Subject: How to play the completed game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Walker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
After the 12 campaigns are over, how do you play the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you finish the campaign, it unlocks a few rule cards that cover existing rules, and explains a new setup mechanic where the color you choose is unimportant, and a few other spoily details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In post-campaign play, are all of the various accumulated advantages (for winning or losing previous games) replaced with a standardized common setup, then? I had been wondering about that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes they are. What you'll have is just a regular game you are used to, with standard setup and nothing that takes in consideration previous games regarding to advantages or anything like that. (of course the buildings you built will remain there). But nevermind all that, just play the game. When you get to the end of the 12th game, you'll get new rules that will tell you how to play the game from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the regular game after the campaign equally as fun as the 12 mission campaign? Does the game retain it's fun factor once you start playing the post-campaign game over and over as a regular game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff: I think the legacy features (permanence, discovery, naming, etc) make the campaign shine above the post-campaign version, but the post-campaign version wasn't a design afterthought. Others can weigh in here, but that's my perspective as the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what happens if you start playing the campaign, and you make mistakes and do poorly in the first mission or two. I'd like to start over, but it appears that it's impossible to start over, because things have become permanent.

All new games that folks play for the first time are learning experiences, and play is mostly suboptimal. How do you learn this game, if you have to just dive in with the campaign, and there's no turning back. It seems like you can spend $60+ for the game, and really screw yourself up and have an unenjoyable experience because you made mistakes in the first missions.

I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully someone can explain how this works, please.

Thanks! Oh, and thank you for responding! I'm honored that the designer responded!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key is the way permanence works in Charterstone. There isn't really such thing as a true mistake when it comes to permanence in this game. The reason is a core rule to the game: It's a worker-placement game in which you can place your workers on any building on the board. So even if you construct a few buildings that you decide aren't effective, it doesn't matter--you still have access to all other buildings on the board.

This is a generalization, and you can learn more by watching some of the reviews featured at the link below, but I just wanted to chime in about this. This isn't even a mission-based game. It's a campaign legacy game played over 12 games. You can't screw yourself in this game. Any suboptimal choices you make will be related to worker placement, not permanence, so in that way it's no different than any other Euro game.

https://stonemaiergames.com/games/charterstone/reviews-and-m...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you again. I just ordered the game and recharge pack on Amazon. It sounds like a fabulous and very unique game.

May I ask what legacy means regarding these types of games? Why the word legacy? What does it mean as relates to this type of game, please?

I'll shut up after this question. I promise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the leap, Jeff! "Legacy" means that game features permanent changes during each game that cannot be undone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I get what the legacy game series means. I just don't understand why the term legacy. Legacy doesn't mean permanent change. Just curious why the term legacy. Seems to not fit with the type of game this is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff: "Legacy" is a term coined by Rob Daviau when we created the legacy mechanism in a game called Risk Legacy. One of the dictionary definitions of "legacy" is "anything handed down from the past." That's why Rob used that term--when you open a legacy game after several plays, you will see permanent changes from the past that impact the present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. Thank you for taking the time to talk about that. It's very interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.