Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Santa's Workshop» Forums » General

Subject: Board warping rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barbara Leandri
United States
Westbrook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I have noticed to our dismay that during game play the board starting warping and got worse as we played
I have put some heavy books on it and will hope tomorrow it will work..
Anyone else having this problem?
If it doesnt work I am hoping Rio or the designer will be able to swap this one out for a new one..
Happy Holidays!!
Barbmeeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you expect the designer to swap out the board? It’s a publisher issue definitely. Hopefully it was just a humidity issue when it was assembled in China and will settle down after a bit of time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Leandri
United States
Westbrook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
You right,(not sure what I was thinking)soblue
I will contact publisher if the board fails to smooth itself out...just wondering if anyone else had this issue..
Barbmeeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ferguson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Barb -

I noticed some warping in 2 of the copies I received as well.

I piled some other games on top of the board overnight, and it seemed to help - there was significantly less warping the next time we played it (I packed it up in the box in the morning, and didn't break it out until the evening, so it wasn't just a case of taking the heavy boxes off and immediately playing).

FYI, the boards were printed here in the U.S., not in China.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Todd
United States
Canton
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our copy for the first time two days ago and the board was noticeably warped. Not sure if it came out of the box that way or if it happened as it sat on the table before play, as my son set it up. It wasn't enough to make the game unplayable but certain was disheartening!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Leandri
United States
Westbrook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried stacking other heavy games on it and it fixed it "temporarily"
It's warped again👎
Too bad too because we enjoy the game
Wish something could be done (bah-humbug)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Olson
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Gimme back my hand!
badge
Beware the Jabberwock my son!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm....I just ordered and now a bit anxious about it. Does the board look fine when initially opened but then warp over time? Any tips/tricks to minimize/eliminate outside of the "heavy games" trick?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Leandri
United States
Westbrook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine showed signs right away but usually bending a normal board the other way at the seams does the trick.
I think it has something to do with the size and its quadrant folding mechanism ..I am just going to put the games on it for weight a day or two before we play
It's not severely warped but is a bit annoying
Happy Holidays
Barbmeeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ferguson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's annoying, but certainly doesn't make the game unplayable. Usually some "back bending" helps. Putting weight on top for a day or two did help...but it has warped a bit back for me...though not as bad as the original warping. I may try to put something on it that "back bends" it slightly overnight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ferguson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks -

I edited part of my last post, because in my haste to try and be helpful, I misspoke. If you continue to have issues with a warping board, and some minor actions like piling stuff on it overnight don't seem to resolve the issue, please do contact Rio Grande and let them know about it - they may be able to help resolve the issue. My apologies for the confusion.

Here's a direct link to their customer service page:

http://riograndegames.com/customer-service

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Leandri
United States
Westbrook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!!
Happy Holidays
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Add my copy to the list of board warping issues. Going to try the press thing to see if it can be fixed. But yes, the warping got pretty bad as the game was going on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McGraw
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Just played our first game (loved it) and the board was somewhat warped after the first opening of the materials. As we played the game, it became unbelievably warped over the course of the next few hours (we took some Christmas breaks). I will be contacting Rio about this, especially since this appears to be a bigger issue. Hope this can be remedied as we all loved the game, but I have never had a board warp this terribly. Really disappointed. It was actually sloping in certain spots.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McGraw
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KTFerguson wrote:
Hi folks -

I edited part of my last post, because in my haste to try and be helpful, I misspoke. If you continue to have issues with a warping board, and some minor actions like piling stuff on it overnight don't seem to resolve the issue, please do contact Rio Grande and let them know about it - they may be able to help resolve the issue. My apologies for the confusion.

Here's a direct link to their customer service page:

http://riograndegames.com/customer-service



Has anyone submitted a note to Rio Grande and gotten a response? I contacted them probably right around when this link was posted and never heard from them. I just sent another letter to them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We pulled this game out the other night for the first play of the season. The game is great, and we really enjoyed it. BUT...the board came out severely warped after sitting in the box since last Christmas season. Last year, we didn't experience any problems, and I recall seeing this thread and thinking "I'm glad our copy is fine." This year, not so lucky. Part of the board is concave with the edges lifting off the table, while the other part is convex, giving it a domed effect. We mitigated things with some back-bending, but sadly, it didn't solve the issues completely. We still really enjoyed the game, which has a permanent spot in our collection, so this isn't a deal breaker. But this board issue does seem to be a common one, and I was bummed to encounter it after thinking I dodged a bullet last year.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McGraw
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:
We pulled this game out the other night for the first play of the season. The game is great, and we really enjoyed it. BUT...the board came out severely warped after sitting in the box since last Christmas season. Last year, we didn't experience any problems, and I recall seeing this thread and thinking "I'm glad our copy is fine." This year, not so lucky. Part of the board is concave with the edges lifting off the table, while the other part is convex, giving it a domed effect. We mitigated things with some back-bending, but sadly, it didn't solve the issues completely. We still really enjoyed the game, which has a permanent spot in our collection, so this isn't a deal breaker. But this board issue does seem to be a common one, and I was bummed to encounter it after thinking I dodged a bullet last year.


Oh, man. I am scared to break it out now in a few weeks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ferguson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
everlast80 wrote:
mrblueesq wrote:
We pulled this game out the other night for the first play of the season. The game is great, and we really enjoyed it. BUT...the board came out severely warped after sitting in the box since last Christmas season. Last year, we didn't experience any problems, and I recall seeing this thread and thinking "I'm glad our copy is fine." This year, not so lucky. Part of the board is concave with the edges lifting off the table, while the other part is convex, giving it a domed effect. We mitigated things with some back-bending, but sadly, it didn't solve the issues completely. We still really enjoyed the game, which has a permanent spot in our collection, so this isn't a deal breaker. But this board issue does seem to be a common one, and I was bummed to encounter it after thinking I dodged a bullet last year.


Oh, man. I am scared to break it out now in a few weeks.


Well, why wait...go ahead and break it now! But really, I encourage anyone to contact Rio Grande via the customer service link I posted earlier in the thread.

And thank you for the kind words about the game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McGraw
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, twist my arm! Maybe it will make an appearance this weekend! And Rio was fantastically accommodating last year once I received contact from them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.