Subject: Personal Quest...ion [Spoilers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
More of a general topic for discussion than a Rules question, hence this forum.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
For those of you've gotten Trophy Hunt, you know that you have to retire after killing twenty different types of monsters, and this was later clarified to mean that Black Imps and Forest Imps, while both Imps sharing an ability card set, are different types because they have their own stat cards. So this is about personal preference more than rules:

If you've killed 19 different types and the 20th, say a Living Corpse, is shuffling towards you, mocking you with its long dead eyes, would you kill the Living Corpse because that was literally your character's goal in life, or would you try to hurt it and let someone else finish it off because you are loving that character? This came up recently while I was teaching two new folk the game. I had this Level 6 Brute would was dressed to the nines and had a great attack mod deck, but ultimately decided that not only would it make the scenario too hard for the Level 1 characters if I didn't go all out, but if it's the character's life goal, it seems he would want to accomplish it asap. Or maybe he savors the killing and wants to make it last?

There's no right answer, but my question is: how much do you roleplay personal quests? Have you held off on personal quests because you've fallen in love with that character and he or she is a beast? Or do you cash out right away to see the new class and apply those bonus perks? Or do you cash out not cause of the perks but because it's the right "roleplaying" move. Would love to hear from you all!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justinas K.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the same quest with my first character (mindthief) and for all the reasons you've mentioned i did all i could to accomplish that goal.

that is part of the reason you don't discuss in extreme detail what you are going to do with other party members. the personal goals, battle goals all those adds to what is that specific character is going to do unpredictable maybe.

These questions arise nonetheless with quests that you can actually do something about. I'd say if the goal is right in front of you your character should try to do everything he can to accomplish it.

What i've noticed with quest you CAN'T do anything to make it faster or slower... those are frustrating.. it doesn't matter if you like your character or not, it might be me, but what i can't control to at least some degree - i don't like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never did any real role-playing. The prospect of unlocking stuff and exploring a new class was much more interesting to me than playing a well-liked character, so I always tried to fulfill personal quests ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has definitely gone both ways as far as hanging onto favourite characters or pushing to retire. I always try to go for a roleplayig story driven reason for which life goal I choose and so will pick based on that before worrying about what it unlocks. For this reason I've gotten a lot of random scenarios and items on my unlocks. I think this makes me personally more inclined to hang onto a character a little longer. At least up until my role playing mind can't think of any reasons to stall any longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The desire for me to see what new classes exist outweighs the attachment I have to any one of my characters. I don't roleplay, but I sure as heck am trying to retire characters as soon as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
You could always create a new character of the same class if you really like playing a specific class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY PAQUETTE
United States
ATTLEBORO
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
I never did any real role-playing. The prospect of unlocking stuff and exploring a new class was much more interesting to me than playing a well-liked character, so I always tried to fulfill personal quests ASAP.

Considering the character's quest is their entire reason for questing, it seems more in the spirit of role playing to push to complete their goal than it does to hold off because you like to play that character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.