Hide
7 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Question about the 'model-first' product rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Lee
msg tools
For example, Pariah is currently in stock without rules. I also read about the upcoming expansion related to him. My friend had bought Slenderman similarly (model only), and asked if he should purchase the Slenderman expansion again for the rules.

Is there any merit that I buy the 'model-first' product despite the lacking of rules, except for getting them much earlier?

Do I have to buy the same model when the expansion comes out later?

I apologize if this question has been already resolved; couldn't find the related thread here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb

There is no way to purchase the rules without the model, unless you find someone who bought the expansion and is selling the rules without the model.

Unless you want the mini for the mini itself, and don't want the rules or don't care about having (and paying for) the model twice, I'd wait and get the full expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Slaaneshian wrote:
For example, Pariah is currently in stock without rules. I also read about the upcoming expansion related to him. My friend had bought Slenderman similarly (model only), and asked if he should purchase the Slenderman expansion again for the rules.

Is there any merit that I buy the 'model-first' product despite the lacking of rules, except for getting them much earlier?

Do I have to buy the same model when the expansion comes out later?

I apologize if this question has been already resolved; couldn't find the related thread here.

In the majority of cases the minis sold without rules are resin rather than plastic. Think of any resin mini you buy as a collectible sculpture rather than a game piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The main difference is that miniature only on the website is resin. It is harder to model and assemble, more brittle and fragile, not overly suited as gaming pieces. But holds finer details much better than hard plastic. It is great for display. They also come with art cards.

If you are into modelling and painting to a reasonable level, go for the resins. If you are more interested in the game, then wait for the actual expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom death started from model designs. Poots still puts models out there as just models outside of the game. There are plenty of models available that have never and will never be a part of the game. The only advantage to buying these is if you enjoy the hobby of assembly and painting and wish to have them. I imagine that releasing the models to hobbyists first helps to pay for the production of the model that will then go into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lee
msg tools
Thanks for the perfect answers! I'd better waiting for the expansions then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are more than rules with the expansions. There are decks of cards and sprues for related armor and weapons, in most cases. I see no reason to ge the sculpt alone if it’s wanted for game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.