Popular Tags: [View All]
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is home from college for Christmas, so we thought we'd give our first Mythic Battles : Pantheon game a run.

Setup

We followed 2 Player Skirmish rules on the Olympus in Ruins map except we used 13 RP because we didn't think we were quite ready for 18. This equated to basically 1 God, 1 Monster, 1 Hero, and 1 Troop.:

Son 1: Zeus, Odysseus, Medusa, Infernal Warriors
Dad: Ares, Leonidas, Minotaur, Spartans

We used official trees from my Heroscape collection and some custom ruins I had made long ago. Miniatures were naked grey because I'm waiting to get my Army Painter mega starter set for Christmas. Epic Battle music on youtube was playing in the background...

Early Game

We got our monsters, heroes, and troops out early. Gods were last to deploy. I set up the Minotaur in a strategic location to charge my son's forces once he started moving them to mid-board.

Both of us got our Hero Leaders out with their troops and had a nice little skirmish in the middle. Who says troops aren't worth it? We thought it was kinda cool how we tried to soften each other up with the troops knowing they could come back later for more strategic uses.

Just as we ran out of the first deck, the game seemed to pick up and everybody dove into the fray.

Mid Game

My Minotaur gambit payed off as I charged into the heart of his forces...his troops, heroes, and even Zeus all focused on dealing with the flailing beast while Ares (in a very un-God of War-like manner) skirted around to the field of Omphalos and began harvesting.

The Minotaur finally went down but my son realized my plan too late. By then Ares was emboldened with three omphalos absorbed and one right in front of him. Ares, Leonidas, and the recalled Spartans were ready to face an onslaught.

Turning Point?

In my hubris though, I forgot to keep track of Medusa. I wasn't worried because I thought my son would keep her on her rock perch reigning arrows down on my shield wall...but instead, he sprung her into the midst of the Spartan 3(00) and petrified them all and Leonidas.

Even worse, Ares had burned through his activations (with a lot of deck to go) so could only stand and stare as Zeus and his minions rushed toward him.

End Game

The final turns were a Divinity Deathmatch as Zeus and Ares slugged it out. Zeus couldn't get a good line of sight so just dove in for hand-to-hand melee. Ares just tried to hold on until I could pull his one remaining activation in the draw pile (I was out of AoW cards too).

It looked like my son might turn the tide, but he made a fatal mistake and did a Mighty Throw of Ares into a space with an abandoned omphalos. Just then I pulled Ares' final activation and he absorbed the final omphalos for a victory...having hardly swung his sword the whole game.

Final Thoughts

What an awesome game! So many layers, decision points, "did you think of that?"s, cinematic moments, surprises, tactical frustrations (in a good way), lead changes, strategic set ups, etc.

We got a few things wrong and had a few questions, but it was loads of fun. We're spent a long time after talking about rules, powers, and what we liked about the game.

We've played a lot of miniatures games over the years and so far, this one is rocking it!

Omphalos victory
WIN: Dad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First Full Game Report: "How Un-Ares of You"
Here's some of our other games:

Game 2: 3 player free-for-all, Olympus in Ruins

Son 2: Zeus, Leonidas, Odysseus, Spartans, Basilisk
Dad: Hades, Cerberus, Oedipus, Aeacus, Infernal Hounds
Son 1: Athena, Minotaur, Minos, Rhadamanthus, Hoplites

Son 2 got out early with the Basilisk and caused trouble.
Cerberus and Hades charged Athena.
Infernal Hounds surrounded Basilisk.
Ultimately Hades and Athena wore each other down so Zues came in for an easy clean up.

God Victory
WIN: Son 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 3: 3 player free-for-all, Tartarus

Son 2: Ares, Manticore, Agememnon, Amazons, Centaurs
Dad: Zeus, Basilisk, Odysseus, Diomedes, Infernal Warriors
Son 1: Athena, Leonidas, Hydra, Hoplites, Paris

Manticore came out early and scared Zeus back.
Diomedes went out into the middle but was never a factor.
Amazons got on a rock and didn't do much.
Athena turtled in a cage with Leonidas & the Hoplites filling the area
Hydra stood guard as Ares came in...

Big monsters had a three way throwdown in front of the cage

Athena and her troops managed to fend off Ares
Ultimately Zeus waded in and electrocuted a weakened Ares.
Athena and her tight troops pulled out the win.

God Victory
WIN: Son 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 4: 3 player free-for-all, Olympus

Dad: Ares, Medusa, Achilles, Minotaur
Son 3: Zeus, Manticore, Odysseus, Hoplites, Amazons
Son 1: Athena, Hydra, Heracles, Atalanta

Son 3 was home for Christmas so this was a learning game for him, while Dad and Son 1 tried some new strats.

Ultimately Ares and Athena went at it and Zeus came in for clean up.

God Victory
Win: Son 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 5: 4 player free-for-all, Olympus

Dad: Athena, Cerberus, Leonidas, Spartans
Son 1: Hades, Hydra, Agamemnon, Infernal Warriors
Son 2: Zeus, Chimera, Odysseus, Hoplites
Son 3: Ares, Manticore, Diomedes

This was the big 4 player battle we had been building toward with all the boys in one spot. Everyone had at least one game under their belt and at least one win...so it could go to anybody.

I was trying to duplicate Son 1's Athena/Leonidas combo which had served him pretty well previously.

Son 1 was trying something new (for him), discerning that Hades was probably the weakest god of the bunch and looking to take on the challenge.

Son 2 always uses new monsters, so Chimera was a no brainer for him. He also wanted some more AoW's so went with Odysseus.

Son 3 wanted some punch so went with Ares and Manticore (based on last game success). We warned him off Diomedes, but he wouldn't listen.

