United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Anyone else playing solo have problems with inventory not cycling fast enough at the shop? I have been struggling big time to get a weapon of any kind. I can only deal with level 1 enemies with my fists.

The game I'm playing now, every round I spend 1 encounter action trying to shop (cycling a single card on the right), then running away from level 3 and level 2 tiles, with a mob of level 1s on my heel. shake

7 of my last 9 turns have been me dancing around Diamond City trying to find a weapon to buy. It's killing me that I've got 21 caps (traded "L" for perks several times) and the faction track is more than half way down the ladder.

Am I just as likely to find weapons doing quests instead? I can't imagine this being a problem in multiplayer games. Shopping just doesn't seem very thought out for solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudiger Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need a weapon. you don't even really need to kill higher level guys usually. If you get in a situation where you need to kill something high level there are a few things like the well rested condition or a few of the drugs that will give you rerolls and bonuses.
Looting ruins is also an option to get new items.

Weapons are rare in this game (there are only 3 in the shop deck) and are not crucial to winning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoodOlRudiger wrote:
You don't need a weapon. you don't even really need to kill higher level guys usually. If you get in a situation where you need to kill something high level there are a few things like the well rested condition or a few of the drugs that will give you rerolls and bonuses.

Weapons are rare in this game (there are only 3 in the shop deck) and are not crucial to winning the game.

This.

Also, level 1 and 2 ennemies are not that tough without a weapon. Level 3 ones should stil be avoided though.

Armors will be useful to move through ennemies and spaces with less difficulties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Yeah, I feel a bit screwed at this point as my wastelander is already addicted to chems trying to finish this kill 3 enemies of a certain type quest - all of which are really nasty lvl2-3 baddies. Back to shop cycling and camping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
Yeah, I feel a bit screwed at this point as my wastelander is already addicted to chems trying to finish this kill 3 enemies of a certain type quest - all of which are really nasty lvl2-3 baddies. Back to shop cycling and camping!

Oh right, some encounters in settlements will cycle the shop quicker. And a ruins encounter sidequest might give you a weapon.

And I know it wont help you in your actual session, but after 7 solo games, I have not meet yet such difficult situations, so your next games will surely be smoother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Knotts
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race?
badge
¡Viva la Revolución!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've solo'd twice and played 1 two-player match... in my experience, the shop has had little-to-no use (for buying, anyway). I've found that encountering ruins and focusing on baddies/quests with loot ends up yielding what I need... eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Great feedback, thanks guys. I think I need to change my mindset from the fragfest the recent fallout video games have become (e.g Nuka World, Automoton, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only three weapons in the Shop deck. About 1 in 8 cards. There are four in the Loot deck which is also about 1 in 8. Finally, there are 5 in the Unique Asset deck.

Since it's much faster to cycle through Loot cards than shop cards, Ruins encounter and killing monsters seem to be the fastest way of finding a weapon. There are good weapons as Quest rewards but I don't know what quests trigger them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Geez, it all makes sense now. This whole time I had thought I needed the Str stat to equip the tire iron, but that's not the case. I sold it early when I failed to get S after 3 level ups in hopes of clearing the shop inventory when a certain companion gave me a steep discount on certain items.

Ack... these rules are easy to misunderstand

response from a different, review thread:
Smoo wrote:
I'm confused by your anecdote about the tire iron. The claim that it's a useless card unless you have S is completely false. If you have S, that grants you an additional re-roll, but the tire iron has an inherent text ability that grants you a re-roll even without an S, it just has to be reset after use with a camp action. That makes it a great starting weapon, and the Wastelander is the only survivor which gets to start with a weapon. So it seems to me that at least part of your negative impression is based on a misunderstanding of a game rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Houston
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I don't use the shop much either, but a variant could be to recycle the entire shop every time the agenda deck is recycled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven DJ
Netherlands
flag msg tools
We've houseruled that, when shopping, you add cards equal to the level of the settlement. Makes for faster shopcycling and a way more fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GoodOlRudiger wrote:

While I don't think YOU are wrong, I feel that accepting this from the game is, well, wrong...

This is FALLOUT... I remember those games, poking your head out from your vault, feeling utterly lost and afraid, and the tiny amount of solace provided to you by finding that piddly little 10mm pistol... Sure - a boatfly took 20 shots to kill, but dammit man, at least you had a PIECE!!

I'd gladly tolerate harder enemies in exchange for more weapons and the FEELING of progressing in the game... In my solo play tonight, I "found" a minigun and oh my GOD the sheer power! I whomped that playthrough tonight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.