Charterstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Minion activation and a question on a Persona (SPOILERS) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Lawver
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
The minion's each have an ability that triggers when something happens with them. Are those abilities done before the building they are on, or after the building's ability, or is it up to the player which order they resolve?

Also, there is a Persona (sorry forget the number) that when you would gain an advantage card, you can gain one of the face up cards or one of the top 3 cards of the returning them in any order: Does this ability work that the player gets to look at the top 3 before deciding, or if they look at the top 3, they have to take one of them?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale: For minions, when you place the minion, they immediately gain the benefit. Then they pay the cost and gain the benefit of the building like any other worker.

In those "top 3" personas, if you choose to look at the top 3, you could put all 3 back in any order and choose a face-up card instead.

I'd recommend reading through the FAQ if you have a minute: https://stonemaiergames.com/games/charterstone/faq/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Lawver
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thank you! I had read through the FAQ and completely missed the bolder part about the buildings being second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcius Fabiani
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
"The game is afoot."
badge
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Dale: For minions, when you place the minion, they immediately gain the benefit. Then they pay the cost and gain the benefit of the building like any other worker.

In those "top 3" personas, if you choose to look at the top 3, you could put all 3 back in any order and choose a face-up card instead.

I'd recommend reading through the FAQ if you have a minute: https://stonemaiergames.com/games/charterstone/faq/

Jamey, my group arrived at this question in our last game (third episode). We are inclined to play by a house rule: the minion has to pay the cost of the building before activating its power and gaining the building’s benefit. We believe that the game will be a little bit tighter and the minions will not be so powerful, and we tend to prefer it this way. What are your thoughts about that? Will this approach mess with the balance of the game somehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcius: While I don't comment on specific house rules (obviously, as the designer, I prefer my rules), you're welcome to try anything you'd like!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The arguably most powerful minion rarely would be impacted by that timing rule. Three of the other minions gain some parity by not house ruling as described. The other two minions are like honey badger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@marciusfabiani: It will clearly adjust the balance at least a little; after all, that was why you're doing it, right? Here are the changes as I see them:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Ghost, Cat: no changes (sequence of costs and benefits doesn't matter)
Robot, Golem, Butler: clearly a nerf -- RAW allows you to use the minion benefit to pay for the building and house rule does not. (This is probably more significant for the Golem and Butler, though the Robot's benefit can be used to pay a building cost, too.)
Chef: there's a difference, here, but it's not clear whether it's net positive or negative. Per RAW, you gain no benefit if you haven't previously spent influence to the general supply, but if you have influence in the general supply, you can apply that toward a building's cost. Per the house rule, it become a rebate, allowing you to use buildings that cost an influence to supply "for free". So maybe a slight boost?

I guess I don't see a strong motivation to use that house rule, but if your group prefers it that way, I don't see anything all that unbalancing about it.

Edit: removed some redundant text I missed when I hit 'submit'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcius Fabiani
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
"The game is afoot."
badge
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments, guys! We’ve changed our mind and decided to go with the official rules. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.