Game notes:
-The game progressed as some others with the big monsters getting out early and banging heads.
-I wasn't able to use Athena as effectively as my son, so struggled a bit.
-Son 3 Evaded with Manticore 3 times in a row to keep him full strength.
-Ares was very un-Ares again
-Diomedes did nothing again

Somehow Son 3 pulled an upset and won with Ares the Omphalos Farmer.

Omphalos victory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Bedarev
Germany
Munich, Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools

I was trying to duplicate Son 1's Athena/Leonidas combo which had served him pretty well previously.

*Whenever Athena is the target of an attack. Leonidas uses Guard to become the target, then Wall of Shields (even if the troops are incomplete) to make troops the target.

Sorry but you can't do above, you can declare a guard or "Wall of Shields", you can't use both one after another. With "Wall of Shields" he can protect only himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ademnon wrote:

*Whenever Athena is the target of an attack. Leonidas uses Guard to become the target, then Wall of Shields (even if the troops are incomplete) to make troops the target.

Sorry but you can't do above, you can declare a guard or "Wall of Shields", you can't use both one after another. With "Wall of Shields" he can protect only himself.

Good catch. Didn't see that last sentence. I will have to bring that up with him. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 6: 3 player free-for-all, Tartarus

Dad: Hades, Manticore, Heracles, Infernal Hounds
Son 1: Zeus, Leonidas, Agamemnon, Basalisk, Hoplites
Son 3: Ares, Minotaur, Odysseus, Rhadamanthus, Centaurs

Manticore and Basalisk fought early.
Hades got trapped in a cage by Leonidas & Hoplites.

The rest of the details are sketchy...

Omphalos Victory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 7: 2 player skirmish, Minos Labyrinth

Dad: Zeus, Heracles, Ajax, Chimera, Amazons
Son 1: Ares, Leonidas, Penthesilea, Basilisk, Paris

1vs1 rematch with Son 1.

Neither had done Labyrinth so we were both trying to figure it out.
Kind of split our forces... gods down on the lower floor.
First time with Ajax so I tried to get him out early, with Chimera as wing-man.
Son set up a nice little triangle with Leonidas, Ares, and Basilisk ready in the flank.

Ended up being a slug-fest with Ares going full Ares on Zeus.

God Victory
Win: Son 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 8: 3 player free-for-all, River Styx

Dad: Athena, Leonidas, Medusa, Odysseus, Hoplites
Son 1: Hades, Radamanthas, Oedipus, Hydra, Infernal Warriors
Son 2: Ares, Fox, Paris, Minos, Atalanta

We had our doubts and questions about the Styx rifts...

Son 1 Hydra rushed over to Dad's army to Onslaught.
Fox went scouting for gems.
Radamanthas did so gem collecting.
Atalanta and Paris went up on a rock, but didn't get many shots off because everyone stayed out of range.
Minos couldn't move past the rift so didn't do much.
Ares beat up on Hades, but strangely didn't finish him off before running over to deal with Athena's omphalos gathering.
It seemed Athena was going to win it but Leonidas got tied up in the rift and she got slogged down in the swamp.
Medusa tried to position to take out Ares, but he was too fast.
While Ares tried to finish off Athena, Hades made some bold moves and lucky rolls to come back from the brink of death and take the win by collecting enough omphalos.

This was the weirdest game yet..nothing went the way we thought it would and the map layout messed with our heads a lot.

It's never over until it's over!

Omphalos Victory
Win: Son 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Bedarev
Germany
Munich, Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Hello Sir,

Thank for you for a brilliant report. Would you be so kind and explain your doubts and questions about the Styx rifts and a map in general.

We're going to play it tomorrow.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ademnon wrote:
Hello Sir,

Thank for you for a brilliant report. Would you be so kind and explain your doubts and questions about the Styx rifts and a map in general.

We're going to play it tomorrow.

Thank you!

The biggest and most obvious question is the ruling on moving through rifts.. from Topics for FAQ:

What is the rule for River Styx movement through rift?
In English rules, "Each rift area costs 2 of the unit’s movement to enter." which precludes some divinities from crossing. But French rules reportedly say "costs 1 extra to move through"? Are English rules incorrect?
Movement 1 Gods and Rifts

We played using English rules which meant Leonidas got stuck and Minos couldn't move past rifts.

Beyond that, the long areas that connect in weird ways threw us off, especially for ranged attacks.

It definitely added some "gameiness" which took away from the thematic play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 9: 3 player free-for-all, Volcano

First game since receiving my second shipment, so there were a lot more options!

Dad: Pan, Cecrops, Prometheus, Caucasian Eagle, Satyrs (free), Infernal Artillerymen
Son 1: Apollo, Odysseus, Colchidian Bull, Arachne, Giant Spiders (free), Toxotai
Son 2: Artemis, Griffon, Acamas, Eurytos, Hounds of Artemis (free)

Apollo & Artemis got their full forces out quickly and cohesively...

But Pan was a little slower to deploy, instead sending the Eagle out to claim some omphalos. Eurytos dissuaded him.

Acamas and the bull got into it in the lava trench before Bull charged and hit and threw Artemis.

Griffon made a bold move...flew over and attacked Apollo viciously with back-to-back activations and Swift Talon/Initiative. She is a beast!

Ultimately Griffon killed off Apollo and Prometheus came over to Block and beat down a cowering Artemis. Pan did a final Panic to kill off Artemis.

This one felt really good. This map is very open and non-shooters quickly realized they would be picked off if they didn't rush in.
Quickest game yet.

God Victory
Win: Dad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the Florian Trout
United States
Arvada
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i was wondering when you would start using different Gods. i noticed the inclusion of monsters/heroes and figured you'd get there at some point.

thanks for sharing, good stuffs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.