it" even though you sometimes might prefer to play different games, you're still reasonably interested in playing the same game again.

I'm breaking the question down by game length, so there is more than once answer, in fact, one answer per line.

Poll
Are you interested in playing these length games more than once in a session (assuming you already like the game a fair bit, meaning it's an 8 or better for you)?
  Yes, often! Sometimes Not generally Very rarely Never
5-15 minutes
15-30 minutes
30-60 minutes
60-120 minutes
120-180 minutes
180+ minutes
      431 answers
Poll created by skutsch

And then, further inspired by the thread, do you usually play all most the games in your collection every year (and is it ok if you don't)?

Poll
Do you generally (most years) play most of the games you own each year?
Yes!
No, and I'm totally ok with that.
No, and I feel a little bad about that.
No, and I feel very bad about that.
      450 answers
Poll created by skutsch

And finally, a few more polls that I've previously made on this general topic. Feel free to answer if you want to add to our supply of pointless BGG knowledge!

NOTE: The polls below, unlike the previous polls, refer to all time, not just per year. In other words, how many or what percentage of your games have you never ever played.

Poll
What percentage of your games that you own have you not played yet?
0% - I play all my games.
1-10%
11-30%
31-50%
51-70%
71-90%
91-99%
100% - I never play any of my games.
      639 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Poll
How many of your games that you own have you not played yet?
0 - I play all my games.
1-3
4-10
11-20
21-40
41-100
101-300
301-1000
1001+
      607 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Poll
How do you feel about not playing games you own? (you can pick more than one answer)
I'm completely fine with it, I'll probably play them soon.
I'm completely fine with it, it's my money, my decision.
I feel a little guilty about it, I hope to play them soon.
I feel a little guilty about it, it may take me a long time to get to them.
I feel very guilty about it.
I'm beyond guilt and into shame.
Games should be played, anything else is a waste.
Part of why I buy games is just to own them, collect them.
      594 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Poll
Have you ever given away, sold, dumped a game that you'd never actually gotten around to playing (and that had been in your possession for at least a month)?
Yes
No
      617 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a question missing.

There is probably about 10% of my library that has been played by friends and family but not me (yet)

I game library is about people enjoying games. Doesn't have to be me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Most of the games I really like make the session, and usually illicit another hour of discussion after it.

My resolution of 2008 was to buy less fluff and have more experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for some of my favorite 1+ hour games, I generally prefer to not replay in the same session. Partially due to time constraints (I generally only have 1-2 hours per session) and partly due to time constraints again (I play once a week, under non-holiday season circumstances). If I can only play two games a week, I'd like to play two different ones to experience them.

I'm assuming "How many of your games have not been played?" refers to this year or each year, as opposed to "unplayed EVER" right?

I'm doing pretty well this year, my collection grew a lot and I played over half of them. The game groups I'm in tend towards Cult of the New, and my budget doesn't generally allow for that, so I play a lot of other peoples' games. Getting half of my games played is good in these circumstances, although I would be happier if that figure were closer to 90%.

Some games I own (Dead of Winter, Stock Market Game, Tragedy Looper) are simply not going to hit the table often, and I'm okay with that, because I really enjoy them when they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:

I'm assuming "How many of your games have not been played?" refers to this year or each year, as opposed to "unplayed EVER" right?

My bad, nope. The 2nd batch of polls were from an earlier post and are about games you've never played, not just per year. Edited in the post to make things clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
The games I typically like to play would be hard to play twice in one session. Just not enough hours in the evening. I like it when we finish a game & it instantly provokes discussion about what players should have done, could have done, will do next time etc.

I love when we get the same game to the table within a month or so, while it's still fresh. That's happened more often this year than the last couple, which I'm happy with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know...I don't feel like I have any obligation whatsoever to my games. No obligation to buy or not buy or to sell or not sell. No obligation to play or not play. Zip.

Pete (just does whatever he wants at any given moment)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
You know...I don't feel like I have any obligation whatsoever to my games. No obligation to buy or not buy or to sell or not sell. No obligation to play or not play. Zip.

Pete (just does whatever he wants at any given moment)

You crazy rebel (you)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of those rare board gamers that prefers to play the board games that I enjoy repeatedly. Partially because of that, our game purchases has gone down a lot over the past few years.

Looking back in 2017, we have only bought Tichu. And that is only because we found a much nicer edition of it available and we enjoy our Tichu games. We gave our old copy to my Significant Other's family as they learnt it from us and also enjoy it immensely.

800+ games of Agricola with Farmers of the Moor, 400+ games of Hive with the Mosquito and Ladybug, 150+ games of Three Kingdoms Redux, about 100 games of Love Letter, and most of our other favourite board games have seen 20+ plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered "never" to most time ranges, but there are a few exceptions that don't have to do directly with the duration of the games. Sometimes I play a campaign game more than once in one session (the latest two D&D boardgames in particular) or replay a cooperative/solo game if I lose two quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeoster wrote:
I am one of those rare board gamers that prefers to play the board games that I enjoy repeatedly.

I would love to play the games I love more. I just don't have easy & repeated access to friendly gamers to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My answers are wildly different if you use game to mean "the base game by itself and/or with any expansions added in" or "the base game OR a particular expansion" or "a specific ruleset, so that expansions with multiple modules are multiple types of games."

