Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My First Twilight Imperium Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Sunday we took a day to play TI:4 This was my first time ever experiencing a TI game. There were 4 of us. The other 3 had all played TI:3, but only once. So super inexperienced group.

I chose Sardakk N'Orr. I felt like as a beginner taking the race thats power is just +1 on combat rolls was the right way to go. Seemed like a good beginner race. The other three were the Emirates of Hacan (trade powers), The Ghosts of Creuss (wormhole guys. They seem like they can move and expand fast), and The Universities of Jol-Nar (technology guys).

Explaining exactly how the game went is going to be difficult on just the one playthrough, but I will try my best. The first couple turns went pretty slowly as we were still figuring out what we were doing. I think this really hurt me. I was just worried about getting to people to attack than actually focused on how to get points. I also ignored researching to much in the early game. The Emirates were sticking to themselves and acquiring as many commodities to turn into trade goods for points as possible. The Ghosts were trying to move as quickly as possible to get to Mecatol Rex to start the political phase, and Jol-Nar was going hard into technology to buff mainly his defenses.

The middle of the game I was falling behind. Other people were accomplishing objectives and secret objectives and I was falling behind on points. The Ghosts had taken Mecatol Rex, and other than a few small skirmishes Jol Nar and Emirates were minding there own business building up. I was starting to get the hang of it though and I over took Mecatol Rex with 3 dreadnoughts and 4 infantry. I then started my comeback. A political objective came up that immediately gave someone a victory point, but it also made them a threat. If they lost a battle, they lost the victory point to the one that defeated them. They voted that on me, as I was currently in last place. So that bumped me up one. I completed a secret objective that bumped me up 1, and I amassed a large army on Mecatol Rex and took the number 8 tile as much as possible to score a point.

Since I was mainly holed up I started concentrating more on making the things I was defending stronger through upgrades. I upgraded my Planetary Defense System, and my dreadnoughts. Things were going well and I was leading with I think 8 victory points, but then everything came crashing down. The Emirates, and Jol-Nar had built up there engine to strong, and we waited to long to go on the offensive. It ended up being a 2 horse race between them, and the Emirates emerged victorious mainly though resources and trade goods.

In summary I believe we only messed up a few rules which was good. There was one time we let a person use bombardment on a planet that had a planetary defense system. We just missed it. There was also a couple times people used the secondary ability of Warfare and produced on planets that weren't their home system. I am sure we messed up more than that, but that was things we caught. It ended up taking 7 hours, but it really didn't feel that long. I truly feel like if we had played again right after it would have been 5 hours or less. All in all I really enjoyed it. Very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBlueOne37 wrote:
It ended up taking 7 hours, but it really didn't feel that long.

This is something I've always loved about the third edition (and fourth as well). The time just zooms by, and I always feel so engrossed in the game and what's going on that I don't notice how many hours it's taking. It does make it hard to get on the table because we have to plan for it, but it's worth it every time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
TheBlueOne37 wrote:
It ended up taking 7 hours, but it really didn't feel that long.

This is something I've always loved about the third edition (and fourth as well). The time just zooms by, and I always feel so engrossed in the game and what's going on that I don't notice how many hours it's taking. It does make it hard to get on the table because we have to plan for it, but it's worth it every time!

Our first game (5 of us, all new players) took 12 hours...

And we loved every minute of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Naz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBlueOne37 wrote:

In summary I believe we only messed up a few rules which was good. There was one time we let a person use bombardment on a planet that had a planetary defense system. We just missed it. There was also a couple times people used the secondary ability of Warfare and produced on planets that weren't their home system. I am sure we messed up more than that, but that was things we caught. It ended up taking 7 hours, but it really didn't feel that long. I truly feel like if we had played again right after it would have been 5 hours or less. All in all I really enjoyed it. Very good game.

Great report- those Space cats are pretty tough. If, in a 7 hour game, those are all the rules you missed, than your group is phenominal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.