Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Turner
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Submitted for your consideration; 5 new factions for High Frontier.

Dropbox link

These are just some ideas. They haven't been thoroughly researched for scientific accuracy and there hasn't been any play-testing.

Comments are welcome. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ROSKOSMOS - in the Caolonization game (with Bernals), its sole ability remains 12-10 thrutster, since HEO boosting may be of a lower use. Was this intended? Indeed 12-10 is a nice ability even without additional abilities (as ESA's Bernal 6-2).
Please also note that the War Declaration ability is lost in your design. I would restore it for Colonization to counter the diminished value of HEO boosting.
TELEPRESENCE - please clarify if this presence is sufficient to establish a colony. Reword it so it is not. Also 10-4 buggy is quite a powerful.
KARI - I would stick with ANONYMOUS and preserve its wonderful buggy since its very Green technology (imagine Calypso + Anonymou's buggy prospecting a comet).
AEB - same issue - I'd prefer B612 and non-recurring 8-8 Buggy (since UN has the same). Mass 0 B612 crew is a fresh air -why to replace it with mass 2?
SPACE X - less powerful than 1WT for any boost - should be a bit better ability

CORRUPTION - who would free market at 2WT market value? Do you mean black cards?
HEGEMONY - far superior than default UN policy. Perhaps restrict to Recruit only? Purple policies affect all players equally.
SUFFRAGISTS - once in a game ability as a policy? White policies tend to restrict all non-white players. I think this should be preserved.
MONOPOLY - green policies tend to restrict all players. This does not.
INDUSTRIALIST - orange policies tend to affect all players, not only orange player.

Bernal abilities - I don't have thoughs on these since I prefer Andrew Doull's design of radical Bernals.

I would like someone designed an outstanding radical faction abilities and radical politics - for the purpose of inclusion in High Frontier Lite as a bonus material. I think these designs presented here are promosing but need refactoring before an inclusion proposal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To help design balanced radical policies, one could look at the Colonists' abilities of the colour. They are good indicator of how to proceed.
Example:
- Promoted Red Colonist Group Mind Immortalists has the ability to hostile recruit Colonists without loyalty - exactly the same as Red Policy.
- Promoted White Colonists have abilities to devoid other players of taking actions, e.g. promoting a card or using a Robot - similar to the actual White policies
- Promoted Green Colonist New Attica Seccessionists has the ability to double the boost cost - harming all players involved, including Green - similar to the actual harming Green policies
Also keep in mind that White and Green should have two policies available - for each of the policy spots.

I invite you to share proposals for radical policies and radical faction abilities - they have substantial chance to affect High Frontier Lite and maybe the 4th edition. The goal is to make factions more differ each other. Also some boring crew composition could be altered (I'm referring to the actual ISRO/ROSKOSMOS 6-8 Raygun which are duplicates of Shimizu; SPACE X 10-8 mass 1 Missile which is a duplicate of NASA/ESA/China; B612 mass 0 crew is original enough and Anonymous 6-8 Buggy is also one of its kind).
For Bernals perhaps the engines could be reworked (Andrew's design while introducing two fantastic Sails for two radical Bernals, still copies the existing 3-3 dirt and 7-4 water engines). The Bernal abilities could also be of a discussion, but later.
If you agree, we can switch this thread to this kind of a discussion. If not, sorry for the interference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Turner
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Pawel!!! Your comments and suggestions have been hugely helpful. Here's an updated version of the file...

HFExtraFactions20171223.pdf on Dropbox

One thing I failed to make clear is the purpose of the extra factions is extend the number available from 5 to 10. They aren't intended to replace the legacy or radical factions.

So if you’re playing a game with legacy and extra factions, the 1st player has 10 factions to choose from, the 2nd player 9, etc. So a 5 player game has 30k possible combinations of factions instead of just 1.

To make this clearer, the updated cards now have their own colors.

improove wrote:
ROSKOSMOS - in the Caolonization game (with Bernals), its sole ability remains 12-10 thrutster, since HEO boosting may be of a lower use. Was this intended?

Yes, mostly because there was no room left on the card.

improove wrote:
Please also note that the War Declaration ability is lost in your design.