For example, I to this day have never played with Bioterrorist challenge of Pandemic's expansion On the Brink. I have several ancient ones to fight against. Also, I have several ancient ones to fight in Eldritch Horror and Arkham Horror; and I have many scenarios in many of my COIN game titles to play (I often play shorter solo scenarios due to time, so I haven't gotten through the longer ones). What you call a game really influences my answer to the question "what games that I own have I played?"

Now I really should be getting to Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain - but dang its a thick rulebook and I'm procrastinating while re-watching A Christmas Horror Story.

I also said it before, sometimes I buy games because they are aesthetically pleasing works of art or for the (historic) design content and not to ever play. Other times I buy for parts (for example, I am getting my wife an original Empire Builder with the metal trains to use in all the Mayfair Crayon Rail games and to have her play without Mexico so she can see how it homogenized the gameplay, while I'm hunting down copies with colored plastic color printed demand poker chips while I can find them). Not all games are for playing. I'm actually beyond both guilt and shame for not "playing every single game", just as I'm beyond "all video media should be for distributing educational and documentary material" and "all computers are for business and scientific endeavors only".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
My resolution of 2008 was to buy less fluff and have more experiences.

And this. Buy less fluff, have more experiences.

That works for "big" games, and it works for "small" games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only like playing the same game multiple times per session. "Play once, pack it up, move on the next one, repeat" drives me nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The question isn't if, but how often. While twice is a fine number so is three, four, six, twelve, fifteen and thirty seven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
The question isn't if, but how often. While twice is a fine number so is three, four, six, twelve, fifteen and thirty seven.

37 times in one session?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
My answer is a bit specific.

If I was completely in charge of what games I got to play. I would often play the same game multiple times. My playing group won't typically be up for that. We often have a few choices on the table at the start, play one, then play another from the pile. The exception to this is a game like Codenames that is pretty much designed to play at least a couple times in a row.

I would happily play Terra Mystica two times in a row, because I love it, but my play partners wouldn't likely want to do that. Which is fine. I would rather have gaming friends than only play game I want all the time.

The exception to this is Magic. Typically if we are doing a Magic night that is the only game that gets played at all and typically a lot of games in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
skutsch wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

37 times in one session?

Sure, or more. Its easier to get in a few hundred plays across a few months that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
skutsch wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

37 times in one session?

Sure, or more. Its easier to get in a few hundred plays across a few months that way.

By "session" I mean one relatively uninterrupted play session. Going to sleep would certainly break a session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
skutsch wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
skutsch wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

37 times in one session?

By "session" I mean one relatively uninterrupted play session. Going to sleep would certainly break a session.

Does this count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Eccles
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Alarm! Alarm!
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that playing the same 30+ min game multiple times in a session isn't done much in my gaming groups, but I have suggested it twice recently and both times everyone eagerly agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP text wrote:
do you usually play all the games in your collection every year

OP poll wrote:

Not sure what you intend by this... and if you mean "most", not "all", what is "most"? More than half? 95%? ...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

37 times in one session?

Some games are very short:

Rock, paper,scissors

Tic tac toe

In many card games, each hand can be viewed as a separate game. Not everyone plays these games as a campaign by keeping a running score.

Charades (I act out a word then someone says "let's play again")

I can even imagine playing "love letters" 37 times in a row. (if each game is considered separate from the next (which is how we play about half the time)

I have played a serious game of "for sale" in less than 3 minutes. So we could conceivably play a marathon 2 hour session of 37 games of it. But that is not what a filler is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
OP text wrote:
do you usually play all the games in your collection every year

OP poll wrote:

Not sure what you intend by this... and if you mean "most", not "all", what is "most"? More than half? 95%? ...?

Er, what contradiction? There is no contradiction (any more).

As for most, I mean >50%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the last question, I lied that I had never got rid of a game without having played it, because that's from a very long time ago when I was a non-gamer. I have every game still since I got into the hobby and I do not intend getting rid of anything until it has had at least three plays and I feel like I have got my money's worth out it!

I'm comfy that I have not played a lot of my games yet (maybe 50-60%).

I put in a lot of research and I learnt my taste, most of these I will like a lot, and I am pretty sure they will get three plays at some point, as I will have to let some go at some point and I mean to stick to my rule that I must play three times before offloading a game and I will probably do one in, one out for non-wargames next year.

I have more than doubled the size of my unplayed list since getting into wargames this year. I had a pretty good idea what I wanted and some of these games go out of print for several years or may not be printed again. And wargames is complicated as I wanted a spread covering various conflicts at different weights. I didn’t hang about for games that fitted my plans!

A lot of planning went into my wargames. I hope it will pay off over the coming years!

I am enjoying easing off on the research of new games. Like I haven't checked out many Euros this year and most wargame categories I am full for now.

"Guilt" isn't the right feeling for me. It's more, I'm cool if it takes a while, but I do want to get my unplayed list down to single numbers at some point. I want to make use of the stuff I have paid out for!

I'm not checking out Euros much these days as I am very happy with what I have got. Something will tend to need a very nice production quality now to catch my serious attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.