10 Posts

Dinosaur Island» Forums » General

Subject: Gotta trust your players for this one rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
Seems like for Phase 3, the worker placement phase, since everyone can do this this simultaneously, you gotta trust that each player will be honest about dino creation, paying for and raising security level, etc. How has everyone played this phase...do you do it simultaneously or take turns just to keep everyone on check?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muskett32 wrote:
Seems like for Phase 3, the worker placement phase, since everyone can do this this simultaneously, you gotta trust that each player will be honest about dino creation, paying for and raising security level, etc. How has everyone played this phase...do you do it simultaneously or take turns just to keep everyone on check?

Do you play with people you don't trust?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
muskett32 wrote:

Yes, my kids. Lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's designed to be played simultaneously.

Feel free to play it differently, but it will have a dramatic impact on play time.

If you're playing with a younger player, you may need to help / check them for mistakes. It's generally pretty easy to look at the game state before and after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muskett32 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
muskett32 wrote:

Yes, my kids. Lol.

QFT

Joking aside I don't think my son would ever cheat, knowingly, at a board game. This is the kid who was told "You're grounded from TV and Computer screens until you're caught up on all your homework" and then went into an infinite tear loop because his homework was to type a paper...

But "cheating" in the sense of "oops, I can't do that?" Oh yeah.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Anytime there is a simultaneous action phase in a game, I always ask new players if they want to do it in player order for a round or two, to ensure everyone knows what they're doing. After that, it's trust and go.

In Dinosaur Island, one thing that I keep forgetting to do is place a worker on the Make Dinosaur spot when creating a dinosaur. I'm so focused on managing my DNA reserves that I forget to place the worker. This is especially true when I do the Increase Paddock/Create DNA/Create Dinosaur action chain. I remember the workers for the Paddock and DNA actions, then I spend my DNA and add the dino meeple without placing the Make Dinosaur worker first. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Windy City Meeple
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
At a minimum i review what everyone did quick and then check threat and excitement levels before phase 4.

With new players the first two to three round we do it in player order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
muskett32 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
muskett32 wrote:

Yes, my kids. Lol.

QFT

Joking aside I don't think my son would ever cheat, knowingly, at a board game. This is the kid who was told "You're grounded from TV and Computer screens until you're caught up on all your homework" and then went into an infinite tear loop because his homework was to type a paper...

But "cheating" in the sense of "oops, I can't do that?" Oh yeah.....

Lol. Yea, I guess that’s what I meant to say. Making sure everyone does it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
Bryan605 wrote:
At a minimum i review what everyone did quick and then check threat and excitement levels before phase 4.

With new players the first two to three round we do it in player order.

I like that. That sounds like a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Barriere
Canada
flag msg tools
I accidentally kept grabbing workers from my side pool instead of my actual usable pool. We were taking turns so it was noticed every time.
Eventually I put the extra meeples far away from my board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.