Subject: Best Pub Battle Yet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Strand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
It should be clear that I am a big fan of the Pub Battles system, and Antietam really takes the system out for a test drive that shows it handles the simulation of command issues elegantly.

I enjoy Brandywine, but it always left me thirsting for more, more commands and more variety. Antietam delivers. It follows in Command Post Games tradition of tackling battles that are thought by many to be unplayable.

Antietam as a game topic is often judged unplayable because unless you hamstring the Union player somewhat arbitrarily, it is hard in most games to make it fun to be the South.

PB Antietam doesn't need arbitrary rules. Its command chit draw makes this a balanced battle. The South won't "Win" most of the time, nor should they. They do have a fighting chance to make a good accounting of themselves.

With the multiplicity of commands, the North has a hard time attacking with any sizable force. The South has a real chance to frustrate the North's goals. Historically, McLellan had a difficult time organizing and effectively utilizing his full strength. History regards him poorly, but Antietam shows just what he was up against.

I don't play using the suggested victory conditions, I just fight the battle and try to imagine being Lee or McClellan, and then discussing with my opponent who won or lost. This is the way History does it. There is rarely a clear winner, especially in the ACW. Such a political war frequently saw both sides claiming victory.

This game frequently remains undecided til the last turn, and that makes for a fun game in anybody's book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just rec'd my Pub Battles: Marengo today, interesting to say the least (my first PB).

Antietam is next on my list, thanks for sharing your thoughts Mike - have you also tried the game solitaire (just curious)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both Antietam and Marengo solo multiple times amd really enjoyed it.

The chit pull system is perfect for solitaire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the Pub Battles system handle cavalry and combat in the ACW (whereas cavalry use in the Napoleonic era differed from cavalry use in the American Civil War era)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavalry units in Antietam only roll 2 dice in combat, but can retreat before combat.
There are no charge rules or bonus/penalties for cavalry vs spent/fresh infantry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Solitaire_ This is the way I play most of my games. I frequently (monthly) will play v a human opponent, but I always have a PB game set up in my home office, and play daily.

So, I heartily endorse it for solitaire. I find by removing the Alter Turn Order mechanic, and having to abide by the draw, does a fine job of preserving the Fog of War uncertainty. It also teaches one discipline regarding strategy. It teaches you to be less dependent. Then when you are playing a live opponent, it seems like an edge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.