The PRC still has War Declaration. There's no reason the PRC and ROSCOSMOS can't be used in the same game and the goal is to keep all factions unique.

improove wrote:
TELEPRESENCE - please clarify if this presence is sufficient to establish a colony. Reword it so it is not.

Good point! Done!

improove wrote:
Also 10-4 buggy is quite a powerful.

Should have been 10-8, of course. Fixed!

improove wrote:
KARI - I would stick with ANONYMOUS and preserve its wonderful buggy since its very Green technology.

Buggy added, although KARI may or may not be green.

improove wrote:
AEB - same issue - I'd prefer B612 and non-recurring 8-8 Buggy (since UN has the same)

You're suggesting no buggy for AEB? Done.

improove wrote:
Mass 0 B612 crew is a fresh air -why to replace it with mass 2?

AEB has the Large Crew privilege which would logically require a bigger module with more mass. But I did change the ISRO capsule to mass 0 because they use Telepresence which would logically reduce the size of crew needed.

improove wrote:
SPACE X - less powerful than 1WT for any boost - should be a bit better ability

I can’t argue. How about giving them mobile factories even without a promoted freighter? Plus make their thruster 8-6.

improove wrote:
CORRUPTION - who would free market at 2WT market value? Do you mean black cards?

Yes, black cards were intended but you’re right; this is pretty weak if ROSCOSMOS ends up with the red pieces. So I replaced Corruption with Expropriate.

improove wrote:
SUFFRAGISTS - once in a game ability as a policy?

Another good point. Changed to Uplift.

improove wrote:
Bernal abilities - I don't have thoughs on these since I prefer Andrew Doull's design of radical Bernals.

Sounds interesting! I haven't heard of radical Bernals and I didn't see them in the files section. Where can I find them?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The change of colours of factions has a singificant impact to the balance. There are no corresponding colonists to the new colours. And colonists have loyalty. So in order to introduce a completely new colour (or a radical faction with a different colour) one needs to create new (radical) colonists. And this means more cards also in other decks to balance the exteension (thrusters, robonauts, freighters) since there will be e.g. more futures to balance.
So we need to stay with the already existing colours until we adopt new cards of other decks.
More cards is not currently a goal in High Frontier Lite (other than some bonus radical Bernals, radical policies and more glories) but who knows...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a solution is to assign each Colonist type a secondary color they could/would be loyal to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Turner
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentlemen, please check out the text on page 4...

"Choose Colors: First, players with standard
factions take the pieces that match the color
of their crew cards. Then players with extra
factions choose from the remaining colors.
Choose randomly or take turns as preferred.

For all game purposes (Bernal orbit, votes,
hostile recruit, politics, etc.) your faction col-
or is the color of your pieces. If AEB takes
the green pieces, AEB is the green faction."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Turner
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's an update with a few tweaks to the crew cards...

HFExtraFactions20180103.pdf

My buddy Thad and I tried out the extra factions by playing the excellent Quest for Glory scenario. We took SpaceX and AEB with a random draw.

SpaceX worked out great. The free boost privilege was almost like having skunkworks. I was able to constantly boost low mass cards to my Bernal so my hand was free for cheap Research Ops.

The AEB should be good for colony dome points in a Basic or Colonization game. But in Quest for Glory their privilege was pretty useless. I'm not ready to throw them out, but they certainly aren't suited for this scenario.

Which segues into a new subtopic in the next panel...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Turner
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I had two new thoughts...

1. Not all factions are created equal. IMHO, NASA and the UN are preferable over the PRC. When gaming with a mix of new and experienced players, we give a new guy NASA and an experienced guy the PRC as a handicap.

2. A given faction may be good in one game but weak in another. For example, the Shimzu skunkworks is great in a Colonization game with 6 to 9 patent decks. But the privilege seldom comes into play in a Basic game with only 3 decks.

I tried to summarize this below. A '+' means strong, '-' weak, and 'o' middling. The Quest column is for the Quest for Glory scenario.

I keep this with my copy so players can choose among the '+'s and 'o's and use the '-'s to handicap.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.