Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After having played a few games I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to place the cyclist one at a time first clockwise and then counterclockwise (like in Catan). This seems like a more fair start. What are peoples thought on this? Any reason why the rules are as they are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Early Flamme Rouge prototype
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Victor,

That is how the rules started out. My intuition was the same as yours. However, I tested it and found the fairness claim to be false. It isn’t actually better to place first or last. Plus...

- It is much faster to set two at a time. Individual placement encourages largely irrelevant overthinking.
- It is easier to coordinate your riders if they are setup together, which leads to more interesting opening games choice wise.

In summary: Two at a time is faster, adds real choices, removes false choices.

Happy holiday racing
Asger Granerud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Asger is completely right. It may seem like starting in the front is a 3 energy advantage over those starting in the rear, but I have not observed any advantage, even between mindless muscle bots. Unlike Formula D and many other racing games where it's harder to pass and starting in the back can feel like a big disadvantage. I often just place all the cyclists randomly - it's the fastest. Or for Tours, sometimes I put the GC leader (and sprint and mountain leaders, if I'm tracking them separately) in the front right spot and then randomize the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Stringa
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I must have played over 100 stages by now and interestingly enough, we've only ever used that rule once.

For the first stage (we always play multiple stages) we just randomize the starting order by putting them in a box below the table and setting them up one by one. For the following stages we line up in reverse order of the general classification in the app.

Works for us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Steen Andersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
When we play, all riders start just before starting line. All the first card we play are put in one pile, which is then shuffled. We then draw one card and moves the corresponding rider into the track... and then the next rider in the pile, and so forth ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.